• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
so the code says downhill skier has right away and it’s your responsibility to avoid them is pretty clear.

Now my question is this if your a skier that is coming down a slope and move to left to pass someone and are at bottom of hill you get a few feet ahead of someone does that give you the right to turn right in front of that person that you pulled ahead of?

Basically I watched an incident happen where bottom of a hill where the run out ends into another trail that ends at lift with one other trail merging before lift literally a few feet away. Guy pulls to the left of trail trying to get ahead of my five year old daughter who was making a right onto new trail which made her downhill skier at that point and she then has to make quick left to avoid this guy and falls. Nothing major but I asked the guy didn’t you look before you made the turn knowing she was right there beside you and there’s another trail merging. He copped attitude and said I don’t have to look I was downhill skier on the previous slope. I said you don’t look before you turn on a crowded slope that merging and he said no. He gave me a bunch of lip. I said dude you made a hard right in front of my kid who was the down hill on new trail since she was right on old and he was further out.

Regardless of who is right or wrong doesn’t it make sense when your making a hard right 90 degree turn to look before you do it?

Shouldn’t there be some common courtesy that even if your ahead of someone on a trail not to cut right in front with an erratic turn?

The entire incident would have been avoided if he would have simply looked and saw her making her turn to lift and rounded out his turn to match what she did. She was making rounded turn to meet at back of lift lines and he was making short hard turn to get to front lift line to get singles chair. I just don’t buy the bs that skier isn’t responsible to look before turning or merging onto a trail. He is damn lucky it was my kid who was able to adjust and make a turn and miss his knees. I know I’ve seen some missles come down that steeper pitch and I wouldn’t wanna be turning sharp into them.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
:popcorn:

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
  5. Always use devices to prevent runaway equipment; you are responsible for possible damage or injury as a result of runaways.
  6. Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  7. Prior to using any lift, you must have knowledge and the ability to load, ride, & unload safely.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@SBrown thanks I was so pissed at the guy that I forgot about that one. He about got it from me. I had even took one ski off while he was saying he didn’t have to look. I’m gonna screen shot the code and have it on hand from now on.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
To me if you're passing, it's your responsibility to give a WIDE BERTH to the passed skier. You don't suddenly become "right" and free of responsibility in the blink of an eye. It's why I prefer the FIS international code: http://www.wmr-guide.com/code.html Numbers 1, 3, and 4 all apply. But we can't get people to learn our "simpler" version.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
To me if you're passing, it's your responsibility to give a WIDE BERTH to the passed skier. You don't suddenly become "right" and free of responsibility in the blink of an eye. It's why I prefer the FIS international code: http://www.wmr-guide.com/code.html Numbers 1, 3, and 4 all apply. But we can't get people to learn our "simpler" version.

I like those images. I agree completely. It’s really common sense stuff and easy but people just don’t think. Besides why would you cut sharply in front of anyone due to risk of injury to yourself. Let alone cut off a kid that has slower neurological reaction speed than an adult. Either way a simple look up hill to merging trail prevents any issues. Hell I look before making any turn on any trail regardless. I don’t want to get in front of a skier that maybe closer than I last thought. Simple courtesy to others makes sport much more fun for all.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am a newb, but in any situation a kid should be given a wide berth and an understanding that they are quite possibly new and don’t understand the “rules of the slopes”.

Come on adults, use some freaking common sense

Exactly plus he had gone from the trail he was and merged to another trail giving my daughter right away on skier code as he was obligated to look up at merging trails.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Ohioskier, Your description of the event and your conclusion about the wrongness of the guy who didn't pass your daughter with enough space is good. But I have to disagree with the following two lines:

Regardless of who is right or wrong doesn’t it make sense when your making a hard right 90 degree turn to look before you do it?

Shouldn’t there be some common courtesy that even if your ahead of someone on a trail not to cut right in front with an erratic turn?

Making turns on the slope (whether 90-degree, 10-degree, "erratic", smooth and predictable, or otherwise) is exactly why I'm skiing. I expect all other skiers and boarders to be doing the same. If they are below me, I adjust to miss them. If they are above me, they need to adjust to miss me.

This has little to do with your description of the guy who while passing your daughter, cut right in front of her.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Ohioskier, Your description of the event and your conclusion about the wrongness of the guy who didn't pass your daughter with enough space is good. But I have to disagree with the following two lines:

Making turns on the slope (whether 90-degree, 10-degree, "erratic", smooth and predictable, or otherwise) is exactly why I'm skiing. I expect all other skiers and boarders to be doing the same. If they are below me, I adjust to miss them. If they are above me, they need to adjust to miss me.

This has little to do with your description of the guy who while passing your daughter, cut right in front of her.

@pchewn so you purposely take a hard right into a merging skier that is only 3 foot away and that’s the joy of skiing?

Keep in mind lift line is 10 yards away and terrain was flat meant to funnel into line and was a runout. He violated skier code and was ass.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think just from a good sense positive if there are others on the slope that you try not to be unpredictable. It's all very well to practice turn shapes of various kinds if you've looked uphill, and selected an ample "window" in the crowds to accommodate this carrying on, beforehand. If there is no such window, then you attempt not to make things more complicated for everyone. Chances are, the people behind you are avoiding other moving bodies of their own, and don't need any more anomalies. It's not worth being in the hospital to prove you're right and they are wrong. That's just bullheadedness.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@pchewn so you purposely take a hard right into a merging skier that is only 3 foot away and that’s the joy of skiing?

Keep in mind lift line is 10 yards away and terrain was flat meant to funnel into line and was a runout. He violated skier code and was ass.

