• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Saying Goodbye to My First Ski Partner

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I wouldn't be a skier if not for my pops. It was pretty unlikely for me to become a skier in the first place, growing up in Ohio. But my dad, who grew up in LA taking weekend trips to Big Bear with his sisters, and who taught my mom to ski in Lake Tahoe when they were both studying at Berkeley, brought his love for alpine culture to the flat and snowless reaches of southwest Ohio. He put me and my sister into ski boots when we could barely walk, and thus was born an unorthodox winter family ritual.

In addition to the local bump which we would frequent, our family always took several ski trips a year. They were never elaborate, but always memorable. I remember him driving the rented mini-van up to Boyne Mt. Michigan in an ice storm that left the highways in a sheet of glare ice and he had to pry his fingers from the steering wheel when we got there. I remember the transmission falling out of our old Chevy as we neared Seven springs, PA. My mom, my sister and I rode the last mile freezing in the back of a pickup truck driven by a couple drunken Good Samaritan cowboys while my dad arranged a tow for the car. I remember driving through the night the next year in our new Subaru to get to Snowshoe, West Virginia in a whiteout blizzard.

In high school they would send me to race camps in Oregon, even though neither our economic stratum nor my skill level justified such an extravagance. When my sister went to college in New England, we would meet her in Vermont to ski. When I moved to Colorado, my parents, sometimes with my sister in tow, would come out once or twice a year, and we would ski. Skiing was just a cornerstone of our family, and it's no wonder I ended up in Colorado. I'll always treasure that.

Even though he had slowed down in recent years and hadn't skied in a couple years, he would still come to the resorts with my family and snowshoe or just sit with a book and a cup of good coffee and soak in the view. He said he just liked the atmosphere.

Pop lost a brief battle with a very aggressive and fast-moving blood cancer yesterday. I am really going to miss him.

Thanks, dad, for this gift of a love of skiing. Every time I click in, you will be with me.

pop.jpg

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you for sharing...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Your tribute to your dad is beautiful and I'm glad he taught you to share his passion for skiing.
Thanks, dad, for this gift of a love of skiing. Every time I click in, you will be with me.
@Chris Walker Peace and love to you and your family.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My condolences. You were lucky to have a dad that did that for you. A taste of adventure and love of a lifetime sport is a great gift.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful. I had similar family experiences built around skiing and your tribute brought back fond memories of my own late parents. Your Dad would be proud. One of my most powerful thoughts when my Dad passed away was, "who do I answer to now?"

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
My first skiing experience, standing on the toes of my dad's boots in beartrap bindings in 1945, hooked me on the sport forever. He had polio a couple years later so we never skied together after I learned to slide on my own equipment. But, BOY, do I remember going after wild raspberries in the summer!!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I never experienced grief until my Dad passed away. Perhaps the more lost you feel is a marvelous indicator of a very unique Father and Son relationship. Just be glad you had him in your life, I know of friends who could have cared less when the father died, and, that always astounded me. In his eulogy, my first line was " I feel orphaned at 50". He never skied, but, if I had one wish granted, we would play another round of golf.

May he RIP.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorry to hear that. Very sweet post.

Reminded me of the car thing going skiing. Years ago cars were much more problematic. I remember breaking down on I think I89 and riding in the tow truck. Then the chain wrapping around the axle and nearly iding off a steep enbankment. It was all fun for the kids. We walked through the snow to the rentsl. What a nightmare for parents though. Calling tow trucks, unloading the car, waiting till the next day for the truck to show up, getting kids to the mt. So much effort parents make.
Thanks for the post, sorry for your loss.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
So sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing such a beautiful tribute.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January