• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Simplest way to teach newer skiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Instructors, what are your thoughts as to the absolutely simplest, fastest way to teach good fundamental skiing to first timers and novices? Think getting students to make good rounded linked turns on easier blue terrain, with speed control. I wouldn't really care if the students were fully parallel all the time, although that's a fine objective.

I have some ideas, but would be interested in hearing from others first.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
1. teach a centered fore/aft stance with shin contact to front of boot
2. teach ankle movement to adjust fore/aft balance
3. teach rotating the femurs toward each other (flat skis) followed by spreading the legs to create friction and stopping. Most beginners will not “go” until they know they can stop. Critical mental barrier to address.
4. Teach flattening of the downhill ski in conjunction with leg rotation. Students experience the “sliding pivot”. Once the skis are flat, they start to slide down the hill. Turning is easy. The hill gives enough edge angle at this point.
5. Teach turning the legs until the skis are pointed across the hill
6. Focus on not turning the skis downhill until the student is ready to go faster.
7. Have students stay in your tracks so they get to know how much to turn before pointing the skis downhill.

This works. Students are doing nice wedge christies on flat terrain very quickly. increase the hill angle and the speed and they are parallel without even trying.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
One of my favorite ways to teach a round turn shape for beginners is to scribe a line behind me with my ski pole & have them focus on keeping the line between their skis.

The simplest, best way to teach someone changes (sometimes drastically) for each individual &/or group. There are too many different personalities, talents, past experiences & aptitudes for me to think one particular approach is the simplest.
What is simple for person A may seem complicated to person B.

If all else fails…
Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!
ogwink

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Trick question? All depends on the learners - age - fitness/athleticism - boldness/fear
The way to teach typical vs intellectually disabled skiers is different
The way to teach kids vs adolescents/adults is different

I am not sure if there is quick easy way. The goal should be to build strong foundations, to build confidence.

The premise is that this is a private lesson.
I have gotten elite hockey player teens to do a basic parallel on green runs in the morning. Then on to an easy blue by late afternoon in ONE day.
Some really out of shape types very uncoordinated types or seniors or kids with a developmental disability (with their parents as aides) up to 3 days.

You must assess, not just 'get to know' your student

Use snow blades or very short fat skis - make it as easy as possible, reduce the fear factor. Introduce poles later.

Without getting lost in tech talk, & only if the student asks show on the snow why the ski has a side cut, camber, edges and how these features causes a ski to turn.

Ditch the tech talk as much as possible (if the student asks for details save it for riding up the lift), show, shape the body get the student to experience/feel progressively proper use of their skis

Start in a learning area, move to a green slope - the GOAL is a blue run

1 teach or use & practice lots of little L & R step turns, skating & gliding in a flat then easy sloped area - so they learn to use, to really feel the edges, gliding & control - to become totally comfortable, confident on skis
2 teach & practice side step herring bone on flats then up hill followed by sliding down - all to teach get the student to feel & use the edges. teach the snow plow or if very athletic (ie a good hockey player) a hockey stop - all to get more comfortable
3 teaching gliding & stopping followed by turning

Use an easy green run APPROPRIATE for the student when you have determined the student is ready
4 teach & practice using the lift - t bar or chair or whatever they need to use to get up the hill
5 Use the skills the confidence you have built in the learning area to have your student progressively apply them on the green slope
6 hold them back from speeding down the hill, teach them to turn, to be in control

You know the rest

Disinterested

Getting off the lift
Skier
It just depends on what your terrain and learner is like. If you have a lot of fairly flat easy terrain then some sort of direct to parrallel where the learner has a very short ski and can slowly work with you on learning to steer and edge in an athletic posture is ideal. If you don't have a lot of flat terrain to use - it's narrow and steeepr say, or the person is very frightened, you probably need to introduce braking wedging and wedge turning and then work towards parallel by teaching a christie type movement.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Most people who have a lot of hours on ice skates can make a pair of shorter skis work on blue terrain pretty quickly.

Back in the day the GLM made sense.. But, I still shudder when I see that person on blades who'd making it work but obviously has very little actual experience on that kind of terrain (or any snow at all)..

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Teach a centered, through the arch, stance and make them use the edges of their feet.

But what does that mean?
It means you must change how we dynamically balance 99 percent of the time to something different.
It means the heel-toe methodology we use to manage locomotion is now a single point of reference for "balancing while on the move".
It means in order for the ski to be on edge, your feet need to be on edge. You don't need to teach going straight.

