• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smal backpack suggestions?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, The Kamber seems to be a pretty nice one. Ospreys are usually well thought out, and they come in sizes, so tend to fit better.
I wish they were lighter and had a stretch fabric side pockets, but for the rest they are very close to what I’d want, so might end up with one of those.

The Kamber 22, doesn’t even have A frame carry straps, so it really doesn’t make sense they don’t have the side pockets. They use them on the Talon Mtb pack and many others. So nice for a bottle or a map...

Arva Explorer 18 hits most points, but it is small in volume and likely to short in the torso for me:

1A6E7EA0-9FA6-47F4-B451-27D64F1EB873.jpeg

Line Remote pack is interesting too. Two versions:
Old one, 15l:

01A1C5A5-0FA5-49C9-911B-C0624405AAAE.jpeg

And new one, 25l:

101B9674-341E-4E4A-8637-4D2081D35A73.jpeg

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't think you are gonna find a pack designed for skiing that has a side water bottle compartment. The two small packs I would suggest.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/kamber-abs-compatible-22-10-KMBRABS22_550.html

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/backpacks/snow-backpacks/heli-pro-20-liter-backpack/
I have the DaKine Heli Pro 20L, found it for under $40 at Marshalls last year and couldn't resist. Nice little pack, not full of hanging straps. Fit's me well but I'm 5'6.5", I think it'll be too small for him.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think you are gonna find a pack designed for skiing that has a side water bottle compartment/

All three of the models I showed above do. But they are not available in long torso sizes, so possibly to small for me.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the Line Remote pack (old version) came in the mail yesterday.
It is quite large, Biggest 15l pack I have ever seen! I would rate it 20 or more liters. Torso is on the long side too, not a good choice for small people, but great for me. Probably best for people closer to 6’ and up.
I found it for under $30 at the House, but that might have even the last one, there were several other places selling it at $50 though. Best value pack ever for that price. No, it’s not as nice as an Osprey, but at $30 vs $150, the value is there for sure.

1030g.

Pro’s:
  • Great shape, good volume but still very flat against the back. Volume is from height and width, and rectangular outline.
  • Nice zippered shovel blade/skins pocket on outside, separate probe and shovel shaft pockets accessible form the outside.
  • Main compartment accces through top lid and drawstring (=expandable volume)
  • Main compartment acces also through zippered backpanel (=dry backpanel when putting it down to dig in it, or easy acces on the chairlift)
  • Dual waistbelt pockets
  • Side pocket
  • Hydration bladder pouch and covered shoulder strap house routing
Con’s:
  • Shovel pocket is only 9.5” wide
  • Waistbelt pockets are small
  • Side pocket to small for water bottle
  • No A-frame carry (common in smaller packs, since they are so flat, but skinnier skis would fit I beleive)
  • No goggle pocket
  • Hip belt is very straight, not anatomically curved.
  • Silly patches on the back, like fake stickers.
To give you an idea of size and access, here re some pics:

Side pockets easily fit cell phone and emergency space packet bivysack. Will fit more as well. Hip belt pockets empty, but would fit small camera, bars, compass, etc.

D19870EA-0B2F-4208-815B-6702629BB727.jpeg

Fully loaded: shovel, probe, skins in respective compartments. 64Oz Camelback bladder filled and in there too.
In main compartment:
Goggles, Shell jacket (XL), first aid kit, food bag(two apples), ski gloves, down parka. There was still a bit more room in the main compartment if needed.

So, if you can get by with a down or thin synthetic jackets, it should be plenty big for day trips. If you need a heavy synthetic parka, or several days worth of food, probably to small.

014ABF4A-4B05-471B-9D7E-CBD5C8DD7325.jpeg
18016468-5BFA-44A9-B531-779E6D8416F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought this was a requirement!

Well noticed. I had hoped the side pockets would work for one of my smaller bottles. Also no goggle pocket and fairly heavy.

I know it’s hard to find all of the features I listed as my dream pack. So, I figure for $28.50 I have a pack that fulfills most (but not all) of my wishes. If someone can find a pack that get’s all of them, I can still get that, and only be out a few dollars for this one.

For resort skiing I see less of a need for water bottle pockets, since you drink on the lift, with the pack on your lap anyway. For $28.50, it’s ok if it becomes an inbounds only pack if I find a better touring pack.

I also might try and add side pockets and a goggle pocket in the lid.

What I don’t want to do is spend upwards of $100 and then later find something new and improved, :cool:

I also posted the review to help others out, who may or may not have similar wishes as me.

So, I still ask my original question, if someone knows of a pack that fullfills all those wishes, let me know!

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well noticed. I had hoped the side pockets would work for one of my smaller bottles. Also no goggle pocket and fairly heavy.

I know it’s hard to find all of the features I listed as my dream pack. So, I figure for $28.50 I have a pack that fulfills most (but not all) of my wishes. If someone can find a pack that get’s all of them, I can still get that, and only be out a few dollars for this one.

For resort skiing I see less of a need for water bottle pockets, since you drink on the lift, with the pack on your lap anyway. For $28.50, it’s ok if it becomes an inbounds only pack if I find a better touring pack.

I also might try and add side pockets and a goggle pocket in the lid.

What I don’t want to do is spend upwards of $100 and then later find something new and improved, :cool:

I also posted the review to help others out, who may or may not have similar wishes as me.

So, I still ask my original question, if someone knows of a pack that fullfills all those wishes, let me know!

I'm not going to contradict you, but as a fellow pack rat (hehe) with 10+ packs ... I get really annoyed at all the packs (read: clutter) I have, and it's hard to get rid of them (I hate throwing things away). I've become much more ruthless about returning things directly if they are not 100% exactly perfect.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not going to contradict you, but as a fellow pack rat (hehe) with 10+ packs ... I get really annoyed at all the packs (read: clutter) I have, and it's hard to get rid of them (I hate throwing things away). I've become much more ruthless about returning things directly if they are not 100% exactly perfect.

Pack Rat, good one! :thumb:
Good points and all are true for me too. do dislike the clutter, although in the casek backpacks, one more pack on the pack wall won’t make a difference, there are so many on there already ogsmile

I too have been trying to be better about only buying stuff that is just right. In this case I am alright with it, because I really have’t been able to find something better, at any price.