• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have done it both ways, with and without kids, and with and without other families. I prefer to stay close to the mountain so that I can walk to the lift, or ski in/ski out -- the main reason is that I am a lazy sot, and prefer to minimize the hassle even if it means spending a little more money. But either way works out fine and has been great -- the trick is having the right mindset and not sweating any problems that arise (eg, powder day and you have one vehicle and you can't get the rest of the group to get their s**t together quick enough -- the trick is realizing that I never get untracked powder anyway, and there will be planty of skiing for me when I arrive).

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Right about now I'd like to spend the next four days holed in the Alpine Haus hotel up at my favorite non-resort big ass ski area: Crystal Mountain (the Washington one…not that there's anything wrong with lovely Michigan).

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'm kinda sorta fond of resorts that feel like ski areas on the right lifts. Sometimes there's a lot of terrain in those places and not all that many skiers, with civilization awaiting for those one-run-too-many days.

I'm also fond of ski areas that have a hint of resort. Like BML is not my least favorite place in the world.

This may be the "lady on the street, but a freak in the bed" preference.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I like the variety of runs at the big resorts but don't really care about ski villages, although my dog likes to take me shopping to as many ski shops as possible where there are great opportunities for treats and belly rubs.

My preference is for big resorts with small or no crowds. Aspen and Big Sky come to mind, Sun Peaks and Red Mountain in B.C. and Castle Mountain in Alberta which is not a resort but more like a 1970s throw back ski area with 2800 vertical and great black diamond skiing and no one there mid week.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hrmm. For the last five years straight, we've rented a condo with a five minute walk to the lift at Breck. I guess that's a major resort, but it's not ski in/ski out, and I've even gotten to know my neighbor there. It's definitely the opposite of dirt bagging. But we ignore the night life and shopping for the most part. The condo we're in is so nice and quiet - there's a garage below, nobody above - in the last five years there have only been two nights when I could hear noise from parties nearby. Otherwise, blissful silence, no boots tromping through hallways or drunk people giggling outside my door. Heaven. We could have put down a down payment on a nice condo for the money we've spent renting, but we didn't want the commitment of two mortgages.

I've shared rooms and beds on ski trips, no big deal, though I would balk at sleeping on a couch or the floor. That worked fine when I was 20.

When I'm not traveling with other people, I'm more likely to spend money for convenience, but this season has me in a pickle. Husband and I got the MCP, but when I add up the costs of lodging and dog care, the cost makes my eyes water. I had been thinking I could stay at a relative's house in Park City for Alta/Snowbird, but that isn't going to work out. So ... been punting on any decisions so far. I really want to ski Jackson Hole and Alta, would like to hit up SnowBasin while there (hi @AmyPJ !), and Aspen would be nice, too, especially if I can hit the gathering. I don't need ski in/ski out, but driving a half an hour to the mountain makes me sad when I can stay home, save money (sunk cost), and walk to Breck's lifts.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Resorts are full of tourists, for the most part Ski Areas are less crowded. If I was looking to ski Tahoe I would for sure stay in Reno, and take shuttles or drive to ANY of the places mentioned. Mt. Rose is one of my favorite places, but if it's too windy I know to tuck in to N* for the day.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finally at a point in my life I can go on ski vacations.. yes I'm on a splurge staying Alta Lodge, fine w/sharing rooms, no sofas please, want way to the Mt so i don't have to 'wait" to ski. don't need the finest, but do like being 'front row" like having kitchen to make food, eat, sleep, ski what else is there on a ski vacation?

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We're at Whistler right now. Love the short walk to the slopes, hate the resort prices for everything! And I am NOT used to having to make reservations to eat at a pizza place (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January