Ingrain this in your students first and the rest of the mechanics will follow. If not, be prepared for a lesson of struggles.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is going to very so much depending on the students, as mentioned above, and the terrain available. Expect in a group the learning curve is going to be paced to an extent by the weakest student.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Boots that fit! Even if from the rental shop, get the best fit.

Never teach anything that must be un-learned. There is no reason to teach a wedge christie that may become a bad habit. On modern ski equipment first day skiers can go from a snowplow to a very basic parallel turn in the first all day lesson or the second day. You'll watch them go through a wedge christie stage into the parallel stage, and don't mention the christie.

Poles probably get in the way on day 1, can be useful later. Getting on a chair...go to the load mark, point both skis straight forward, sit way back in the chair when it comes. Getting off the chair...point both skis straight ahead a bit out in front, at the unload mark point stand all the way up.

Teach them to always stand on the balls of their feet. Squatting to pressure the boot tongues does little except tire them. Moving their body center of mass forward over their toes correctly pressures the skis. Watch for the young women with such great flexibility that they can pressure the boot tongues, lean their shoulders back, and ski on the tails.

Teach side slips. Teach side slips with their weight centered, a bit on the tips, a bit on the tails, back to the center. New skiers need to know that they can get down any bad bit safely with a side slip.

Teach counter and angulation even in the first all day lesson or the second lesson. Teach them to read the terrain and pick the path that looks best to them. Teach them ski hill traffic patterns and ski hill safety.

TS
C

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My turn!

Several of you have made comments to the effect that the approach must depend on the individual student. Acknowledged, we always need to be sensitive to the wants, needs, physical condition, and emotional state of each student, to constantly revise our assessments, and to alter the lesson plan on the fly accordingly. Nevertheless, there are constants.

If I pick one unifying theme that I'd consider superior for teaching newer skiers, it's "ski from the feet up." Sure, that's been said many times. But my recent New Zealand experience has given me a new understanding of the concept. I thought I knew what skiing from the feet meant; maybe I did, and maybe I didn't.

Specifically, here are some ideas:

(1) Nancy Hummel says, "1. teach a centered fore/aft stance with shin contact to front of boot. 2. teach ankle movement to adjust fore/aft balance." (Nancy's whole program is great.) The fore-aft balance and movement pattern needed for skiing is completely different from beginners' everyday experience. As bipeds, we are heel strikers. A stride begins with landing on one heel, and rocking forward onto the ball of the foot. That doesn't work for skiing. We need to learn to stay relatively centered fore-aft, with flexed joints, all the time. I rate this as the single greatest challenge, yet most important new skill, for new skiers. Hands down. This can be taught, initially, walking around in ski boots. Then it's crucial to instill in the first downhill runs, without turns. These should be straight runs to a flat or a return pipe. Take away any need for braking action. Get the student comfortable with accelerating while holding a good stance. Teach, right up front, the concept of using terrain rather than braking action for speed control.

As the student moves on to less gentle terrain, and starts making turns, it's essential to maintain that focus on keeping centered fore-aft. We often speak of moving the body mass forward in the first part of a turn downhill. But is it necessary to keep hammering on this? Maybe not. If the student simply focuses on achieving a centered stance, he'll soon figure out, consciously or otherwise, the body movements needed to maintain that stance. Teach to the result. Starting on extremely gentle terrain, it's not difficult. Maintain that focus as you move to steeper terrain.

Closely related to this is the idea of maintaining ankle tension. Or to use another term, dorsiflexion. This is a muscular engagement with which new skiers probably have little experience. As terrain steepens and speeds increase, ankle tension is essential to maintaining good fore-aft balance.

Henry says, "Teach them to always stand on the balls of their feet." Here I disagree. While new skiers typically need to get more forward than where they'll be without prompting, my recent coaching has emphasized a "home base" balance that's biased to the front of the heel. This is to be done at the same time as ankle flexion is maintained, so that the skier maintains tongue contact. Fore-aft balance is then fine tuned through upper body posture. "Standing on the balls of the feet" implies plantar flexion.

