• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sock confusion

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think you may be on to something with the uniformity. Not sure I would want to put my compression socks (used for flying) on and off every ski day...they are more of a struggle than a stiff plug boot on a minus 0 day!
Do you roll them on and off (like silk stockings in old movies)? Although trying to pull them on certainly qualifies as an aerobic activity...

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Been using CEPs for the last 5 or 6 years; loved them at first and have increased that love as I've moved steadily towards a performance boot fit and beefier skis. That sudden demarcation/pinch-down high on my calf at the end of the day after sock removal is a bit shocking though. There's definitely an art to putting them on and removing them.
That's a good example of how/why the compression socks are working. If the lower leg/foot is not allowed to swell then the boot fit stays stable and proper blood flow is maintained.

If the pinch gets bad enough you may want to consider moving up to a full length hose.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Full Length Hose -> reminds me of Joe Namath :ogbiggrin:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey, if there was a total body compression garment I'd buy a bunch, no matter what the color.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Am no sock authority but, the below Darn Tough Darn Tough Hiker 1/4 Cushion Sock - Men's, for $19 have been the best socks I've ever had over decades as a backpacker carrying heavy packs into wilderness and skiing bumps winter. Amazing how they stand up for years. I just ordered 2 pairs more yesterday as I suspect my washing machine has slowly eaten 2 pairs.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hey, if there was a total body compression garment I'd buy a bunch, no matter what the color.

That's effectively what I ski in. Compression socks (Dissent, CEP, Zensah), CW-X compression 3/4 tights, and CW-X or Coovy compression tops. Best decision I ever made a few years ago (although the bottom half was mandated by health concerns).

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding compression socks - there are graduated compression socks (like the CEP or prescription ones), and there are tight socks. Tight socks are just tight all over, and totally fine if that's what you're looking for and find comfortable. If you truly want a compression sock to improve venous blood flow and decrease associated swelling, compression socks should be tighter at the ankle and gradually get less tight up the calf - usually needs to be at least a 10mmHg difference to be effective. The foot should be smooth (no extra fabric) but not actually tight. They work by creating a gradient of pressure that helps to prevent stasis of blood or lateral flow to superficial veins from the deep veins in the lower leg, which helps to decrease the hydrostatic pressure that pushes blood out of the veins and into the tissue of the feet and ankle.

The CEP socks count as medium compression with a 20-30mmHg gradient - I wear them for running and agree they're great. I can't find anything about the Lenz 6.0 having graduated compression, so I have to assume they are just tight socks (NTTAWWT). Light compression would be <20mmHg, and high compression >30mmHg - usually medical grade prescribed stockings. If you've got significant venous problems, then prescription socks (or tights would be even better) will keep your legs feeling better and less swollen. If you have trouble putting them on, there's tons of tools on the market to help make it easier (including kitchen/rubber gloves - don't laugh at me until you try it!). And the best time to wear them is all the time you're not lying down :) - before, during, and even after skiing (depending on how you do après ski, I guess).

People with arterial blood flow problems shouldn't use graduated compression socks or tight socks without checking with their PCP/vascular surgeon first, since they can cause skin breakdown or blood flow problems in that circumstance. I'd include anyone who has ever had significant cold injury/frostbite to their feet in that group.

Sorry for the TED talk

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's effectively what I ski in. Compression socks (Dissent, CEP, Zensah), CW-X compression 3/4 tights, and CW-X or Coovy compression tops. Best decision I ever made a few years ago (although the bottom half was mandated by health concerns).
Absolutely me too.
What I want to see is a total body glove/sock that goes on loose, and then tightens in a programable fashion to custom fit our (ahem) various body quirks.
Got my first pair of Dissent compression socks - don't seem to really stand up in comparison to German technology (CEP).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Absolutely me too.
What I want to see is a total body glove/sock that goes on loose, and then tightens in a programable fashion to custom fit our (ahem) various body quirks.
Got my first pair of Dissent compression socks - don't seem to really stand up in comparison to German technology (CEP).

I agree on the socks. The Dissent are good, not great. My challenge with the CEP is that the right size and fit for the compression ends up being a bit too long and encroaches into my knee joints (I don't like the feel of having the sock that high). The Zensah socks are actually the best fit and the best bang for the buck. It's unfortunate that Pure's merino compression thin ski socks are no longer made because I really liked those too.

Also a bummer that CW-X no longer makes their Insulator series of compression wear. Luckily I stocked up on CW-X stuff while it was still available, but eventually I'm going to have to find a replacement.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hear ya on CW-X discontinuing the insulators; substituted women's medium regulars (men's small equivalent?) for the compression and ..... colors! Marmot 3/4 length insulated bottom for the lost insulation when needed.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you roll them on and off (like silk stockings in old movies)? Although trying to pull them on certainly qualifies as an aerobic activity...
Either way they are a Major struggle. I think I bought a size or two too small. But they really do tne job they were intended for...

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Either way they are a Major struggle. I think I bought a size or two too small. But they really do tne job they were intended for...

for compression socks like Dissent... you need to stuff your hand and arm down inside the sock first, then pull the sock down your arm so just the forefoot is left on your hand with the rest doubled over. Remove from hand and put foot in so that the heel of sock is placed ok, then you can pull the rest of the sock up.
It's still a faff but worth it.
A video is best as my description probably sounds odd...
this clip shows a skier putting on his Dissent socks at time 00:48 (you can also search Youtube for 'putting on compression socks')

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">Stan Rey - All Day</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/dissentlabs">DissentLabs</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

or

Youtube - putting on compression sock

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree on the socks. The Dissent are good, not great. My challenge with the CEP is that the right size and fit for the compression ends up being a bit too long and encroaches into my knee joints (I don't like the feel of having the sock that high). The Zensah socks are actually the best fit and the best bang for the buck. It's unfortunate that Pure's merino compression thin ski socks are no longer made because I really liked those too.

Also a bummer that CW-X no longer makes their Insulator series of compression wear. Luckily I stocked up on CW-X stuff while it was still available, but eventually I'm going to have to find a replacement.
Did not know about the insulators being DCd.

As for socks, I have a couple pairs of the CEPs for cycling but it never occurred to me to wear them skiing!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As for socks, I have a couple pairs of the CEPs for cycling but it never occurred to me to wear them skiing!

Hah. Back in @nolo's day CEP did a massive free-samples-for-reviews trade, before they even had a 'cycling' sock.

The ironmany is that @Erik Timmerman and I had a parallel triathlon* thread on on-bike compression socks being the sign of the terminal mid-packer.

*the UCI have successful fashion police :)

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Did not know about the insulators being DCd.

Phil clued me into the "secret" for the CEP socks while riding a lift in Aspen. For us more "vertically challenged" guys, you need to buy the women's version of the socks. They're shorter so they don't go up in back of your knees.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Lol or start skating. There is no compression sock on the planet that can climb my calfberg far enough to reach the knee tendon :)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
For us more "vertically challenged" guys, you need to buy the women's version of the socks. They're shorter so they don't go up in back of your knees.

You didn’t have to out your fellow short brethren for wearing Women's socks.

Sponsor

Staff online