• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Saying Goodbye to My First Ski Partner

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Such a beautiful tribute to a wonderful role model. May the memories of him hold you up and give you peace.

@Philpug I often click my poles behind me as I start off and didn't know where I got it from until I skied with my dad after many years of not skiing with him and watched him do the same thing. Fortunately, he is still alive but I do always think of him when I do it and will forever.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Such a beautiful tribute to a wonderful role model. May the memories of him hold you up and give you peace.

@Philpug I often click my poles behind me as I start off and didn't know where I got it from until I skied with my dad after many years of not skiing with him and watched him do the same thing. Fortunately, he is still alive but I do always think of him when I do it and will forever.

I do the same thing as my CSIA mentor did it. 1/2 the time I don't realize I do it.

A couple of summer's ago I spread some of DH's ashes at points he requested at Tremblant. So he is with me every ski day.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
A lovely and loving tribute. My condolences.

Dad never skied but he was in awe of it, and the fact I could do it relatively capably. His embellished stories of my accomplishments were a source of great entertainment to the family right up until he passed in 2017.

TS
Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I want to say how amazed and how touched I am at the number of people who took time to read this, offer condolences, and share your stories. I Really wish I could just reach out and hug the whole PugSki community right now. Thank you all!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
So sorry for your loss of such a wonderful Dad, I hope your treasured memories help ease your pain and sorrow, he'll always be with you- you have his 'ski genes'..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful post. Sorry for your loss.

My story is similar (see pic to left). Dad is still around, but not skiing. I call him at least once from the chair lift on every single ski trip we take, and thank him for this crazy addiction!

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
So sorry for you loss, I lost my dad many years ago and still fell he is with me , the memories that I have of him and our ski experience definitely shaped my life . On what would have been his 100 Birthday, I went skiing that day just to honor him and feel that connection that we have.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So sorry for your loss. I lost my dad over 16 years ago, but like you have very fond memories of him as well as of the no frills family ski trips. I was able to re-create one of these with my family several years back. We drove to Banff a stayed in the same hotel (The Douglas Fir on Tunnel Mountain) that I had stayed in as a child. This place had not changed one bit in over 30 years - complete with the carpets linens and décor - and that brought back so many wonderful memories. Every time I take my children on a ski trip or even just to out local hill I remember my father and doing the same with him. Your tribute to your father was lovely and made me think of mine. They may both be gone but the memories they created for us and their spirits lives on.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I never experienced grief until my Dad passed away. Perhaps the more lost you feel is a marvelous indicator of a very unique Father and Son relationship. Just be glad you had him in your life, I know of friends who could have cared less when the father died, and, that always astounded me. In his eulogy, my first line was " I feel orphaned at 50". He never skied, but, if I had one wish granted, we would play another round of golf.

May he RIP.
I feel like the deeper the footprint on your heard, the deeper you feel the grief.
We often say that we should celebrate the life and not shed tears, but I am a firm believer that we celebrate the life but also need to honor that footprint on the heart whether its with laughter or tears or both.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I want to say how amazed and how touched I am at the number of people who took time to read this, offer condolences, and share your stories. I Really wish I could just reach out and hug the whole PugSki community right now. Thank you all!

No, thank-you Chris. Thanks for sharing this with us. Thanks for making me think about my Dad, he never skied but his life is devoted to his family. The fun we've had together would fill a book. Pugski often feels like family to me.

Condolences.

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
Chris, our love goes to you, your family and to your Pops. Remember, he will always be with you, more than likely matching your turns. Hugs Chris, from us crazy Albas. There is nothing like skiing as a family and those memories your dad created with you, will be treasured moments forever.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. My Dad is the one who introduced skiing to my family, first to my Mom, and then starting my brother and I when we were about 4. We lost him two years ago (though he had stopped skiing 25+ years prior), and I know that he's resting happy knowing how much joy skiing brings to me and my brother.

Sponsor

Staff online