• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Space heater for garage

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don't know what is the primary heat for the house. Oil, gas, electric, hot air, hydronic? Maybe a zone / loop can be added.
Not too comfortable with unvented combustion type heaters indoors.

Agreed. Even in an incomplete structure partially open to the outdoors the fumes can build up. I would not use one in a closed garage.

I'd probably go with two smaller strategically placed infrared electric heaters to spread the heat more evenly than one large one. You also might be able to use a normal 115v outlet that way.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
shhhhh don't spoil the surprise

1575756848442.png

Oh no!! I think the surprise is ruined @Tricia !! :(

:roflmao:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have had a 5th wheel trailer for a ski chalet for close to 30 years as well as several winter use RVs. It has been my experience that the electric infrared fan forced heaters seem to throw out the most heat. My current heater was about $130 Cdn.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started using this. Works great and used ones are all over the place cheap.

View attachment 86653
Lowe's had some SS ones at $95 for the holidays.

one thing to note, these are outdoor units so they won't likely have O2 or CO2 sensor, so if you opt this route I'd suggest buying a one.

Too, if finished ceiling then there's a good amount of heat off these.

are you wishing to heat the whole area or a dedicated stand area?

Too, if you heat a lot it may be worth insulating the area.

like the more dedicated directional heat. I have a wall gas unit built for garage areas and has a sensor.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Searching for something like @Coach13 talked about I found this, which is up for consideration.

This one is a little longer

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Or this one, where we could get two for the space

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
We have a three stall garage, of which one stall is used for a ski tuning shop, boot lab, and warehouse/shipping/receiving for the global headquarters for Pugski.com. The director of shipping/receiving and ski tuning/mounting (@Philpug) has been complaining that its cold.

The garage area is open (30 X 30) and we don't intend on closing it off due to space constraints, but we'd like to get a space heater to take the edge off the coldness.

Last year we borrowed a heater from @Andy Mink (he can share what that one was) but I'm looking to buy one for Phil for Christmas (shhhhh don't spoil the surprise) and I'm wondering if there is a better option.

Things I'm looking for in a heater
  • Electric or propane
  • Quiet
  • Some kind of air circulation
  • Safety

Phil was initially looking at this one but I ruled it out due to my past experience with such heaters - Loud, burns off too much oxygen.

I'm open to suggestions.
Is something as simple as this good enough to take the edge off when the garage is chilly?

I have garage envy.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Searching for something like @Coach13 talked about I found this, which is up for consideration.

This one is a little longer

Most portable electric space heaters, be they ceramic, infrared, or other usually have a fan and put out 1,500 watts (as well as have a 900watt and 600watt setting) and cost a fraction of what the above low heat output wall mounted heaters go for.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is the focus area we need to heat.
FDC099E7-D39B-4D98-86D4-E9DD3252C32A.jpeg
578E2A50-8251-4CF6-9C1A-7B440E425559.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like you need something that mounts on the ceiling.

To me it looks like a portable heater that can be moved to different parts of the room or a variable distance from the work station(s) is what is needed.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 86787 View attachment 86788

After seeing this I stand by my original take. There are several types/options but something wall or ceiling mounted is best imo. I found out that no matter where I positioned the normal space heaters (and I tried many) they were always in the way. Now-other than setting the temp up or down I don’t have to give it a second thought. Good luck with no matter what you choose!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ceilingmount is good idea not seeing availabily of wall unit w fan.

The electric Amazon electric heaters which give infrared heat if aimed at standing area can save money while providing warmth. Works for outdoor dining.

One item too is how much time is spent in the garage in frequency and or time.

I have a gas wall unit with o2 sensor that when I need, run for hours and the garage which is 30000btu but my garage is half yours @Tricia for comparison.

The heater can readily heat my garage well which has drywall but zero insulation.

The 1500w unit is roughly 5k btu. 2 units then are around 10kbtu.

So the question is comfort level. MY gut feel for you is if Phil is in proximity of the 1500w units .. he'll be comfy. Mine with 30k Btu output in a 450 square ft area, I can be in reg clothes so am guessing a warm hoodie might be sufficient w 10k but but if not ... insulate the attic.

But if you have space for a propane unit (with o2 detector) maybe mixed mode is a possibility.

Note, 1500W on a 120V line is 12.5A, so you will likely need 2 dedicated 15A min breakers for the set up.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are standing or sitting in one place for any period of time, these mats are great, in addition to having a space heater.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
View attachment 86787 View attachment 86788

Umm...I think you are not supposed to be on this thread, @Philpug :huh:

For what it is worth, I think two of those infrared heaters that @Tricia referenced would heat you to your heart's desire. Place one on the diagonal between the two lights to heat the corner work bench and one linearly hanging off your shelf above what appears to be your tuning bench and you will be toasty.

Sponsor

Staff online