• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
24yo son is in back surgery as I type this. He is having a 2 level discectomy. I’m assuming he won’t be skiing this year or at least not until very late season.

Any experience out there with the rehab of a similar issue?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Can't help, but best wishes for his quick & complete recovery.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
depends on the surgery, is this a microdiscectomy or an open procedure? "most" folks who have micro's have an excellent recovery/success rate. I had an extruded disc annulus repair and a laminectomy and went home the same day and was in far less pain than prior to surgery. I had the surgery in August (~20 years ago) and skied that december.

Hopefully, its a fast and full recovery.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
depends on the surgery, is this a microdiscectomy or an open procedure? "most" folks who have micro's have an excellent recovery/success rate. I had an extruded disc annulus repair and a laminectomy and went home the same day and was in far less pain than prior to surgery. I had the surgery in August (~20 years ago) and skied that december.
Hopefully, its a fast and full recovery.

Basically 2 microdiscectomies, 1 each on 2 different herniated discs. One 3” incision in the center of lower back. Procedure took about 90 minutes. He has some pretty significant localized muscle/lower back pain after surgery. Surgeon said other than walking, zero activity for 3 weeks then not much more for about 4-6 months.

BTW, thanks all for the well wishes. He should be fine but it’s going to take some time.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had a micro in October a few years back and skied in January. Took it very easy but was able to get on the snow. Hope things went well good luck to your son.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hope he heals quickly!

Thanks! He’s still pretty sore but a little better each day. He will start PT at 3 weeks post op and should be in pretty good shape at 6-8 weeks. He needs to get healed up so he can get back to being active and before he starts med school this upcoming year.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As an update, my son missed the entire ski season but was cleared a few weeks ago for full activity. He’s been working, playing golf and running as he did before the surgery. Timing is everything. He heads off to med school mid July so he’s healthy just in time.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Glad to hear it :thumb:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As an update, my son missed the entire ski season but was cleared a few weeks ago for full activity. He’s been working, playing golf and running as he did before the surgery. Timing is everything. He heads off to med school mid July so he’s healthy just in time.
Thanks for the update.
Sending good vibes!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Glad to hear he's ok. Good luck with the med school!
Was there a single event that caused the back injury?

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Glad to hear he's ok. Good luck with the med school!
Was there a single event that caused the back injury?

Thanks! Yes he had a pretty traumatic fall playing college basketball. There were multiple injuries but the back thing lingered and then got worse.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
IIRC he was a top level baller. Wishing you and him the best. Good that he's probably still in great physical condition otherwise. Make sure he doesn't over do it while rehabbing and listens to the docs.

Sponsor

Staff online