(2) Nancy Hummel says, "3. teach rotating the femurs toward each other (flat skis) followed by spreading the legs to create friction and stopping. Most beginners will not “go” until they know they can stop. Critical mental barrier to address. ...5. Teach turning the legs until the skis are pointed across the hill." This ability to rotate the femurs in the hip sockets is the next fundamental skill. It facilitates all other skiing movements. While we may originate lateral movements in the feet, that freedom in the hip sockets must be present to allow those movements to work their way up the chain and create ski performance. Additionally, complementary to this, the skier must allow free movement in the subtalar joints. Some people are locked in the subtalar joints, and this needs to be addressed immediately.

Command over femur rotation is needed alike for creating an effective wedge, or for making a parallel turn. It's just a distinction between the femurs rotating in opposite directions, or the same direction. Demonstrate this, get the student to feel it, and have the student practice both types of movement! Learn to keep that femur rotation going as long as necessary to accomplish the desired type, radius, and length of turn.

(3) The following was our unifying theme for a whole week in New Zealand. It had quite a positive impact on the skiers in our group. We speak, of course, of directing pressure (or balance) to the outside ski. However, in New Zealand we gave attention to the fact that there's a moment, however brief, where our balance is distributed 50-50 between the two skis. (Or feet, actually.) The lesson, then, is simply, don't skip over that moment. Focus on it, and move smoothly and progressively through it. The end point might be 70-30, or 80-20, or even a lifted inside ski--but whatever the end point, we don't want to go to it abruptly, we want to get there by way of a balance transfer that takes a bit of time. And the process is started more by a taking away of pressure on one foot than by an assertive addition of pressure on the other.

I think this approach to lateral movement could be very effective with beginners, as it was with more advanced skiers in New Zealand. It can be done whether you're keeping skis parallel or skiing in a little wedge. It's not necessary to have a lot of discussion of foot tipping, or upper body balancing. The student will largely figure out what's needed to achieve the result of a smooth, progressive balance transfer. We saw that this focus automatically led to improved performance--better rounded turns, and more effective edging. There's no need to try to turn.

With newer skiers, just start on extremely gentle terrain, and work your way up.

(4) Per Geri Tumbasz (and with a bow to JESinstr), "We don't balance on the outside ski. We don't balance on the outside foot. We balance on the inside edge of the sole of the outside foot." Teach students where they're going to feel the pressure on the foot if they're doing it right. It's on that specific part of the sole, and a bit on the ankle bone. Get the students to feel the specific muscular engagement that creates foot tipping and balance on that part of the foot. It starts, again, with ankle tension. Then add in tension in the small muscles that control eversion and inversion. Instilling this balance is important for both parallel and wedge turns. The most basic exercise for learning both big toe edge and little toe edge balance is sidestepping uphill. Even better to learning big toe edge balance is sidestepping downhill. Strong outside ski balance and edging can then be practiced on gentle terrain with power wedges. The goal is always more, more, more edge and outside ski engagement with the snow. Stem Christies are another good practice.

(5) And the final basic skill that new skiers should learn is adjusting between riding an edged ski and making skidded (or brushed) turns. As Henry says--side slips! Too many people ski for years without getting good at them or even understanding them. Sideslipping then leads, as Nancy Hummel says, to, "Teach flattening of the downhill ski in conjunction with leg rotation." An excellent exercise is to ski in a wedge on gentle terrain, and then learn to make direction changes back and forth by riding the edge of one ski, then the other. A "crab walk." Zero rotational input! Then change things up, adjust the fore-aft balance, adjust the edging, add a bit of rotational input, and make tight, linked wedge turns. Alternate the two. It's surprising how many experienced skiers, even, have a devil of a time removing the rotational input. On the other hand, some beginners might have a hard time putting it in.

(6) Agreed, having student follow your tracks, or follow a line that you trace in the snow, is excellent practice.

(7) Personally, I don't favor fat skis for learning. It's much easier to get ski performance out of narrow skis. The basic skis in the typical rental fleet are actually pretty good these days. The right width, the right shape, with a bit of tip and tail early rise to make them nice and mellow. The more expensive "demo" skis are usually fat, might have big rocker, and aren't going to teach good habits--totally unnecessary for the terrain novices will be skiing.

4ster

Instructor
^Good stuff^ :).
it's "ski from the feet up.
I’ve always said that in my utopian ski school everyone would spend their first day on cross-country skis. No need to lean on those big stiff plastic boots, just balance against the soles of your feet while sliding forward. The French call it “glisse” or "glissement".

