• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Social Distancing and Cycling

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Hmm, never been in there...note to self...

Was thinking that ginormous network of ...stuff...all around Tweed.
Done some camping out Tweed way years ago..mostly remember black flies.. :) That's all Conservation Authority land out there. They would have no problem I suspect with you cycling. I would think it might be more suited to MTB's..however..if you're adventurous. You may have to buy a day pass for $5 or something...well worth it. Beautiful country up there. Remember, black flies..May/June...

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking for how things are here in the greater DC area (and @cantunamunch can also speak to this):

Almost all of the usual group rides have stopped. This is partly due to an abundance of caution, partly because there are quite a few (mostly in the local road racing scene) who are like trained racing dogs and know one way to ride: in a paceline, often double rotating and in close proximity (because "rubbing is racing," as they say). One of the most popular of these "regular" rides takes place every weekday at noon, the venue being Hains Point at East Potomac Park, which is one of the places where the Japanese cherry trees bloom. Right now, these roads are closed to all wheeled transportation other than wheelchairs, as shown in @cantunamunch's photo above.

Once the restriction on this is lifted after March 29, let's hope the ride continues to be a non-event.

Otherwise, most road cyclists have been fairly good about keeping a good distance. Those that aren't get called out really quickly. I had to yell at a couple of "cat 6" folk to get off my tail the other day. And the local teams and clubs have ceased all organized training rides and group rides across the board. The liability of being the official hosting party is too large, the social responsibility too great. Given how much cyclists spit, shoot snot rockets, and the like, it just makes sense.

And I've had to put a weekly group ride I lead on ice until physical distancing is no longer the norm. The ride I lead and coordinate, the Downtown Breakaway, attracts an average of 80-90 riders each week. And these riders tend to ride in close quarters due in part to the nature of the route (lots of turns and regrouping points), partly because there are parts where riding in a rotating paceline is the best way to get back into town. And getting folks to break ingrained habits, especially in a group situation, is exceedingly difficult.

And then there are the MUPs: they are really crowded. Most people go there out of a perception of safety: they're not on the roads, not on the sidewalks, and these paths are made for recreation and moving from place to place by folks on foot, on bike, on scooter, or (in the case of some) on horseback. Now that people are working from home they are inundating these MUPs, exceeding their designs.

As a confident cyclist, I'm happy to ride on every street in the normal times, and now it's even easier to do with decreased traffic volume. Of course, the lower traffic volume makes some drivers think they have speedways, and that introduces another variable. A possible solution: having the local DOT reclaim a lane or two on many roads (mostly major ones) for pedestrian and micro-mobility (bikes, scooters, skateboards) use.

This serves three purposes: giving folks personal space for moving around; promoting walking and low-pollution means to get around; and narrowing the thoroughfare for motor vehicles, which tends to slow their speeds. As the speed limit on most DC streets never exceeds 25-30 mph - and most folks are exceeding this by non trivial amounts - it behooves the DOT, police, fire, EMS, and medical professionals to do this. To my eyes, it's an elegant solution to multiple issues.

</threaddrift>

Whew... where was I?

I'm riding most days, 20-30 miles, sticking close to home. I'm hammering up the climbs, rolling steadily on the flats, and taking it easier on the descents than usual because a crash may land me in the emergency room - which is not where I want to be right now.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, never been in there...note to self...

Was thinking that ginormous network of ...stuff...all around Tweed.
Are you thinking of the network of snowmobile trails? Lots of ATVers use them in the summer. They spread out over all of Ontario and Quebec. I have ridden them in Musoka, but find they sometimes end abruptly at a lake or swamp that would normally be frozen in winter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Local trails still way too wet - snow and ice patches remain even from this pathetic winter. And I am kind of a weenie about road rides in cool weather. I have no good excuse; I just am. So no. Taking the occasional long walk and otherwise turning into a potato. Fortunately I live in a near-rural area and once it warms up a bit I have good access to rideable pavement.

