• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rustler 9 vs ? - ski advice for intermediate-advanced skier

Apochromat

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone!

First of all, let me just say that Pugski is a great forum, I've lurked around here for some time now.
Now I'm looking to buy a new pair of "do-it-all" skis, and I'm getting confused by the multitude of options so I come here for some advice.

Background:

Mid/late 20s, 178 cm (5'10") ~75 kg (165 lbs). I have been skiing since I was a child. Due to location, most seasons have only skied for 1-1.5 weeks, but during this year I've caught the bug quite bad!
Per season, I would typically ski one week in the Alps plus some shorter stays at smaller hills closer to home in Scandinavia (Sweden or Finland, e.g. Åre or Ylläs).
I've been brought up on groomers, I would say that my carving ability as well as general stance is good. I have no problems with steep black runs or ice. I am not the most "charger-y" skier, but I would still say that I'm at the faster end.
I still am not that confident in black mogul runs. If the moguls are more loosely spaced, I don't have any issues. I'm quite inexperienced at skiing in deeper snow. All in all, I'd guess I'm intermediate-advanced? Anyway, mogul and offpiste skills are something I'm hoping to improve.

I don't think moguls will ever be my favorite, especially since I've had a past knee injury that can flare up if they take a shock while in the wrong position.I've had some good experiences in powder, and I would like to ski more offpiste, but I've always felt limited by my choice of ski (as well as technique to some extent).

The group of friends with whom I go skiing nowadays are more offpiste-focused than I have been previously, which has been quite fun. Realistically, I would still ski closer to 80% groomed runs even when skiing with this group.

Previous skis:

I've mostly used my "first adult" skis, 2009 Head Xenon Xi 10.0 163 cm, during the last 10 years, so I'm really overdue for an upgrade.

As far as I can tell, these were marketed as "advanced" (reading between the lines I think this means intermediate)
all-mountain skis with a short turn radius (~13 m) and low weight (can't find spec). More or less recreation-oriented SL-type skis with a wide shovel.
I have really outgrown these skis. The last time I rode them I easily overpowered them, and they felt quite short. Even though I've outgrown these skis, I enjoyed their energy and ability to make tight, clean carves.

Last two years I've rented skis as well:

2 days on HEAD WC Rebels iShape Pro (can't remember if 165 or 170 cm, probably 170)

Very nice turn initiation and rebound, I could get very good turn-to-turn flow on hard snow.
The tail was stiffer than I was used to, this caused me some trouble especially in the afternoons when the slopes were moguled up a bit.
Also, the tips were prone to submarining instead of plowing through piled up snow. I didn't try them in proper moguls or in deeper snow (nor would I want to).

1 week on 2017 Rossignol Experience 84 HD, 178 cm (Not the newer 2018- version):

Generally quite nice skis, but these didn't wow me, even though I think using them improved my technique. Turn initiation took a bit more input than the Head iShape, but rebound was good. Not too stiff, but not overly soft either.
They preferred a longer turn shape than my previous skis, but the change wasn't too drastic. Pivoting in trees was not an issue.
I also took these skis into deeper snow, but the tips really wanted to hook up and submarine, so I had to lean back and avoid edging too much. Not a very nice experience.

I'm looking to buy one pair of skis, and rent other skis as needed (e.g. for deeper snow or carving-only days).
Thus these skis should be suitable for ~80/20 on/offpiste, with ability to carve confidently but not be too demanding.

These are some skis I'm considering:

Blizzard Rustler 9 (180 cm?)
Most accounts of the Rustler 9 make it sound perfect for me, with an ability to carve (short-medium turns) while still being forgiving in non-corduroy conditions. I've been quite close to pulling the trigger on these.
Some reviews say that they are similar to the QST 92s, which makes me a bit hesitant, since my understanding is that the QSTs aren't very interesting on-piste.

Blizzard Bushwacker/Brahma (173/180 cm?)
I keep reading reviews that alternate between scaring me away from the Brahma, while others describe it as an good 70/30 ski for intermediate-advanced skiers. Other reviews encourage "most skiers" to choose the Bushwacker over the Brahma. The shape and good reputation of these skis is attracting. Any advice here?

PS. Is the Bushwacker the same ski as the Black Pearl 88 with a different topsheet?

K2 Mindbender 90 Ti (170/177 cm?)
This new series seems to be getting a lot of praise, including on pugski. In principle, I like the idea of the more playful tail while being a a bit heavier ski otherwise.

Nordica Enforcer 93 (177 cm?)
Lots of praise for this ski, probably the heaviest on this list (but not stiffest). Longer turn radius.

