• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sock confusion

Dolomitiskier

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m not sure if they sell them in the US but I’m obsessed with the Mico x race ski socks. They are crazy thin, have no friction issues and have some crazy metal thread in the weave that makes them warm.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
In a ski boot there ain’t nowhere to wick to. I would suggest adding more leg layers above the ski boot. If the blood is cool going in it’s not going to help much. Or boot warmers?
Pretty much this first.

One of the ways you body deals with cold is to reduce blood flow to extremities, thereby preserving the really important stuff. So, even if the rest of your body does not "feel cold" your body may only be affording you this sensation via the aforementioned process.

So, before doing anything else apply more insulation to the legs, neck and torso. When you find your torso overheating and your feet are still cold then you should consider addressing your feet. Conversely if your feet stay warm but your torso is overheating then you need to figure out ways to vent and regulate your core. This is why pit zips exist.

Also, from another practical angle, a thicker sock is really not adding a whole lot of insulation relative to the boot liner, and any added compression of that sock will tend to minimize it's benefit.

Edit: Also, my thought on sock "wicking" is that what you really want is a sock that is relatively thin and hydrophobic, ie. wont absorb moisture. That way foot sweat has two choices, stay on the foot or go into the boot liner. Practically speaking unless your feet get super cold thermodynamics will drive most of that moisture into the liner.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I’m not sure if they sell them in the US but I’m obsessed with the Mico x race ski socks. They are crazy thin, have no friction issues and have some crazy metal thread in the weave that makes them warm.

Dryarn - the branded polypropylene yarn that Mico use - has been hit or miss for me.

When it's really thin it's good and when it's done as a mesh weave it's good. Mico socks are definitely thin. The goodness is so good that I went all-in on Dryarn for my own gear back in 2019-2020. Thin, warm and dry; cheaper than the equivalently breathable SIXS/SIX2 (whose party trick is carbon in the yarn).

BUT #1 - when it's soaked through it stays soaked through and gets cold.
BUT #2 - it rips more easily when wet.
BUT #3 - thicker weaves chafe when soaked through.

In the 47 bike and ski days of 2022 thus far I've ripped ~10 Dryarn bike or ski baselayer garments from various labels.

Next year, my winter baselayer budget is going back to SIX2. Or whatever else I find that's similarly thin, warm, dry-feeling.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another recommendation:

IMHO, the key to obtaining the optimal performance from your ski boot is a firm fit, so I ski the thinnest, smoothest unwrinkled sock I can possibly find. For me, the way to beat cold is to eliminate pressure points that cut circulation, not try to "insulate" using a thicker sock. (Note that is also a characteristic of a good performance fit.)

I have been using these liners as my only ski sock for several years with no complaints about either cold or comfort.

Wick Dry Therm-A-Wick Ultra-Lightweight Over-the-Calf Liner Sock - Fox River® Socks (foxsox.com)

Extra tip: If you do use an ultra-thin sock, take your own socks whenever you get fitted.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been using a CEP Compression sock of late and I am suprised how well they work and in reading this thread, how much warmer my feet actually were using a compression sock. I really think the compression aspect of the sock being so uniform over my foot and leg has made a difference. I have been in various socks over the years and these really are a step above.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been using a CEP Compression sock of late and I am suprised how well they work and in reading this thread, how much warmer my feet actually were using a compression sock. I really think the compression aspect of the sock being so uniform over my foot and leg has made a difference. I have been in various socks over the years and these really are a step above.

I think you may be on to something with the uniformity. Not sure I would want to put my compression socks (used for flying) on and off every ski day...they are more of a struggle than a stiff plug boot on a minus 0 day!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think you may be on to something with the uniformity. Not sure I would want to put my compression socks (used for flying) on and off every ski day...they are more of a struggle than a stiff plug boot on a minus 0 day!

:thumb: :thumb:on using them for flying.

I still think they are possibly a great tool for managing high altitude foot swelling / boot fit issues.

