• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Skiing Montana - Big Sky or Whitefish

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Full disclosure I now live at big sky during the winter.
I’ve skied both areas and like both but they’re different. Both have plenty of size and variety for a ski club trip.
Despite both being in Montana they can have significantly different weather. Whitefish is more similar to the Pacific Northwest weather pattern and Big Sky is a Northern Rockies cold smoke snow resort. Unfortunately you will not be able to guess the weather patterns at the time you make your reservations.
Big sky has a little more nightlife at the base area but neither have a big apre ski vibe at their base. The meadow village at big sky is growing rapidly but it’s nothing compared to The town of Whitefish. There is something special about a mountain town that’s not just there to serve the resort and Whitefish has that vibe.
For non skiers, Bozeman offers a lot to do. If you’re in big sky before March you can go to Yellowstone. I think Glacier is closed all winter.
If your group has some real hard core chargers they may prefer the steeps at BS but frankly both have plenty of trees and steeps for most ski clubs.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Glacier is not closed, but the Sun Road closes. It's more cross country or snowshoe territory, though, not a lot of roads open. They do have the odd ranger led course. It's for the hardy.

It's not Pacific Northwest snow, it's Inland Northwest snow, sort of splitting the difference between Utah powder and cement.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, Big Mt. has more of a maritime climate where Big Sky is continental.

Big Mt. is plenty nice but it’s no Big Sky. Big Sky imo might be the best overall ski resort in the country. It’s got it all and lots of it.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for the correcting me regarding Glacier's closings. I'm there frequently but did not pick up on the difference between the park's closing and the road's closing. I was thinking about winter sightseeing.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Sample activity

Join Us in Winter!
In lieu of hiking boots, strap on snowshoes and join a ranger for a two-hour snowshoe in the Apgar area. Take an intimate look at the park while searching for signs of wildlife, discovering plants and animals, and enjoying the solitude of winter during this unique experience.

Winter Snowshoe Walk
Saturday and Sunday at 10:30 am and 2:00 pm
January 13 to March 18, 2018
Meet at Apgar Visitor Center

Not recommended for children under age 6. Participants should be prepared for a variety of winter conditions by wearing appropriate clothing, dressing in layers, and bringing water and snacks. Participants may use their own snowshoes or rent snowshoes for a small fee at the Apgar Visitor Center Bookstore beginning 30 minutes prior to the program. Snowshoe rental is on a first come, first served basis, as availability is limited. Snowshoe rentals are also available in neighboring communities.

Most of the buildings are closed except for weekends. https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hours.htm
It's for the self reliant.

But the area also has snowmobiling and dogsledding. You don't have to confine yourself to only the resort or Glacier. The vast majority of the area is public land of some kind. Plus there's a cat skiing operation, Great Northern Powder Guides.

Last edited:

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is that the trail at Big Sky that goes up towards the Dinner Yurt, between Andesite and the Swiftcurrent side of Lone Peak?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is that the trail at Big Sky that goes up towards the Dinner Yurt, between Andesite and the Swiftcurrent side of Lone Peak?
No it is a logging road adjacent to Flat Iron that is perfect for snow shoeing and also seeing animal tracks and rest areas. Moose bed is pictured.

IMG_1618 (1).JPG

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have never skied Montana...and I really need to do something about that soon!

I am hoping to hit up Whitefish this winter. The lift tickets are a pretty good deal for Canadians if purchased at a local Costco. And less than a 5hr drive :)

Window tickets at Big Sky cost 2.5X more than the Costco discounted Whitefish tickets (if paying with loonies)....so I will need a Mountain Collective (or equivalent) to ski there.

One day...

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The lift tickets are a pretty good deal for Canadians if purchased at a local Costco.
How much are they going for up there? I haven't noticed the cards out here yet, since the resort isn't even open, but last year:

0310181422~2.jpg

Still, I think you can do better buying online sometimes.

• Purchase lift tickets in advance online and get up to 25% OFF window rates.
  • Online ticket sales are available 48 hours in advance. Prices subject to change without notice. Does not include night skiing.
  • All Multi-Day Tickets include a 2 day grace period beginning with the pre-selected start date.
  • Tickets for Children, ages 6 and under, and Super Seniors, ages 70+ are required to access the lifts.
  • Swing Shift Tickets are not available on Multi-Day Tickets.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
How much are they going for up there? I haven't noticed the cards out here yet, since the resort isn't even open, but last year:

View attachment 54876

Still, I think you can do better buying online sometimes.

