• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks! Yes he had a pretty traumatic fall playing college basketball. There were multiple injuries but the back thing lingered and then got worse.
Might want to check out Stuart McGill and the book Back Mechanic. Since he's going to med school there's also a clinical book he did that's much more involved. There's a lot of interviews/ videos on his site and youtube. Takes a lot of the mystery out of the back.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Might want to check out Stuart McGill and the book Back Mechanic. Since he's going to med school there's also a clinical book he did that's much more involved. There's a lot of interviews/ videos on his site and youtube. Takes a lot of the mystery out of the back.

Does that mean you've got your back under control?

James

Out There
Instructor
Does that mean you've got your back under control?
It's much better. I resisted going to Killington since it would only be huge bumps, and likely I'd make a mistake and not absorb at the right time or hit something random. The random hit on Hayride at Stowe was the main event I think. His info is really good.

Interesting-we're taller in the morning because the discs fill up with fluid. Astronauts get taller in space. (Couple inches for 6' person) Doing those thigh to chest while lying down stretches are bad. Partic in morning because of the filled discs. It may feel better though for 15-20 min because the stretch reflex releases analgesics. (Don't ask me to explain, I'm just the parrot)

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IIRC he was a top level baller. Wishing you and him the best. Good that he's probably still in great physical condition otherwise. Make sure he doesn't over do it while rehabbing and listens to the docs.

You remember correctly, he played at a high D1 BB program, as did his brother and I but we were football guys. Despite their athletic skill we pushed them to be great students as well and it’s paid off for both of them. He’s passed on opportunities to play professionally overseas to start his medical education. He’s had several bad injuries. The back was just the last. He’s young and in great shape and is a good patient. I’m hopeful it’s behind him as he move forward to more important things (his words).

Sponsor

Staff online