I'm of course also open to other suggestions, what do you think? Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm set with boots, Lange SX100. No complaints, although I think I could have gone a bit stiffer.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I would strongly look at the versatile Nordica Enforcer 88 (one of my favorite skis) or the Liberty E90; more challenging might be the Blizzard Brahma 88, Head Monster 88, and Volkl Kendo 88; you could also go expensive high-end with an Augment 88, Stockli Storm 88, or a Kastle MX89.

TS
Apochromat

Apochromat

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for this advice! So I take it a ~88 mm ski would be preferable to a 90-something for my use-case? Looking at Blisterreviews, the Enforcer 88 seems to have an even stiffer tail than the Brahma, but it should still be an easier ski?

Unfortunately, it seems that I can't easily get my hands on Liberty skis in Europe. I think I would rather stay away from the high-end segment and spend that money on ski days instead ;)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most accounts of the Rustler 9 make it sound perfect for me, with an ability to carve (short-medium turns) while still being forgiving in non-corduroy conditions.

Sometimes your first instinct is worth following. I only have a few runs on this ski, as a demo, but it's super fun - quick but not harsh -'and does seem to fit your use case.

It's probably worth noting that length is your friend in soft snow, so going from a 163 to something in the 180 range is going to help all by itself. But at your weight I would stay on the softer side of the flex range, if you're going that long. For example, the Brahma 180 might be too much. Good luck!

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking at Blisterreviews, the Enforcer 88 seems to have an even stiffer tail than the Brahma, but it should still be an easier ski?

You bring up a very interesting point regarding reviews and measurements. Similar to this, I received advice for the Enforcer as “lighter than the Völkl Kendo”, for example, even though the measurements clearly show they are heavier on a scale. My guess is that how a ski measures (stiffness, weight etc) is different from how it feels and performs when actually on snow.
I’ll see if my take changes once I actually put my Enforcers on snow.

TS
Apochromat

Apochromat

Booting up
Skier
Sometimes your first instinct is worth following. I only have a few runs on this ski, as a demo, but it's super fun - quick but not harsh -'and does seem to fit your use case.

It's probably worth noting that length is your friend in soft snow, so going from a 163 to something in the 180 range is going to help all by itself. But at your weight I would stay on the softer side of the flex range, if you're going that long. For example, the Brahma 180 might be too much. Good luck!

Thank you! I am leaning more and more towards the Rustler 9 in 180 cm. I don't think I would dare to go so long with the stiffer skis.

You bring up a very interesting point regarding reviews and measurements. Similar to this, I received advice for the Enforcer as “lighter than the Völkl Kendo”, for example, even though the measurements clearly show they are heavier on a scale. My guess is that how a ski measures (stiffness, weight etc) is different from how it feels and performs when actually on snow.
I’ll see if my take changes once I actually put my Enforcers on snow.

Yes, this is definitely interesting! I guess nothing really beats demoing skis in person. Have fun with the Enforcers :)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think you’d enjoy the Rustler 9 180cm for your use. Was my daily driver last year and does very well everywhere and won’t have the “tip hooking” issues you’ve had with other skis. Very fun in bumps and off piste so you may be trying both more once you have an easy ski for those places. Found it quite fun and playful even on piste.

I’m 6’2”/175 and found I wanted a longer and heavier ski for my conditions and skiing style so I have the 185cm Enforcer 93 now. A more serious and less playful ski but it does have better edge grip and with the heavier weight, it’s better through heavy crud which is common at my local resorts. The 177cm version for you you would still have better edge grip and crud capability but not as forgiving as the Rustler would be. Rustler are a good mix of solid underfoot and forgiving tip/tail and punch above their weight off piste.

The Enforcer 88 is even stiffer then the E93 but with the new tip/tail construction Nordica uses in the 88 and 104 free, the swing weight is lower so they ski lighter than they are. Think the “swing weight being lighter than the Kendo” is what the person talking to @rocdoc meant even with the actual weight being heavier. The more forward mount on the E88 would also make it feel lighter on it’s feet.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello everyone!

First of all, let me just say that Pugski is a great forum, I've lurked around here for some time now.
Now I'm looking to buy a new pair of "do-it-all" skis, and I'm getting confused by the multitude of options so I come here for some advice.

