• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smal backpack suggestions?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m having a hard time looking for a backpack. Many online retailers don’t offer a skipack search option.

Do any of you have tips?

I am looking for:

• Around 25-30l volume
  • Long torso (usually this means avaible in different sizes)
  • ‘Flat’ shape, ie volume from height and width, not depth
  • Separate safety gear compartment
  • Zipper access
  • Goggle compartment
  • Waisbelt pocket(s)
  • Side water bottle pocket
  • Light as possible weight

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Not many ski packs that I'm aware of with side water bottle pockets. They tend to get in the way of A-framing skis.

Some features on the list are a bit counter each other, so knowing where you'd trade off would be helpful. Most lightweight oriented packs don't offer luxuries like google compartments.

I'm pretty happy with my Patagonia Descesionist. It is a bit bigger than you list (40L), but it can be easily compacted with side compressions plus the main strap into a much smaller bag with a flat shape (volume from height and width.). Avy tool pocket, side zipper access, 1 waistbelt pocket and 1040g on the bathroom scale for a size L.

VinceF

Booting up
Skier
Most small packs don't check all of the boxes on your list. I have a 45L pack from REI that checks all boxes except for size. On the smaller size I like the Black Diamond Agent. Seems perfect for most backcounty trips that I do and works better in the resort than my larger pack. I would recommend going to your favorite shop and trying on several packs. The way it feels on your back is more important than some of the smaller features.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dakine makes bunch. I like to meet a pack in person before buying.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it depends what you’re prioritizing on your list and what you’re using it for.

I’ve been through a few packs looking for something that worked for the occasional times I’m carrying a pack riding lifts, and also for side country.

As long as I could find something that was thin, worked with a hydration pouch, carried well and fit the stuff I needed, I would be happy.

I wound up with a Patagonia Snow Drfiter 20L

http://www.patagonia.com/product/snowdrifter-pack-20-liters/48190.html

Really solidly built pack, good ski carry, and compresses well so it isn’t an issue riding lifts.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m having a hard time looking for a backpack. Many online retailers don’t offer a skipack search option.

Do any of you have tips?

I am looking for:

• Around 25-30l volume
  • Long torso (usually this means avaible in different sizes)
  • ‘Flat’ shape, ie volume from height and width, not depth
  • Separate safety gear compartment
  • Zipper access
  • Goggle compartment
  • Waisbelt pocket(s)
  • Side water bottle pocket
  • Light as possible weight

One important thing, are you looking for in-bounds or hike to? If looking at hike to...as mentioned above, you probably won't find a side water bottle pocket due to aframing skis. If you're looking for in-bounds, make sure there's not many straps that can dangle and get hooked on a lift (simple and sleek is better).

As for recommendations, For hiking I've used an Osprey Kode 30L pack for 6 or 7 years now...cannot recommend enough, it's a fantastic pack. Incredibly durable, checks all of your boxes except for the water bottle pocket, but it does have a reservoir zippered sleeve along with an insulated hose sleeve.. I believe it only came in a 30L when I bought it, but they expanded the line to a 22, 32, and 42, I believe. As for the "zipper access" it has back panel access to the "dry compartment", this allows you to keep the straps and back panel out of the snow while accessing the pack.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think the main question is do you want to prepare for backcountry or not, meaning designed shovel compartment, and designed ski carry.
If you don't need these features, then a regular hiking pack may also fit the bill. I see tons of people on the lifts with just hiking daypacks.

The majority of ski packs will use a hydration bladder because it is too cold for an external water bottle, which will freeze over. A bottle can fall out during crashes or even just leaning over, and will not be centerly weighted on your back. Even a hydration tube that isn't covered within the shoulder strap with also freeze over if you don't have tube insulation. If you're not into the hydration tubes, at best you can stash a small plastic flask-type bottle, like an REI 8oz in the hip pouches.

Regarding the weight, this is a non-issue. There will also be a tradeoff for you as you want more robust pack, with heavy zippers that won't ice up, fabric that won't be shredded by branches and whatnot, as well as all the various straps for carry that also tuck away. Ultimately though, I would say you shouldn't need to worry about the weight because it can be entirely cancelled out by how much water you decide to carry. You ski ability should have progressed to have proper upper body separation where your torso isn't really pivoting away side to side anyway, so an extra pound doesn't matter.

For this season, I just got an osprey kamber 20/22 which I believe is the redesign of the kode that elemmac mentioned, and am very happy with it. My friend got a dakine helipro on sale, and feels it is pretty cheap and lightly constructed compared to the osprey.
The Osprey pretty much has all straps that can tuck away.

Note, I also got a osprey talon 20/22 for hiking, it is much lighter than the ski pack, but when skiing it's negligible. I've seen many osprey talon20/22s on the ski slopes as well.

Osprey has a s/m and m/l for different torso lengths. The kamber pack doesn't have adjustable shoulderstrap positioning; but my talon hiking packs does have ability to adjust the back pad to adjust where it sits on your back.

