• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Social Distancing and Cycling

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I ride around on the grass...

The particular trail @Rudi Riet mentioned - the W&OD and it's Custis/Mount Vernon/4 Mile Run extensions - have so many choke points (like under bridges and overpasses), construction zones and super-pedestrian next-to-playground areas that that isn't an option.

The other big problem is crossing one of the Potomac bridges - there is only one actual roadway that doesn't turn into highway on the Virginia side so you're always in a 4feet-or-less passing space.

Fortunately, I'm too sick to ride...:ogcool:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That doesn't work either - you're putting the stopped cyclist inside critical distance from the person she had intended to pass. And you're making everyone sit there longer which prolongs exposure.
No, the cyclist stopped far enough behind the walker (the walker kept moving). Part of the problem was that the walker was unaware that a cyclist was trying to get around him (walker also had a dog, which made him more erratic). I went by, then the cyclist was able to go around the walker without getting to close to either of us. I realized after I posted that this is a cycling thread.

The trail I was on is mostly used by runners and dog-walkers, but I've seen an increased number of people riding bikes there. I saw the walker coming towards me, and eventually the cyclist; but the walker seemed unaware of the cyclist behind him. The cyclist could have said "excuse me" to the walker, which may have made him stop and move to the side, but she didn't appear to do that. It may be that she didn't see me at first, but then she seemed to think that because she was moving fastest, she should have the right-of-way. I still think she should have stopped without my saying anything. She needed to move to my side of the trail to pass, so she needed to wait until it was "safe." It's just like when a car needs to pass a cyclist on the road, they need to wait until traffic is clear on the other side. The new "rules of the trail." Actually not new, pedestrians have the right of way over cyclists on trails. And I also ride, so I'm not picking on cyclists, but I am trying to "educate" some of these new riders.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are the exact kinds of things I am trying to avoid by staying off the trails on my bikes. I had a couple of weird situations on Saturday where I had to pass an oncoming runner or walker (on a road with no sidewalks and only a small bike lane/shoulder and deal with traffic. At one point I passed one and then immediately after another cyclist passed me who I'd had no idea was there. He must have been in my blindspot as I looked for vehicular traffic or came up on me very fast (entirely possible, I'm slow and this is Boulder county). Another time a runner couldn't get off the road at all due to a guard rail which was fine because there was no vehicular traffic. I went into the drive lane to the yellow line. She apologized for not getting over at all. I tried to assure her that there was no issue.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
That doesn't work either - you're putting the stopped cyclist inside critical distance from the person she had intended to pass. And you're making everyone sit there longer which prolongs exposure.

Yeah.. . No.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
She would have fallen into the ditch on her right, I'm pretty sure. I could have run further off trail to my right, but would have risked a twisted ankle.
We're somewhat fortunate..most of our trails have some space to avoid contact..but I get it. That's basically why I decided to simply not take trails. I just devise a mostly residential road ride and avoid the few cars on the road these days. I guess the other thing is I'm dragging my 5 year old around on a trail-a-bike so a 25k ride is actually quite a workout!! :ogbiggrin:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're somewhat fortunate..most of our trails have some space to avoid contact..but I get it. That's basically why I decided to simply not take trails. I just devise a mostly residential road ride and avoid the few cars on the road these days. I guess the other thing is I'm dragging my 5 year old around on a trail-a-bike so a 25k ride is actually quite a workout!! :ogbiggrin:
It is a little strange that so many people are now riding bikes on this trail. It's unpaved, and I think that keeps bikes off of it, usually. I think these might be people who don't ride on the road, yet are avoiding the greenbelt paved paths because of the crowds, Or they are people who like to ride on dirt but are prevented from driving to real trails by the shelter in place orders.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Been there, done that, and enjoyed every minute. In the blink of an eye your 5 yo will be grown up and impatiently waiting for dad to catch up.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here in San Diego, all the trails have been closed by action of the county, so social distancing there would be super easy :P I've considered ignoring the action but then I remembered a few things: An increase in wildlife activity due to lack of human activity has increased likelihood of having a run in with a mountain lion, coyote or a rattler mixed with not having a sole around to provide any assistance if needed. Also riding totally alone on the trails without anyone to help may not be a great idea. The gravel wheelset will just have to collect regular dust for now.