Last year was 149 CAD for 2 or about 115 USD.

So I guess it is the same price, but with some insurance if the dollar does something weird.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think it's possible to save a couple bucks buying online, but since the discount varies based on day of the week, expected busy dates, days bought in advance, etc. it is generally safer to go with the Costco tickets. I can't remember if they have blackout dates, tho.

Walk up tickets are up $2/day for the coming season, so I expect the Costco cards will go up as well.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I lived in Bozeman thru college and dated a girl from Whitefish. Both ski areas are a ton of fun, but different. Based on the dates of the trips I’d probly pick Whitefush since there is a better chance of awesome snowpack. We always had a pass for BigSky but I remember damaging a lot skis till well after Christmas (luckily I managed the shop in town).

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
We always had a pass for BigSky but I remember damaging a lot skis till well after Christmas.
Base damage while skiing and repair is still the cycle at Big Sky in early season or all season on low snow years.

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I lived in Bozeman thru college and dated a girl from Whitefish. Both ski areas are a ton of fun, but different. Based on the dates of the trips I’d probly pick Whitefush since there is a better chance of awesome snowpack. We always had a pass for BigSky but I remember damaging a lot skis till well after Christmas (luckily I managed the shop in town).
I went with the Whitefish trip in late Feb. Hope to meet up w @Sibhusky while there.

Btw, they were asking if any of us were interested in a day trip to Fernie while there. Seemed like a lot of travel time for what would be a half day of skiing. Is it worth the drive if coming back same day?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, if you leave early enough. I personally haven't been, but my daughter (a VERY good skier) said it was really great, lots of challenging stuff. I'm on Medicare, so not really looking for challenge these days. They run along a ridge line with a lot of chutes.

Now years ago there was someone on Epic who said because of that there were entire days those areas were unavailable due to blasting. I don't know if that's still the case, but we're not supposed to get the winter this season like we've had the last two, so it might not be a concern. Whitefish occasionally has days where Hellroaring Basin and East Rim have delayed openings, but never entire days.

I'm sure others will chime in who have been there.

Oddly, Fernie is closer than Turner or even about the same as Blacktail depending on weather. You will need your passport.

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went with the Whitefish trip in late Feb. Hope to meet up w @Sibhusky while there.

Btw, they were asking if any of us were interested in a day trip to Fernie while there. Seemed like a lot of travel time for what would be a half day of skiing. Is it worth the drive if coming back same day?

I like Fernie. It's pretty close to Whitefish if the border is okay. You should be able to day trip there and ski a full day without making it too long a day. If you can choose a day to go, avoid Saturdays. Fernie gets a lot of Calgary weekend traffic. The Calgarians often skip skiing on Sunday, or go home at lunch. Non-holiday weekdays are not busy.

@Sibhusky is correct about challenges opening terrain. Most of the terrain is threatened by a 600ft+ headwall with big cornices. The headwall is controlled mostly with heli-bombing, and they can't bomb during the ski day, and can't do it if it's snowing. The hill won't be closed, but you might be limited to the Bear chair (skier's left of the lizard Bowl), Elk Chair and Boomerang Chair on big storm days.

The Rope drop in the following days can be fun though.

The new Polar Peak chair has helped speed up the avy control process, but it is still slow.

Watch the weather. Fernie is lower than Whitefish, and mid winter rain, at least near the base) is not uncommon.

My pass next year includes Fernie, so I expect I will be there a lot

Great trees!

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Texans invaded Whitefish Montana for a week. Approx 30 from Houston club and 130 overall from Texas clubs.

Today, Friday, was our last ski day and best snow of all. Report was 7" overnight and it continued to snow throughout the morning. Light, soft snow made for some incredible runs.

At one point, in the trees on Friends of Langley, the snow was mid-thigh! Have never skied snow like that before!
:bestday:

FB_IMG_1551480581147.jpg FB_IMG_1551480515867.jpg FB_IMG_1551480524500.jpg FB_IMG_1551480532908.jpg IMG_2772.jpg IMG_2771.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online