Does anyone in this thread use compression socks (or the passive leg sleeves) for recovery (i.e. after the effort)?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:thumb: :thumb:on using them for flying.

I still think they are possibly a great tool for managing high altitude foot swelling / boot fit issues.

Does anyone in this thread use compression socks (or the passive leg sleeves) for recovery (i.e. after the effort)?
No, you’d then have to recover from the recovery.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been using CEPs for the last 5 or 6 years; loved them at first and have increased that love as I've moved steadily towards a performance boot fit and beefier skis. That sudden demarcation/pinch-down high on my calf at the end of the day after sock removal is a bit shocking though. There's definitely an art to putting them on and removing them.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier

@Philpug and @Paul Lutes can you compare the thickness of this sock to say a Smartwool PhD Ultra Light ski sock? thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and @Paul Lutes can you compare the thickness of this sock to say a Smartwool PhD Ultra Light ski sock? thanks!
I don't have the Smartwool to compare against but they are as think of a sock you will get without being a nylon or at least something that you can see through.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Micrometer sez:

Unstretched CEP (non-merino) cuff: 1.22 mm
Unstretched Smartwool PhD UltraLight cuff: 0.88mm
Unstretched Wigwam Ultimax Ultralite: 0.91mm
Unstretched Long-cuff AntiDrag bicycle sock (silicone gripper area): 0.55mm
Unstretched SIX2 (comparable to Mico referenced above): 0.70 mm

Method note: All socks except where noted were measured at the shin zone just below the edge finish/gripper area. Thickness here should be approximately equal to thickness around the wide dimension of the calf. All socks were measured to the lowest number over 4 thicknesses - 2 washed, dryer-fluffed socks side by side, then divided by 4. Thinnest numbers posted.

Now, obviously all stretched socks are thinner than unstretched socks. Obviously, I didn't measure thickness at ankle or reinforced zones - because that's simply a folding pain.

Ultimately and most importantly, the at-rest thickness of a strong compression sock (CEP and SIX2 above) is misleading with regards to boot fit - because the leg will be smaller overall because of the fluid being compressed out of it.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Micrometer sez:

Unstretched CEP (non-merino) cuff: 1.22 mm
Unstretched Smartwool PhD UltraLight cuff: 0.88mm
Unstretched Wigwam Ultimax Ultralite: 0.91mm
Unstretched Long-cuff AntiDrag bicycle sock (silicone gripper area): 0.55mm
Unstretched SIX2 (comparable to Mico referenced above): 0.70 mm

Method note: All socks except where noted were measured at the shin zone just below the edge finish/gripper area. Thickness here should be approximately equal to thickness around the wide dimension of the calf. All socks were measured to the lowest number over 4 thicknesses - 2 washed, dryer-fluffed socks side by side, then divided by 4. Thinnest numbers posted.

Now, obviously all stretched socks are thinner than unstretched socks. Obviously, I didn't measure thickness at ankle or reinforced zones - because that's simply a folding pain.

Ultimately and most importantly, the at-rest thickness of a strong compression sock (CEP and SIX2 above) is misleading with regards to boot fit - because the leg will be smaller overall because of the fluid being compressed out of it.
Dude, you have a problem. And at the same time, I am very impressed.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If that's a problem I don't want to solve it.

Not sure if comparing compression socks to non-compression socks reveals the truth.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dude, you have a problem.

The Thorlos and the Bridgedales were out for skiing, sorry. :P

Not sure if comparing compression socks to non-compression socks reveals the truth.

Completely agree, and I made that point above. The amount of fluid actually squeezed out of the limb by the compression changes the playing field. Also, compression socks designed for thicker limbs *cough* will be thicker at rest than ones designed for less stretch.

Sidebar: I will also put something else here that I'm completely convinced of - lace up liners do better in their intended role with fuzzy/rough exterior sock finish, independent of thickness. Whereas ooze-fit liners like Intuition wraps are money with the slippery exterior ones.

Last edited:

Sponsor