There are tons of other packs for you to look for example on backcountry.com or evo.com. And for just about all of them, there are youtube videos/reviews that will go through and show you the ski features.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also, as a given, stuff goes on sale.

Osprey packs were like 25% off MSRP from black friday all the way through new years or so at pretty much all retailers which seems like it's a manufacturer's promo. Unfortunately, they look like they are all back to full MSRP now. If you can wait, you should wait until they go discounted again.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with the others that you're going to have a hard time finding all of those items in a small pack. However, check out the brand Ortovox, they have lots of options but I'm not sure any of them offer a side water bottle pocket.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For some reason I can’t edit my post. So just to clarify here:

With point number 4 “Safety Equipement Compartment” I meant avalanche rescue equipment compartment, ie Shovel, probe.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with the others that you're going to have a hard time finding all of those items in a small pack. However, check out the brand Ortovox, they have lots of options but I'm not sure any of them offer a side water bottle pocket.

Yep, I know it’s a hard list, that’s why I ask. If it was easy I would have figured it out myself a long time ago. ogsmile

We have about 18 backpacks (quick guess) in our house. So I am looking for one that comes pretty close on my wish list, otherwise it won't be worthwhile.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the main question is do you want to prepare for backcountry or not, meaning designed shovel compartment, and designed ski carry.
If you don't need these features, then a regular hiking pack may also fit the bill. I see tons of people on the lifts with just hiking daypacks.

Osprey has a s/m and m/l for different torso lengths. The kamber pack doesn't have adjustable shoulderstrap positioning; but my talon hiking packs does have ability to adjust the back pad to adjust where it sits on your back.
Yes, I like the fact that Osprey has sizes.

Yes, I am looking for a pack for:

• Skiing
  • Lift served
  • Bootpacking
  • Ski Touring (skinning)

So yes, as mentioned in point 4, I do want a dedicated shovel/probe pocket (as well as using that compartment for other wet gear). Sorry for not using a more clear term!

I also want ski carry, but just about every pack has that, and otherwise it's easy enough to add.

I agree about the clean lines, although I still wouldn't wear it on the lift most of the time.
On the lift I usually flip the pack around to the front. My wife came up with that and it works great. You leave the waistbelt on, pull your arms out and spin it around. It prevents snagging but you still have your hands free for poles and loading. It also keeps wind off your chest and allows you to dig in the pack while riding the lift.

The majority of ski packs will use a hydration bladder because it is too cold for an external water bottle, which will freeze over. A bottle can fall out during crashes or even just leaning over, and will not be centerly weighted on your back. Even a hydration tube that isn't covered within the shoulder strap with also freeze over if you don't have tube insulation. If you're not into the hydration tubes, at best you can stash a small plastic flask-type bottle, like an REI 8oz in the hip pouches.

I live in Northern Minnesota, and hike, ski, dog-sled, ice-climb and overnight all winter long, so I like to think I'm fairly aware of water-in-cold-weather issues.
This is actually one of the reasons I want side pocket water bottle storage. Regular bottles are far more reliable in any case, but especially in cold weather. Once it get's really cold, and you are out for a longer time, it becomes impossible to guarantee a bladder and hose system won't freeze. I prefer not to deal with the hassle. I will still use a bladder on milder days and shorter outings, but otherwise, insulated bottles are where it's at.

If the side pocket is tall enough, a bottle won't fall out very easy. For the ski down, you can always stash it inside the pack, normally I wouldn't drink while skiing down. Drink on the skin track or lift.

Regarding the weight, this is a non-issue. There will also be a tradeoff for you as you want more robust pack, with heavy zippers that won't ice up, fabric that won't be shredded by branches and whatnot, as well as all the various straps for carry that also tuck away.

How is weight a non-issue? It adds more effort on the climb and messes with your posture and balance on the way down. If you don't care, that's fine, but I prefer to haul less weight uphill. I don't think I am the only one as evidenced by all the lightweight ski and backpacking gear coming out these days.

I do know that it's a tradeoff with robustness. Notice I didn't ask for that? We have lightweight Wingnut packs and my wife uses hers all the time, including while skiing and mountain biking, and it's still going strong after 6 years. So, it is possible to make a lightweight pack that's durable enough.

Yes, I know that tuck away straps add weight, that's what I don't like about them.
Ultimately though, I would say you shouldn't need to worry about the weight because it can be entirely cancelled out by how much water you decide to carry.
Umm, Water weight doesn't cancel out pack weight, it just adds even more weight.

You ski ability should have progressed to have proper upper body separation where your torso isn't really pivoting away side to side anyway, so an extra pound doesn't matter.

Are you really saying that I should pass a ski test so that I can get a pack? Wouldn't it be better to make sure that a backpack didn't require any specific skiing ability? I'm pretty sure even expert skiers don't mind a lightweight, backhugging pack either... :huh:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Your experience may vary, but I have never seen a pack with a dedicated avy pocket and external water bottle pocket. The closest I've seen is some ski-mo race packs that are uber lightweight, and have a spot on the shoulder strap for a water bottle.