Then it's crucial to instill in the first downhill runs, without turns. These should be straight runs to a flat or a return pipe. Take away any need for braking action. Get the student comfortable with accelerating while holding a good stance. Teach, right up front, the concept of using terrain rather than braking action for speed control.
Alpine skiing is a “GO” sport!
I’ve always felt sorry for schools & students who didn’t have or developed the terrain for this type of learning. Worse yet is to not instill the importance of long gentle straight runs into a schools training. Students will never develop a relaxed, natural, athletic, dynamic, balanced stance if they’re scared shitless :geek:!

Standing on the balls of the feet" implies plantar flexion…
…or leaning forward when we really want balance like you say at “home base” on the soles of our feet.
I owned and operated a Water Ski School for many years. So many are under the impression that you need to lean back when you waterski but if you lean back, you fall back. You may lean against the pull of the boat but leaning back is trouble.

With newer skiers, just start on extremely gentle terrain, and work your way up.
I like to say GTM (Graduated Terrain Method) or in more modern times someone reinvented it & TM’d it “Terrain Based Learning” but it’s really always been there in some form.

Reference: When I began teaching, GLM (Graduated Length Method) a direct to parallel ski teaching method developed by Cliff Taylor in the early 70’s where the student began on extremely short skis, was already dead or dying but the name & idea lives on.

We balance on the inside edge of the sole of the outside foot.
I always like to say “balance against” but that’s just semantics.

While following the other thread I kept thinking “I hope this academy is developing better skilled teachers & not just making better skiers”. Threads like this prove the former, thanks!

Last edited:

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
My turn!

Several of you have made comments to the effect that the approach must depend on the individual student. Acknowledged, we always need to be sensitive to the wants, needs, physical condition, and emotional state of each student, to constantly revise our assessments, and to alter the lesson plan on the fly accordingly. Nevertheless, there are constants.

If I pick one unifying theme that I'd consider superior for teaching newer skiers, it's "ski from the feet up." Sure, that's been said many times. But my recent New Zealand experience has given me a new understanding of the concept. I thought I knew what skiing from the feet meant; maybe I did, and maybe I didn't.

Specifically, here are some ideas:

(1) Nancy Hummel says, "1. teach a centered fore/aft stance with shin contact to front of boot. 2. teach ankle movement to adjust fore/aft balance." (Nancy's whole program is great.) The fore-aft balance and movement pattern needed for skiing is completely different from beginners' everyday experience. As bipeds, we are heel strikers. A stride begins with landing on one heel, and rocking forward onto the ball of the foot. That doesn't work for skiing. We need to learn to stay relatively centered fore-aft, with flexed joints, all the time. I rate this as the single greatest challenge, yet most important new skill, for new skiers. Hands down. This can be taught, initially, walking around in ski boots. Then it's crucial to instill in the first downhill runs, without turns. These should be straight runs to a flat or a return pipe. Take away any need for braking action. Get the student comfortable with accelerating while holding a good stance. Teach, right up front, the concept of using terrain rather than braking action for speed control.

As the student moves on to less gentle terrain, and starts making turns, it's essential to maintain that focus on keeping centered fore-aft. We often speak of moving the body mass forward in the first part of a turn downhill. But is it necessary to keep hammering on this? Maybe not. If the student simply focuses on achieving a centered stance, he'll soon figure out, consciously or otherwise, the body movements needed to maintain that stance. Teach to the result. Starting on extremely gentle terrain, it's not difficult. Maintain that focus as you move to steeper terrain.

Closely related to this is the idea of maintaining ankle tension. Or to use another term, dorsiflexion. This is a muscular engagement with which new skiers probably have little experience. As terrain steepens and speeds increase, ankle tension is essential to maintaining good fore-aft balance.

Henry says, "Teach them to always stand on the balls of their feet." Here I disagree. While new skiers typically need to get more forward than where they'll be without prompting, my recent coaching has emphasized a "home base" balance that's biased to the front of the heel. This is to be done at the same time as ankle flexion is maintained, so that the skier maintains tongue contact. Fore-aft balance is then fine tuned through upper body posture. "Standing on the balls of the feet" implies plantar flexion.

