• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

School me on Window tint/heat block

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
As others have said, it's all about the installer for a great result. I just had the Llumar IRX ceramic installed and the Air80 clear installed on the windshield. I also used the IRX 50% on the sunroofs. Huge difference in the desert sun. I am very pleased with the product and results.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
I've had good luck with Xpel(one of the more well know clear bra manufacturer). One of their premier line is the Prime XR Plus

Also, if you want to keep out the heat, you should check out some of the threads on the Telsa forums - since they are trying to converse the battery from running the air conditioner too much. Also - you might want to check out tinting the front windshield(at 75% - which is almost indistinguishable from normal clear glass). This way - the whole car/truck will be covered. While it will still get hot if you do let it sit in the sun for an extended period - it won't be just as hot - and it will be much quicker to cool down the car - and maintain that temperature as well.

The Xpel will have a 10 year warranty as well - so if it ever peels, or bubbles, it will be covered.

Not that you ask - but I have a dashmat on all my cars(dashcare.com). It will protects the plastic dash from being sticky and burning hot. I went with the 62 Graphite fabric if you are curious. The other lighter color will create a glare - and I didn't want to go all black since it would be absorbing heat.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
One footnote - I don't know what type of sunroof you have - the traditional sunroof (rectangle over the front seat) or the new panoramic roof. My tint guy for 10+ years, would not install a very dark tint on it - for fear of breaking - since it will be absorbing the heat - and reflecting it back. (the tint is applied on the inside/interior of course). Your mileage may vary - but just something to be aware. Just because it is the sunroof with no state regulations, going with the darkest tint might have adverse consequences.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thanks @trieu I appreciate your info and I did find a lot of good info on the Tesla forum. Steamboat is a very small town so there's only one tinter here so I'm going with his Ceramic product (Solar Gard) . He says it has excellent heat absorption properties and has had excellent results with the product over time. He wont do Sunroof's BTW. He's had issues and says he has enough biz to not deal with them anymore :). He is a very good installer though. I get the front windows done this Friday. I'll post up a couple of pics.

FWIW- he's also giving us a quote on having our south facing windows treated in our home.

Here's the Specs on VortexIR from Solar Gard. very comparative to the other upper end products. He says the VR25 is a near perfect match for the Grand Cherokee

Last edited:

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
Good to hear Ron. Since you are doing your car and the possibility of doing the windows of your house, he can probably give you a good discount if you wanted to do the windshield as well. I think that will ultimately give you the heat rejection that you are looking for. If you are worried about lack of visibility, the installer can cut out a sample 70-75% tint and place it on the windshield for you to "try out" so you can get a feel inside and outside the car.

Lastly, save that warranty card, and put it in a safe place since it will have the film roll #, etc. They need that info in order to submit a claim. The receipt will not have that. Plus you can go to any authorized installer should the existing one is not available anymore - but you will need that warranty card.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I installed my own tint of several cars (and for several others), its not that hard if you have any common sense. However, common sense is not as common as one would think.

That said, all tints fade over time, some less than others. They can be damaged (accidental touch with a ski pole or some such, they can be scratched (dust day and you open the windows). Also they can peel (or bubble) unexpectedly if you get high humidity in the car (ie snow and it melts). Finally some states and provinces have laws that restrict location of tint (it varies a lot) so if you travel budget a ticket or two.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
installer did a fantastic job. Really nicely done and I did a test between felt heat through the windshield vs the front window and difference is pronounced! Looks great too. Having some of our south facing windows in the house done soon. Different product of course but should make a difference in temps and glare. Front window tinted. Now, do I put white caliper covers on?

F844F2B4-E2E1-4EAB-898A-386EB273908A_1_201_a.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now, do I put white caliper covers on?

View attachment 106169
Covers? No. Think about braking going some of these long decents in Colorado...you do NOT was caliper covers, you want as much heat dispersion as you can get. If anything powdercoat them and no, not white, this is not 1984, the monochromatic look is long gone. If anything powdercoat black, or if you must have a color, red.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
If anything powdercoat black, or if you must have a color, red.

the "in" color combo is to match your paint color. less contrast. In fact, there's just the black/red/yellow then all the other options are factory paint codes. The covers will help keep brake dust from messing up your wheels. I most likely will just leave the plain silver color. I didnt think the alloy would retain heat but I guess it could.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the "in" color combo is to match your paint color. less contrast.
Less contrast? White calipers behind black wheels? Can you get any higher contrast that that??? Regarding the brake dust, with better pads, we aren't seeing the near harsh brake dust we saw a decade ago. much easier to get off the wheens now. Plus with a black wheel not nears as previlent as it was on a silver or polished wheel.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
You can also ceramic coat your wheels so you can practically just spray off the brake dust with your hose if you are worried about it.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ok, so I’m not painting or covering them. Lol. And, this Friday I’m getting the clear bra on the front of the jeep door handles and mirrors, and the rest of the car, wheels and windshield in the ceramic coat. At some point I might have the calipers done but there’s no need.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
the "in" color combo is to match your paint color. less contrast. In fact, there's just the black/red/yellow then all the other options are factory paint codes. The covers will help keep brake dust from messing up your wheels. I most likely will just leave the plain silver color. I didnt think the alloy would retain heat but I guess it could.
Powdercoat the caliper fluorescent yellow. They'll really pop against the white body - and they'll match your Laser AXs.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait wait wait wait. Go back about fifteen posts. Ron has unused wine?

Sponsor

Staff online