Also, seriously, this is just rude under any circumstances (which hopefully means this statement is entirely unnecessary).

If you need to blow your nose (or spit, or whatever) and you're on a trail with other people, just stop and find a good spot off to the side.

You obviously don't produce the quantity of snot that I do when exercising.

But yeah, of course, with other people around I agree.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We did have one road biker pass us so closely I could have reached out and touched him - I was not pleased with that,

Which points up the varieties of cycling cultures, when you read @Rudi Riet's post.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
... and taking it easier on the descents than usual because a crash may land me in the emergency room - which is not where I want to be right now.
Good point - we live at the top of a hill and as we got to the top a real biker (lol) was coming down so fast that even my daughter reacted with a “whoa that guy is flying”. All I could think of was the dirt and gravel still on the roads and how bad it could be if he crashed and needed emergency services right now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In my little town, the trails remain open and in good shape for March, and no parking is allowed at the trail heads, to stem flow out here from the Big City. I'll ride the moto and ATV trails today, and should have them to myself. It also helps that most of our trails are one way (formally or informally).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One thing @Rudi Riet didn't mention is the water refill situation. You don't want to be anywhere near those fountains without antiseptic wipes - and that's with nobody else using them. Funny thing is, people use thirst as an excuse to stand <2feet behind you, barging past all distancing limits. It is not as bad as it could be because pedestrians aren't using them - but BYO water everyone and don't go further than what you brought with you allows.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

GXRGMMJ4JBEXLIIUHJHM6WISHI.jpg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yep! I have a super heavy commuter hybrid that is quickly becoming one of my prized possessions through this, especially after the stay at home order.

I’m pretty lucky that bike paths near me aren’t busy, since I live in a neighborhood in transition and cuts through more industrial areas to get to connect with other trails. I’ve been hitting the more popular/scenic trails on colder and greyer days, which seems to be working out.

View attachment 97995
How's the traffic on the drawbridge with the upper bridge closed?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
One thing @Rudi Riet didn't mention is the water refill situation. You don't want to be anywhere near those fountains without antiseptic wipes - and that's with nobody else using them. Funny thing is, people use thirst as an excuse to stand <2feet behind you, barging past all distancing limits. It is not as bad as it could be because pedestrians aren't using them - but BYO water everyone and don't go further than what you brought with you allows.

I'm sure most if not all seasoned cyclists have no need to stop to refill bottles, especially if rides are 40miles or less.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How's the traffic on the drawbridge with the upper bridge closed?

Not sure, been too socially distant. My boyfriend drove the 1st ave detour (low bridge is supposed to be for first responders & transit) to pick up some new work supplies now that they’re getting reassigned to some Seattle flu study work, and he said it was totally dead on the roads. We have a running beer bet on whether COVID19 will be under control enough to go back to work before or after the bridge is done. My bet is that the bridge takes longer.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Did a couple rides on nearby hike-n-bike trails two weeks ago, but realized on the second ride that the trails were becoming too crowded with everyone out of school and work. Not best for social distancing.
So, last week and Sunday i drove out about 18-20 miles and rode in the country. Social distancing was no problem and scenery was better. This will be my pattern for the near future. I only occasionally saw other riders. Some of them were solo, others were in pacelines. Obviously, those in lines aren't willing to change until the virus takes them down.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Exactly the problem. Some of us would like to ride quite a bit more than that.

Maybe adjust the route to pass by home, no? Odd times require adjusting habits. Odd for me to be riding this early... skiing is full on until the dead end of April. Hoping Timberline opens this May.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lots of squeaky-haven't-been-riden-in-three-years bikes out there. The biggest challenge has been on the easy MTB trails, which are getting full of people that have no trail etiquette whatsoever. So be careful out there and don't expect others to yield at you when you are going uphill. If you see someone coming fast downhill, not wearing helmet or shirtless, don't assume they are going to stop, move away or prepare for an evasive maneuver.

Sponsor