(2) Nancy Hummel says, "3. teach rotating the femurs toward each other (flat skis) followed by spreading the legs to create friction and stopping. Most beginners will not “go” until they know they can stop. Critical mental barrier to address. ...5. Teach turning the legs until the skis are pointed across the hill." This ability to rotate the femurs in the hip sockets is the next fundamental skill. It facilitates all other skiing movements. While we may originate lateral movements in the feet, that freedom in the hip sockets must be present to allow those movements to work their way up the chain and create ski performance. Additionally, complementary to this, the skier must allow free movement in the subtalar joints. Some people are locked in the subtalar joints, and this needs to be addressed immediately.

Command over femur rotation is needed alike for creating an effective wedge, or for making a parallel turn. It's just a distinction between the femurs rotating in opposite directions, or the same direction. Demonstrate this, get the student to feel it, and have the student practice both types of movement! Learn to keep that femur rotation going as long as necessary to accomplish the desired type, radius, and length of turn.

(3) The following was our unifying theme for a whole week in New Zealand. It had quite a positive impact on the skiers in our group. We speak, of course, of directing pressure (or balance) to the outside ski. However, in New Zealand we gave attention to the fact that there's a moment, however brief, where our balance is distributed 50-50 between the two skis. (Or feet, actually.) The lesson, then, is simply, don't skip over that moment. Focus on it, and move smoothly and progressively through it. The end point might be 70-30, or 80-20, or even a lifted inside ski--but whatever the end point, we don't want to go to it abruptly, we want to get there by way of a balance transfer that takes a bit of time. And the process is started more by a taking away of pressure on one foot than by an assertive addition of pressure on the other.

I think this approach to lateral movement could be very effective with beginners, as it was with more advanced skiers in New Zealand. It can be done whether you're keeping skis parallel or skiing in a little wedge. It's not necessary to have a lot of discussion of foot tipping, or upper body balancing. The student will largely figure out what's needed to achieve the result of a smooth, progressive balance transfer. We saw that this focus automatically led to improved performance--better rounded turns, and more effective edging. There's no need to try to turn.

(4) Per Geri Tumbasz (and with a bow to JESinstr), "We don't balance on the outside ski. We don't balance on the outside foot. We balance on the inside edge of the sole of the outside foot." Teach students where they're going to feel the pressure on the foot if they're doing it right. It's on that specific part of the sole, and a bit on the ankle bone. Get the students to feel the specific muscular engagement that creates foot tipping and balance on that part of the foot. It starts, again, with ankle tension. Then add in tension in the small muscles that control eversion and inversion. Instilling this balance is important for both parallel and wedge turns. The most basic exercise for learning both big toe edge and little toe edge balance is sidestepping uphill. Even better to learning big toe edge balance is sidestepping downhill. Strong outside ski balance and edging can then be practiced on gentle terrain with power wedges. The goal is always more, more, more edge and outside ski engagement with the snow. Stem Christies are another good practice.

(5) And the final basic skill that new skiers should learn is adjusting between riding an edged ski and making skidded (or brushed) turns. As Henry says--side slips! Too many people ski for years without getting good at them or even understanding them. Sideslipping then leads, as Nancy Hummel says, to, "Teach flattening of the downhill ski in conjunction with leg rotation." An excellent exercise is to ski in a wedge on gentle terrain, and then learn to make direction changes back and forth by riding the edge of one ski, then the other. A "crab walk." Zero rotational input! Then change things up, adjust the fore-aft balance, adjust the edging, add a bit of rotational input, and make tight, linked wedge turns. Alternate the two. It's surprising how many experienced skiers, even, have a devil of a time removing the rotational input. On the other hand, some beginners might have a hard time putting it in.

(6) Agreed, having student follow your tracks, or follow a line that you trace in the snow, is excellent practice.

(7) Personally, I don't favor fat skis for learning. It's much easier to get ski performance out of narrow skis. The basic skis in the typical rental fleet are actually pretty good these days. The right width, the right shape, with a bit of tip and tail early rise to make them nice and mellow. The more expensive "demo" skis are usually fat, might have big rocker, and aren't going to teach good habits--totally unnecessary for the terrain novices will be skiing.
Good stuff but I submit may be over the heads of even the most athletic novice.

To add to your insights -
Watch good hockey players, even low level ones.
Except for standing up, just wheeling around they are always in a flexed athletic position, weight on center or just ahead of center of the blade when skating, turning, stopping.
They are very aware of their skate edges, fore-aft & lateral balance - short blades necessitates that.

