• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sled Deaths at Copper

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We all did dumb stuff,

Exactly. Wooden sled, off an overpass, over a fence and onto a highway? Been there, done that, competed for biggest flint sparks.

We stayed away from the active rail tracks but only because there was no big snow berm to launch off of.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Oh yeah. I krazy karpetted off our neighbors roof head first. Hit the concrete well top with my head. That left a mark.. mind I was 6 at the time...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One of our ski things was launching off a swing set. This was in the era of vinyl laceup boots and cable throw bindings (and wooden swing seats), mind.

Yes, I totally broke one ski with my eyebrow.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Very sad. But what were they thinking? What could go wrong?

From the article:
The lack of basic safety features on most sleds, including the ability to brake, steer, or stop make them unsafe for use on the ski slopes, Roberson said

From my childhood:
b815d0d0c27e00ff103848a5fc2a0501.gif

I was on a ski club trip to Jay Peak in Vermont ages ago in the pre-waterpark days; i.e, there was NOTHING going on there. We "found" some sleds (god knows where...) that evening and hiked up the beginner hill and our guardian angels managed to keep up. Fun evening. I'm not sure there was any calculation of the risk involved until much later.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Let's hope it isn't a lawsuit. What more can a resort do than have a specific ban and rope and close the feature? 24 hr security on it ?

Young males don't always make great decisions. (Young females too although often they may be different poor decisions).

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's hope it isn't a lawsuit. What more can a resort do than have a specific ban and rope and close the feature? 24 hr security on it ?

I mentioned this in another thread ^^ but didn't link the case. It's not exactly the same, but it still freaks me out.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I mentioned this in another thread ^^ but didn't link the case. It's not exactly the same, but it still freaks me out.

I found another site that gives more info before needing to sign up here https://casetext.com/case/doering-ex-rel-barrett-v-copper-mountain. It's a really interesting case legally and very sad as a person. I think there are enough differences (sleds being provided by the mountain and direction of when and where they could be used) that an attorney will drive a bus right through any reliance on it although I wasn't able find what happened after it was reversed and remanded. I suspect that if the jury was allowed to consider Copper's potential violation of statutory requirements, the actions of the employee(s) with regards to loaning the sled may have opened a door to liability.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sad story but, if the facts outlined in the article linked by the OP are true, filing any sort of lawsuit against Copper would be reprehensible. Were I the judge, I'd toss it on Copper's inevitable summary judgment motion and require the plaintiffs/plaintiffs' counsel to pay Copper's legal fees. This incident has no place in any court file, and a prime spot in any stupidity/Darwin file.

James

Out There
Instructor
Lobby to ban spring break. Nothing good ever happens on spring break.

Mayor-
“As I’ve said many times, we don’t ask for spring break in our city. We don’t want spring break in our city. It’s too rowdy, brings too much disorder and it’s simply too difficult to police,”

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's not just spring break, it's biker week, some conventions, pretty much anything where a large group of people drinks too much.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lobby to ban spring break. Nothing good ever happens on spring break.
Well not really... evolution needs some tools too. It's being hindered way too much lately, so spring breaks and suck things (like sledges in halfpipe) are all just fine. And good thing is, they come early enough in life for most of them (no point for this once these genes are already carried forward). ;)

Sponsor

Staff online