• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sled Deaths at Copper

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well not really... evolution needs some tools too. It's being hindered way too much lately, so spring breaks and suck things (like sledges in halfpipe) are all just fine. And good thing is, they come early enough in life for most of them (no point for this once these genes are already carried forward). ;)

Heartlessness is not something to be proud of. Applauding accidents that lead to dead teenagers?!? Wow.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not applouding. I'm just saying that evolution did just fine until now, with spring breaks included. Why to outlaw spring breaks, moto gatherins, then maybe bars, all adrenaline sports, skiing included, because people might hurt themself. I'm pretty sure 99% of people survive spring breaks without a scratch. For that 1% (probably less), well it's evolution. It's not really that anyone forced them to go down halfpipe with sledge. Maybe it's time for you guys to learn to take responsibility for your actions before it's too late, not to depend on someone to oulaw all (possibly) dangerous things.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think it's just reality that you send boys/young men on holiday and some won't come back. Every year just from summer holidays they drown, alcohol poison themseves, OD, crash motorbikes or fall from balconies, of course usually substance enabled.

James

Out There
Instructor
So these guys were just on a plastic sled? I assumed they rolled a snowmobile.

dwoovre

Booting up
Skier
Going off the end stop of the Copper half pipe at speed probably puts one 40 feet in the air over the flat, rock hard base area. That’s like falling off a third- or fourth-floor balcony onto concrete. Yikes.

This is an older picture. This year they have no slope there, just a vertical wall with a snow sculpture.

320e2615.c10.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Going off the end stop of the Copper half pipe at speed probably puts one 40 feet in the air over the flat, rock hard base area. That’s like falling off a third- or fourth-floor balcony onto concrete. Yikes.

This is an older picture. This year they have no slope there, just a vertical wall with a snow sculpture.

320e2615.c10.jpg
Thanks for the photo. God forbid news videos show the actual layout.

What's the purpose of that massive wall?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I mentioned this in another thread ^^ but didn't link the case. It's not exactly the same, but it still freaks me out.
Thanks for that. I often see folks sledding there still, in spite of the no sledding signs.

Interesting and happy to see the ski safety act applies to sledding too.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Let's hope it isn't a lawsuit.

Right, the article doesn't mention or hint at a lawsuit. It also seems clear that it would be unsuccesful.

Now, two boys died tragically at a ski area. Can we please refrain from silly commentary and thread drifts in this thread? It shows a total lack of empathy. Imagine you are family or friend of these poor boys and come across this thread and read some of the stuff above. How would you feel?

Let's please treat others the way we think we deserve to be treated.

My condolences to these boys's families and loved ones. Stay strong. My heart and prayers are with you. And I have Faith they are in the best hands possible now.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PXL_20230101_050347524.jpg

Here's a picture from this year, Copper's 50th. Fireworks on New Year's Eve light it up. Otherwise, it's pretty dark up there. Not sure I want to know where they landed.

So sad. They were trying to have fun and made a terrible mistake. From other articles, they sounded like amazing kids. :(

We decided to wait to tell our kids about this, as they are still young enough they are generally supervised. Good lesson, just not yet. Then they heard about it at school yesterday and were shaken up.

I can't stop thinking about those poor parents. I imagine at least one set of parents was at Copper. Were they both? Or were the kids with a group? I can't imagine how horrible whoever was in charge must feel. Prayers to everyone touched by this tragedy.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the photo. God forbid news videos show the actual layout.

What's the purpose of that massive wall?
Probably to make sure people using it (properly) slow down and exit safely rather than into the crowded base area and lift lines at a high speed.

Sponsor

Staff online