Try some snow blades, moving around, skating or skiing. You MUST be very aware of balance, dynamic not static balance, & shin contact / foot awareness need for balance - fore/aft & lateral. Snow blades or short skis necessitate being dynamically balanced & on center.
Skating around a lot on snow blades introduces and teaches not only balance but edge awareness more readily.
The edge performance coming from skating which manipulates edge angles, shift in balance, pressure needed for skiing are being experienced and learned.
Moving, climbing, skidding, hockey stops, wedges teaches foot discipline needed to advance skills.

Why snow blades or very short fat skis should be considered as an ease of learning tool. Of course as the fundamentals are learned or mastered you progress up to longer then ski skill level appropriate length skis.

And 1-1 teaching IMHO is critical - keeping very aware of the student's ability and any limitations.

Instructors & coaches must know to the nano detail of what to do, how to do, in what sequence and in what conditions.

Most novices are focused on not falling, getting hurt, not looking silly - just trying to control their body their equipment in a new 'unnatural' motor function learning environment.
We must transfer our own nano detailed techo knowledge in learnable packets so that the student learns new mortor functions.
Unless they ask and need the anal details to commit to learn & progress, and not an excuse to procrastinate, mask their fear, its best not to overload them. Instead instill good body mechanics by incremental shaping, using appropriate terrrain & by building their confidence.

There are a few very coordinated novices who can learn quickly and advance to a blue run using longer skis but they are very rare.

My 2 bits.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Number one is keep them on flat terrain (green trails only) and either use a slow chairlift or a magic carpet lift. First teach them to go straight and then stop. I think the best way to teach new skiers to turn is skiing around brushes on flat terrain. That helps new skiers keep their eyes forward and center of mass going down hill. Don't let them advance to blue trails until they can confidently turn and stop. I think starting in a wedge is fine, but if you're using brushes the beginner skier will gradually transition almost naturally to a more parallel turn with weight on the outside ski.

I agree in that most people who can skate either on ice or inline, can transition to snow skiing fairly quickly. Water skiers also pick up the sport easier.

TS
C

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While following the other thread I kept thinking “I hope this academy is developing better skilled teachers & not just making better skiers”. Threads like this prove the former, thanks!
Thank you for the kind words. While the Rookie Academy offers certification-track programs for a number of national associations, the particular program I was in was, on the surface, aimed at skiing improvement. However, exposure to master teachers at work should improve the teaching skills of any participant who's paying attention. Becoming a good teacher isn't just about memorizing a few rote progressions. It requires a thorough understanding of fundamental skiing mechanics, developing a good eye for analyzing students' movement patterns, an ability to select exercises, practice, and focuses that will be of the most benefit to students at their current stage of development, and ability to build a good rapport with students. The measured pace at which the coaches built participants' skiing skills made for an especially good opportunity to see and experience the whole process in action, never mind that the coaches weren't explicitly trying to build participants' teaching skills.

TS
C

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
RoninSkier, as you describe them, the advantages that hockey players have in learning skiing are clear. And yes, emulating those skills through practice on snow blades could have great benefits.

However, balancing on snow blades would be quite a challenge for many beginners. And I frankly don't see the benefit of students starting on fat skis. I think it can impair skills development, as absent strong ankle tension and foot tipping movements, newer skiers tend to slip around sideways on them a lot, and have trouble learning to engage the edges and use the ski design to create turns. I'm not referring only to carving. A good skidded or brushed turn also requires edge engagement, and limited, controlled displacement of the paths of tails from tips, even in a beginning wedge turn. When you say "very short" skis, how short do you mean? Do you consider today's typical basic rental ski to fit the bill? It seems to me that the usual early rise in the front, and a bit in the back, makes them quite easy to ski.
Good stuff but I submit may be over the heads of even the most athletic novice.
What aspect of what I said do you think would be over their heads? I was attempting to emphasize the most fundamental points of balance and movement. None of those are especially difficult to perform in isolation. I think it's a question of using appropriate exercises, progressions, and terrain.

4ster

Instructor
However, balancing on snow blades would be quite a challenge for many beginners.
:philgoat:
In the 90’s I worked for a company that owned a quiver of ski areas. During one of our synergy meetings of snowsports managers we experimented with putting a first time beginner student on snowblade type skis. Her first move was to fall on her ass! We scrapped that idea immediately.

10 years later in a different school we had short carving skis that worked great but the minimum length was 110cm. Beginners need a little tip & tail for longitudinal stability.

IMG_3714.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online