As far as the road, I give a wide berth to everyone including joggers and walkers that use the bike lanes (even when there is a sidewalk :huh:), today I rode up to a gaggle of dog walkers that were taking up all of the path I was on, fortunately there was a side path in the dirt that I could take and that was the off road sector of the ride :P

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
I’m very lucky. I live within a national park and they’ve closed lots of the popular roads to cars and started restricting accesss to the town to limit out of town visitors. So the roads are now swept and closed to cars. Rode over 100km today on virtually empty road in the middle of one the prettiest places in the world, it was glorious. I just hope the nearby metro visitors stay away and don’t ruin the only bike routes for residents. They have plenty of roads to ride around the city and we only have a few... so hoping visitors stay away.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m very lucky. I live within a national park and they’ve closed lots of the popular roads to cars and started restricting accesss to the town to limit out of town visitors. So the roads are now swept and closed to cars. Rode over 100km today on virtually empty road in the middle of one the prettiest places in the world, it was glorious. I just hope the nearby metro visitors stay away and don’t ruin the only bike routes for residents. They have plenty of roads to ride around the city and we only have a few... so hoping visitors stay away.

First, it's nice to see you here a bit more. But, more importantly, how did I miss that you live IN a national park? I've seen your pics on IG and they are incredible. I really hope to come up and visit some day when I can do more than have dinner. Although, I still dream of that dinner in Calgary, it was so good!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Been out twice so far, still a lot of trail covered with snow. What isn't covered is wicked crowded, and I don't like crowds even without them having elevated cootie levels. Been mostly running, which is one of my least favorite physical activities, but cardio is cardio...

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fourth or fifth road ride for the season was this morning. What's unusual for me is it's my first 4+ hr/45+ mile 3000ft gain ride. Ouch. This is a little outside my league of 30 milers, 2000ft climbs. Last ten miles on flats felt painful. I've got much to learn to make this a habit.

Here's respect for all of you who ride 40+ (multiple times) weekly. :hail:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've started to believe seriously something my neighbour used to say as a joke - you only remember the first hour and the last hour.

In other news, my lungs are ready again for 20 - but my body is too wiped after yesterday to ride or skate today :ogcool:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a road ride yesterday. I had a bandana around my neck, ready to pull up over nose and mouth if necessary (required right now by county order). There were many people out riding, most of them without available face coverings, and some of them in tight pace lines. The order for face covers from our county was unclear on the outdoor recreation part.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Out here in Massachusetts, we are riding with buffs, facemasks, lightweight gators that we can pull up when we are near other cyclists. My longest ride to date is 63 miles and we have rolling terrain around here. Between Zwift and my outdoor rides, I am still getting in the training for events that have already been cancelled into August. Hoping that my fall events are cancelled.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

This is what frustrates me about the whole thing. I was riding along in a neighborhood bike lane at my usual snail's pace, on my mountain bike, when roadie passed me. I had a buff around my neck that I pull up when nearing anyone, but he didn't say anything, just passed me very close by and turned to yell "Good Morning!" at me, no doubt spraying particles all over me. He was gone before I had a moment to recover and say, "Hey, don't do that!" I thought about posting something pissy on NextDoor, but came to my senses. Nothing good ever comes of NextDoor.

Then again, I didn't bring hand sanitizer, hit a pedestrian crosswalk button, and didn't think until much later about the exposure, and that's likely a lot more exposure. And goes to show that we all make mistakes and are often just acting automatically according to ingrained habits.

Then again again, there's not much evidence that anything short of an N-95 actually *does* anything, so really I just wish people would go wide. This is the thing about social distancing - people don't do it perfectly. The only truly effective way to do it is to stay on your own property.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Then again again, there's not much evidence that anything short of an N-95 actually *does* anything, so really I just wish people would go wide.

Even an N95 barely does anything - the holes in it are 3x bigger than the virus - but there is maybe some value to slowing down exhaled air through coarser mesh? No one really knows and mask theater is more publicly acceptable than critically-thought-out economics.

I gave up on using crosswalk buttons; I'm in the car lane and either sit in front of the camera or put the chain across the embedded antenna loops. Still using painted bike lanes along 45mph+ roads but totally gave up on MUPs - except for bridge crossings where they're the only game in town.

MTB trails are peanut butter atm.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
MTB trails are peanut butter atm.

I've seen the pictures of the trailhead parking lots. I am way too people-averse right now to consider braving that.

Sponsor