None of these will have a google pocket, but if you're looking for a lightweight ski pack this isn't a bad place to start: https://skimo.co/backpacks .

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not many ski packs that I'm aware of with side water bottle pockets. They tend to get in the way of A-framing skis.

I fail to see how the pocket gets in the way with A frame ski carry. I agree that a bottle would get in the way, but if you have the pocket, you could always put the bottle inside the pack if you were forced to carry your skis in A-frame mode. It's not like you have skis in A frame mode all the time:
  • Not while skiing
  • Not while riding the lift
  • Not while skinning
  • Not while carrying skis in hand
  • Not while carrying skis diagonally
So really, of all the times you might wear a pack, A frame is a pretty small amount of time.
It also is possible. My wing nut pack has side pouches that are attached to the back of the pack and the front is sewn to the waist belt. The skis slide in between the pouch and the body of the pack, then when you tighten the waisbelt, it cinches the skis down too, and anything in the pouches sits outside the skis. (unfortunately the Wingnut doesn't have a shovel/probe pocket, and the ski carry slots are to narrow for fat skis)

Some features on the list are a bit counter each other, so knowing where you'd trade off would be helpful. Most lightweight oriented packs don't offer luxuries like google compartments.
True. That's why I didn't ask for ultralight, I just don't want a 20l day pack that weighs twice as much my 60l internal frame pack(850g). I just don't think that's reasonably necessary. That's why I asked for "as light as possible" So let's say, let's try keep it under 1000g (35oz). And yes, I am willing to accept a higher weight for more durable materials (especcialy zippers), or useful features. What I don't want to carry around is poor fabric, and useless features like separate lining fabrics.

As far as compromises, if someone knows of one that hits all but one bullet, I'd be pretty intrigued. Heck, even if it was 2 short I would check it out seriously.

For example I like a lot of the stuff about the Osprey Kamber, but it has no side pockets, and yet, it's 1250g/44oz! For comparison, their Talon 22 is still very full featured, yet weighs 800g/1.8 lbs. And that's a pretty feature heavy pack. I don't see why a Shovel pocket and slightly beefier frame would have to add 50% of the weight.

I'm pretty happy with my Patagonia Descesionist. It is a bit bigger than you list (40L), but it can be easily compacted with side compressions plus the main strap into a much smaller bag with a flat shape (volume from height and width.). Avy tool pocket, side zipper access, 1 waistbelt pocket and 1040g on the bathroom scale for a size L.

I read the Blister review on that pack and it sounds pretty good. If it came in a 25l size I would seriously consider it, but 40l is just WAY bigger than I need/want.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your experience may vary, but I have never seen a pack with a dedicated avy pocket and external water bottle pocket. The closest I've seen is some ski-mo race packs that are uber lightweight, and have a spot on the shoulder strap for a water bottle.

None of these will have a google pocket, but if you're looking for a lightweight ski pack this isn't a bad place to start: https://skimo.co/backpacks .

Thanks for the link! I hand looked there yet. I had looked at a Camp pack somewhere else. They have some really nice options!
The Skimo side is useful because they try and keep weight down, and they focus on easy access. there is nothing that slows you down more than having to take your pack off every time you want a snack, check a compass, stow your hat, have a drink etc.

Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Look at the Dakine heli-pro which is about as small as you can go for the features you want including avy gear. The ski carry set up isn't an "A" frame, but an angle which is typical on the boot pack here, but not places with thick trees like the east. Back Country Access makes some good ski packs but get large for the patrollers who have to carry more gear.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Are you really saying that I should pass a ski test so that I can get a pack? Wouldn't it be better to make sure that a backpack didn't require any specific skiing ability? I'm pretty sure even expert skiers don't mind a lightweight, backhugging pack either... :huh:

A couple of years ago, I was wearing a pack in-bounds - a small pack, with almost nothing in it - to get used to it, with the plan of doing some out-the-gate stuff later in the season.

At lunch, my instructor confiscated my pack and made me ski without it. I immediately skied better. Immediately.

He explained that packs trick our bodies into skiing more statically than we can. Watch ski patrollers some time. They end up with a lot of shoulder rotation when they're carrying packs.

So the point isn't crazy. But even expert skiers tend to devolve when carrying packs.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Curse of the tall, they don't have any of their mid volume ski packs in a L. :nono:

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I have an Osprey Kamber 32 that I really like. Compartment for my shovel and first aid kit, another for goggles, main compartment hold extra clothing, food, and then a pouch for a 2+ liter water bladder. Don't even know it's on when I'm out. Can also hold skis if you are in a gotta hike section.

20180124_165349.jpg

rear compartment with shovel and first aid kit, zippered pouch in compartment with a few tool sleeves, goggles pouch on top
20180124_165439.jpg

main compartment holds extra clothes, food, also has a zippered pouch
20180124_165457.jpg

water bladder pouch. hose goes through insulated shoulder strap.
20180124_165511.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online