• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
For the record, I agree with you that those guys that scalloped up the side of a cat walk to catch some air are idiots and a**h****. However, that does not stop their lawyer from arguing that their client is in the right.

As someone who treats the edges of catwalks as a terrain park at times, the idea that you must only go straight down a catwalk bothers me. I understand that the intended use of a catwalk is to get you from point A to point B, but the point of any ski trail is to do the same. Just because some choose to have their fun using the terrain in a different way doesn't make them totally in the wrong. IMHO, it's no one persons choice to decide how others get to ski a mountain. If an area needs explicit controls on what is/is not allowable, it is the mountain operators responsibility to make those rules clear and well signed.

That said, what is appropriate skiing depends not only on the terrain (catwalk in this case), but how busy it is. Just like it would be inappropriate to arc GS turns down a busy merge point on a green trail Saturday at 11:15am, cutting people off on catwalks during busy times is inappropriate.

The last time I was at Squaw a young woman came flying down Emigrant face and across the catwalk (popular way for people to get to Shirley runs). There is a warning sign there, but I think she was going too fast to see it, and too out of control to react anyway. She did not land gracefully after getting air off the catwalk.

I don't know why it bothers me but where did the idea that a cat track is called a cat walk? This is a cat walk:

spectators-watching-fashion-model-on-catwalk-picture-idsb10062194j-002

This is a cat walk:

2b1ca8c160418533afd88708db4a8d81--cat-walk-industrial.jpg

This is a CAT TRACK:

Jerome-Beriloz-Meribel-France-Snowboard-Road-Gap-540.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know why it bothers me but where did the idea that a cat track is called a cat walk? This is a cat walk:

spectators-watching-fashion-model-on-catwalk-picture-idsb10062194j-002

This is a cat walk:

2b1ca8c160418533afd88708db4a8d81--cat-walk-industrial.jpg

This is a CAT TRACK:

Jerome-Beriloz-Meribel-France-Snowboard-Road-Gap-540.jpg

Gee dude, If that bothers you, just get out and go skiing. It ain't that important.

Now, get off my lawn.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Where there is congestion and limited options, I always slow down and do not pass. Well, one time I didn't and paid for it with a verbal lashing. When I do pass, I make sure I am clear. One doesn't pass a car and cut-off the passed car, right? Many people just don't use common sense. Safety of others, and even themselves, is not at the forefront.

This weekend, having a discussion about the code with some kids, I made it a point that it's also a list of things people do not follow. So, watch out for yourself.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I've noticed lately is people passing too close, calling, "on your left (or right)" as they go by. I'm used to this in cycling, but in cycling people are usually following the side of the road unless they're passing someone. In skiing, the person downhill from you has the whole slope ahead of them to choose for their "line." I can't believe that people think they can keep you from making a turn by yelling that they are going to pass you at high speed, and closely, on your left (or right).

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What I've noticed lately is people passing too close, calling, "on your left (or right)" as they go by. I'm used to this in cycling, but in cycling people are usually following the side of the road unless they're passing someone. In skiing, the person downhill from you has the whole slope ahead of them to choose for their "line." I can't believe that people think they can keep you from making a turn by yelling that they are going to pass you at high speed, and closely, on your left (or right).
You are correct. They can NOT keep you from making a turn by yelling that they are going to pass you at high speed, and closely, on your left (or right). I think people who yell on your left or on your right fall into three categories: 1. Those that are prepared and have enough speed and quick enough reflexes to avoid you should you suddenly make a sudden sharp turn; 2. Those who find themselves out of control:nono: and cannot stop and want to at least warn you as they try to avoid you; and, 3. assholes.

I also think that a skiers (or boarders) should be polite, and give enough room not to be mistaken for a 3 if they are a 1.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Then there's those of us in a confined space due to other skiers and trail constrictions who are trying to not cause a pile up by suddenly maneuvering to avoid a skier in front who plainly is not aware of the people behind them and is acting accordingly. It's a courtesy.

Maybe we just have quieter snow here. But I had two snowboarders cut me off, first one side then another, appearing out of nowhere. I'd have liked some warning as I reflexively dodged right when the first one apparated by my left toe, right into the second one's path. Just say "behind ya", I'll hold steady while you pass.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I want to agree with this, but I find myself doing it at times. So I'd like to get some feedback instead.

This situation happens a lot. I emerge into an easy runout that is not terribly congested (I'd slow down) but definitely has some slower traffic. I approach somebody going slower than me. It isn't a massive speed differential as I don't ski mach stupid ever, and less so in these areas. They are kinda angling around. I pick a side to pass and as I approach, they slowly drift toward me. I don't let them get too close to squeezing, preferably at least 10 feet, and call out where I am passing them. I COULD cut hard and go the other way around, but this will actually bring me closer to them, and in my experience, tends to startle noobs.

Thoughts?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think it's perfectly okay to tell someone who is mindlessly drifting as you are in the middle of a pass that you're right there. This happens on cat tracks all the time. If they keep at it, you're going to have to make a sudden braking maneuver to avoid them and you could have six people behind you. If they know you're there, they'll hold steady and things will work out. This is different than yelling from ten feet back "coming through" and expecting them to get out of your way.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
You are correct. They can NOT keep you from making a turn by yelling that they are going to pass you at high speed, and closely, on your left (or right). I think people who yell on your left or on your right fall into three categories: 1. Those that are prepared and have enough speed and quick enough reflexes to avoid you should you suddenly make a sudden sharp turn; 2. Those who find themselves out of control:nono: and cannot stop and want to at least warn you as they try to avoid you; and, 3. assholes.

