• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

School me on Window tint/heat block

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I want to add tint to my front windows and sun roof. From what I can tell from the inter web, some tints are better than others, the most common are 3M, Solar Gard & Llumar. Almost all use a ceramic based material. Also, brands have different tints, blue, purple , green or gray. My main objective is to block heat and reduce glare, I dont want a tint that makes the outside look distorted or unnatural. Any suggestions? one local well-regarded tinting company uses Solar Gard,

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went as dark as I could for the Jetta Sunroof to heep the heat out. But we have much more intense sun here than you have. When I had my Legacy wagon...I went with 20% for the front windows IIRC. As far as brands, no idea.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I plan to go dark on the sun roof but am reading that the composition of the tint is more important than the darkness of the film, BTW, by law our limit is 27% I'm not sure of what the factory tint is but from some forum posts, its close to that. Im sure I could go a little darker without any issues. Did you tint your windshield?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Ron - look for high quality ceramic tint (Llumar, 3M or SunTek). No reason to go super dark with better quality film. The hard part is finding a good installer. OEM glass + 35% Ceramic tint will be pretty close to legal limit.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
great! ok, I didnt want really dark so thats good news. the solar Gard has a ceramic film. ill make some calls in the AM

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think any dedicated tint shop worth their salt should have a ceramic offering top of the line option. I wouldnt put too much in worrying over the exact product lines or exact brand.
It is a little like skis, but even more interchangeable. Some shops gonna use 1 supplier others a different one. dont stress too much.
The exact product lines are going to be as much of a difference as compared to the skill of the tech. I would just put faith in the expertise and they should 3bears it for you, heres a cheap, medium, and premium options and which is better.

As far as the law, thats really up to your local how much they are going to let slide. Pretty much all non factory tint in front windows of any high usefulness is not gonna be legal.
But again talk with the shop and they can hint to you on the chances a choice is going to get you in trouble (e.g. "thats probably too dark"). Don't expect or try to push too hard for a direct answer as they can't suggest you to do something illegal or guarentee what the cops will do. you're responsible.
As usual, actual enforement also depends on your charisma and other things of that nature, but thats in the other threads.

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's all about the installer. Ask around locally. If I were forced to pick a brand, it would be 3M.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@raytseng's first para is spot on.
Like you, @Ron, I live in CO. I've tinted the windows in all my vehicles (kinda feel exposed to the world without it), and some are stupid dark. Knock on wood but no problems with mr. law yet.
In fact, the local sheriff made me pull the smoked cover off my rear plate on one car, and never said a word about the obviously illegal tint.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I spoke with a detailer in town I use who is beyond OCD when detailing cars and asked him, he highly recommended a guy in town who does fantastic work. Just got off the phone, he only uses Solar Guard Vortex Ceramic Im going to do the front 2 windows in 25% which he says is a perfect match to Jeep dark tint and it will substantially reduce heat. $120.00. Seems like a fair price.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Don't expect or try to push too hard for a direct answer as they can't suggest you to do something illegal or guarentee what the cops will do. you're responsible.

LOL, he started off the conversation with "technically, just about any tint with the other windows having "dark tint" in a jeep are already illegal so I will install the tint but I dont take any responsibility, its a cash transaction only, no receipt". However, he did say, in over 13 years, he's never had to remove anyones tint here.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
LOL, he started off the conversation with "technically, just about any tint with the other windows having "dark tint" in a jeep are already illegal so I will install the tint but I dont take any responsibility, its a cash transaction only, no receipt". However, he did say, in over 13 years, he's never had to remove anyones tint here.
Maybe you can barter with unused wineogsmile

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Watch your state laws. The maximum allowable tint varies by the state. A reputable shop will know it.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

LoL, Someone told me a story of a Fake ID place back in the day. They would do it up, and they have written on it in pencil "For novelty use only". But before they laminate it, they will put an eraser on the counter and turn around for a minute or so for you to "review" the product.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like the manufacturer's "warning" on some of the modifications on my cars: "For Off-Road Use Only." Riiiight.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My only experience with tinted windows is removing the tinted film from used cars that I purchased because the garage said the cars would not pass inspection.

Sponsor

Staff online