@Ohioskier No. Your reading comprehension needs work. 90-degree turns BY THEMSELVES are not against the code or dangerous -- and skiers above would need to avoid the 90-degree skier....

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
so the code says downhill skier has right away and it’s your responsibility to avoid them is pretty clear.

Now my question is this if your a skier that is coming down a slope and move to left to pass someone and are at bottom of hill you get a few feet ahead of someone does that give you the right to turn right in front of that person that you pulled ahead of?

Basically I watched an incident happen where bottom of a hill where the run out ends into another trail that ends at lift with one other trail merging before lift literally a few feet away. Guy pulls to the left of trail trying to get ahead of my five year old daughter who was making a right onto new trail which made her downhill skier at that point and she then has to make quick left to avoid this guy and falls. Nothing major but I asked the guy didn’t you look before you made the turn knowing she was right there beside you and there’s another trail merging. He copped attitude and said I don’t have to look I was downhill skier on the previous slope. I said you don’t look before you turn on a crowded slope that merging and he said no. He gave me a bunch of lip. I said dude you made a hard right in front of my kid who was the down hill on new trail since she was right on old and he was further out.

The entire incident would have been avoided if he would have simply looked and saw her making her turn to lift and rounded out his turn to match what she did. She was making rounded turn to meet at back of lift lines and he was making short hard turn to get to front lift line to get singles chair. I just don’t buy the bs that skier isn’t responsible to look before turning or merging onto a trail. He is damn lucky it was my kid who was able to adjust and make a turn and miss his knees. I know I’ve seen some missles come down that steeper pitch and I wouldn’t wanna be turning sharp into them.

It seems that a lot of people when at fault in a collision never want to admit they were in the wrong even when it could defuse a situation. A lot of the time I assume it is just being a jerk but I wonder if it is a situation like in car accidents where you are not meant to admit fault?

I have to admit I have made mistakes where, if the downhill person in a collision, I would have had a hard time blaming someone who ran into me. My 11 year old son was involved in a minor collision with a younger girl on a black diamond recently, I was lagging behind and did not see what happened. The girl's father never made any accusation against my son so the collision was not debated, but listening to my son's description I would say that he was at fault (despite his objections). On the other hand, a young girl power wedging down a fairly busy black diamond in principle should be safe from collisions but that is expecting a lot from other kids who also have real life limitations in what they can handle.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Ohioskier No. Your reading comprehension needs work. 90-degree turns BY THEMSELVES are not against the code or dangerous -- and skiers above would need to avoid the 90-degree skier....

Sure I agree but we are in a different circumstance and situation. If your on a slope and make a 90 degree turn it’s fine. If you make it right in front of someone that you had just passed by a foot or two it’s not. I completely understand that.

Somehow I missed the entire last sentence about little to do with my situation. Sorry

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I will say I have had an incident, and multiple close calls while I am the downhill skier where the uphill skier then chided and blamed me for making "erratic" or severe turns. This irks me to no end -- simply because I can occasionally load up a ski and launch across a hill more quickly than most on the hill doesn't give you permission to buzz or hit me.

That said, the rules at ends of runs and merge points are entirely different then just the middle of a run. And when a young child is involved, it is almost always the adults responsibility to not be an asshat.

Last edited:
TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
It seems that a lot of people when at fault in a collision never want to admit they were in the wrong even when it could defuse a situation. A lot of the time I assume it is just being a jerk but I wonder if it is a situation like in car accidents where you are not meant to admit fault?

I have to admit I have made mistakes where, if the downhill person in a collision, I would have had a hard time blaming someone who ran into me. My 11 year old son was involved in a minor collision with a younger girl on a black diamond recently, I was lagging behind and did not see what happened. The girl's father never made any accusation against my son so the collision was not debated, but listening to my son's description I would say that he was at fault (despite his objections). On the other hand, a young girl power wedging down a fairly busy black diamond in principle should be safe from collisions but that is expecting a lot from other kids who also have real life limitations in what they can handle.

Thanks for the insight. My daughter did a great job to make a difficult quick turn get behind the guy. She tripped over the tails of his skis and fell. Nothing major but when I simply asked the guy what was he doing he became and ass about the fact he didn’t look to the right before hard turn to see merging trail skiers he is required to yield to. It could have been much worse for him a 6 year old into his 60 year old knees.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am always one to give benefit of doubt when I hear/read about any incident. And also especially when only receiving the info from only one party and not the other. But this time I have little to no doubt this other person was completely wrong and Ive experienced exactly what your speaking of a number of times. You just don't pass someone and then cut in front of them.

Ive had this happen just last week at camelback and it reminded me its one the reasons why I havnt been there in many years. A large amount of younger crowd snow boarders. And not that skiers are exempt from doing things wrong but on several occasions I was passed by boarders from behind who then would cut right in front of me. It was a constant issue that day. No regard for anyone or anything and the hill is like a big free for all to do whatever they wish. Just no sense of order any where on that hill to be found. That place and mountain creek in NJ about the two worst hills in general area and among other reasons is why I don't go to either one anymore.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I will say I have had an incident, and multiple close calls while I am the downhill skier where the uphill skier then chided and blamed me for making "erratic" or severe turns. This irks me to end -- simply because I can occasionally load up a ski and launch across a hill more quickly than most on the hill doesn't give you permission to buzz or hit me.

That said, the rules at ends of runs and merge points are entirely different then just the middle of a run. And when a young child is involved, it is almost always the adults responsibility to not be an asshat.

Thats the thing sbout being a higher level skier. I make allowances for lower level riders. Head on a swivel is one. They don't know the power of the darkside.
27657612_10155415081418553_780210850763956053_n.png.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online