I also think that a skiers (or boarders) should be polite, and give enough room not to be mistaken for a 3 if they are a 1.

My observation is #3 is the most common. <sigh>

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cat tracks and run outs are where it happens most often (to me). Maybe it's because I actually don't pass people the way others are passing me (too closely). I am very aware of beginners ahead of me, and if I want to pass, I will wait until they turn away from the side I want to pass on. This approach may be causing the problems with other skiers wanting to maintain their speed. I have no problem slowing down and then finding a way to pick up some speed again. So I guess it's a different approach to the run.

An example of where I've run into this situation: at Alpine Meadows, blue run that goes to the left around a knob, to a run called Charity. There's a steeper pitch off the lift, then a flatter section curving around to Charity. The side of the knob has bumpy, rutted traverse lines cut in to it, and I'm trying to avoid going on to that. But there is a racer boy ahead of me, to my right, going a little bit slower. I don't know if he's going to cut left or not. So I make some shallow turns and stay behind and to racer boy's left. Then a man, skiing at high speeds, passes me on the left (where's there's already little space), yelling "left!" At that point, if racer boy had suddenly cut left, I wouldn't have been able to go to the left myself because of the man passing at high speeds (from the looks of his skiing, not sure he would have had the reflexes and agility to avoid hitting someone who turned into his way). This is the first year I've run into this.

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor

I have a few things to say about this practice. The first is that while it is a courtesy to announce your presence and your intention when you are planning to pass someone on a cat track, doing so does not then give you the right to pass, or absolve you of your responsibility to allow space for your pass. I for one do not know the difference between my right and left. It is an outcome of being left handed and partially ambidextrous, but I often have to look at my hands to know. I ski with a lot of people every season and I am not the only one with this condition although it is a bit rare. It usually helps me to hear the voice and I know it's on one side or the other. Some people tense up or look over their shoulder and then turn in the direction they are looking. Because I don't know right from left, I usually start clicking my poles as I am overtaking someone and allow plenty of space, especially when the slower skier is wedging and making wide slow turns. It doesn't ruin my day if it takes a few extra minutes to get across a traverse.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm a pole clicker, too.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I don't holler "on your left" or right, because I'm pretty sure at my typical closing rate they won't hear me, or if they do, will be distracted or confused.

Learn to read and predict the movements and trajectories of those below/in front of, you. Make a game of it. Pass within your skillset anticipating everything. Do it all in a millisecond. :)

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And what happens when the person in front crashes? If you pass with the assumption that the person in front won't do anything unpredictable and they catch an edge or something, then you could be setting yourself up for a collision.

I always pass with the assumption that the person in front could topple over or shoot to the side at any moment. I gauge my distance from them based on how fast they're going and how far to the side any caught edge, snow snake, etc., could make them go.
Yup. I got hit on a traverse last week. I thought I left plenty of room for the pass, but the other slider started to lose his balance and made a sudden correction towards me. I hadn't warned that I was passing on that side. I'm not sure it would have made a difference; his move was reactionary. We weren't traveling fast so no major damage. I still have some instep swelling which makes my boot adjustment tricky though. He stayed to make sure I was OK and was very apologetic. I thanked him and apologized explaining that it was technically my fault.

I think it is wise to call out 'on your left/right/blind side.' If I need to bleed speed for a slower slider in front of me, it helps to know what side someone is passing on.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yup. I got hit on a traverse last week. I thought I left plenty of room for the pass, but the other slider started to lose his balance and made a sudden correction towards me. I hadn't warned that I was passing on that side. I'm not sure it would have made a difference; his move was reactionary. We weren't traveling fast so no major damage. I still have some instep swelling which makes my boot adjustment tricky though. He stayed to make sure I was OK and was very apologetic. I thanked him and apologized explaining that it was technically my fault.

I think it is wise to call out 'on your left/right/blind side.' If I need to bleed speed for a slower slider in front of me, it helps to know what side someone is passing on.
Several pages ago somebody suggested using "heel-side" and "toe-side" with snowboarders. I've been doing this and I notice they respond much more quickly than with l/r. Good idea! I've even had one look over at me and say "hey, thanks". I think it was the "heel-side" he was thanking me for, not the heads up.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not correct. The Skier Code is not law unless a state’s ski safety act, if it has one, incorporates it.

In Colorado, the Ski Safety Act assigns a duty
to all skiers, which is written as follows:

Each skier has the duty to maintain control of his speed and course at all times when skiing and to maintain a proper lookout so as to be able to avoid other skiers and objects. However, the primary duty shall be on the person skiing downhill to avoid collision with any person or objects below him.

A sudden 90 degree turn is a failure of the duty to maintain course. Not looking before making such a turn is a failure of the duty to maintain a proper lookout.

I think maybe we had this discussion on Epic... but when I read "duty to maintain control of his speed and course" the key word is control, i.e. you have to be in control, NOT that you have to maintain a particular course (which would get into the whole "skiing lanes" stuff). There shouldn't be anything that disallows a sudden 90 degree turn, per the skiers code, if it's intentional and part of being in control of your line/speed/course. And therefore I'd be surprised if any part of the Colorado Ski Safety Act was intended to have you keep to any particular line/course, as long as you were in control.

TLDR - "maintain control of course" is not the same as "maintain current course"

Sponsor