Background:

Mid/late 20s, 178 cm (5'10") ~75 kg (165 lbs). I have been skiing since I was a child. Due to location, most seasons have only skied for 1-1.5 weeks, but during this year I've caught the bug quite bad!
Per season, I would typically ski one week in the Alps plus some shorter stays at smaller hills closer to home in Scandinavia (Sweden or Finland, e.g. Åre or Ylläs).
I've been brought up on groomers, I would say that my carving ability as well as general stance is good. I have no problems with steep black runs or ice. I am not the most "charger-y" skier, but I would still say that I'm at the faster end.
I still am not that confident in black mogul runs. If the moguls are more loosely spaced, I don't have any issues. I'm quite inexperienced at skiing in deeper snow. All in all, I'd guess I'm intermediate-advanced? Anyway, mogul and offpiste skills are something I'm hoping to improve.

I don't think moguls will ever be my favorite, especially since I've had a past knee injury that can flare up if they take a shock while in the wrong position.I've had some good experiences in powder, and I would like to ski more offpiste, but I've always felt limited by my choice of ski (as well as technique to some extent).

The group of friends with whom I go skiing nowadays are more offpiste-focused than I have been previously, which has been quite fun. Realistically, I would still ski closer to 80% groomed runs even when skiing with this group.

Previous skis:

I've mostly used my "first adult" skis, 2009 Head Xenon Xi 10.0 163 cm, during the last 10 years, so I'm really overdue for an upgrade.

As far as I can tell, these were marketed as "advanced" (reading between the lines I think this means intermediate)
all-mountain skis with a short turn radius (~13 m) and low weight (can't find spec). More or less recreation-oriented SL-type skis with a wide shovel.
I have really outgrown these skis. The last time I rode them I easily overpowered them, and they felt quite short. Even though I've outgrown these skis, I enjoyed their energy and ability to make tight, clean carves.

Last two years I've rented skis as well:

2 days on HEAD WC Rebels iShape Pro (can't remember if 165 or 170 cm, probably 170)

Very nice turn initiation and rebound, I could get very good turn-to-turn flow on hard snow.
The tail was stiffer than I was used to, this caused me some trouble especially in the afternoons when the slopes were moguled up a bit.
Also, the tips were prone to submarining instead of plowing through piled up snow. I didn't try them in proper moguls or in deeper snow (nor would I want to).

1 week on 2017 Rossignol Experience 84 HD, 178 cm (Not the newer 2018- version):

Generally quite nice skis, but these didn't wow me, even though I think using them improved my technique. Turn initiation took a bit more input than the Head iShape, but rebound was good. Not too stiff, but not overly soft either.
They preferred a longer turn shape than my previous skis, but the change wasn't too drastic. Pivoting in trees was not an issue.
I also took these skis into deeper snow, but the tips really wanted to hook up and submarine, so I had to lean back and avoid edging too much. Not a very nice experience.

I'm looking to buy one pair of skis, and rent other skis as needed (e.g. for deeper snow or carving-only days).
Thus these skis should be suitable for ~80/20 on/offpiste, with ability to carve confidently but not be too demanding.

These are some skis I'm considering:

Most accounts of the Rustler 9 make it sound perfect for me, with an ability to carve (short-medium turns) while still being forgiving in non-corduroy conditions. I've been quite close to pulling the trigger on these.
Some reviews say that they are similar to the QST 92s, which makes me a bit hesitant, since my understanding is that the QSTs aren't very interesting on-piste.

Blizzard Bushwacker/Brahma (173/180 cm?)
I keep reading reviews that alternate between scaring me away from the Brahma, while others describe it as an good 70/30 ski for intermediate-advanced skiers. Other reviews encourage "most skiers" to choose the Bushwacker over the Brahma. The shape and good reputation of these skis is attracting. Any advice here?

PS. Is the Bushwacker the same ski as the Black Pearl 88 with a different topsheet?

K2 Mindbender 90 Ti (170/177 cm?)
This new series seems to be getting a lot of praise, including on pugski. In principle, I like the idea of the more playful tail while being a a bit heavier ski otherwise.

Nordica Enforcer 93 (177 cm?)
Lots of praise for this ski, probably the heaviest on this list (but not stiffest). Longer turn radius.

I'm of course also open to other suggestions, what do you think? Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm set with boots, Lange SX100. No complaints, although I think I could have gone a bit stiffer.

Not on the list but I think you will LOVE the Liberty Evolv90 in 179cm. Easy to ski but very capable. A delight in bumps and off trail while being really enjoyable on groomers. This was one of the most balanced skis I have demoed in the past few years. Large sweet spot. They felt dialed.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Evolve 90, Rustler 9, Kore 93.....

Don't go the 'strong 88' route as suggested above a la the Monster, MX89, etc... while great skis, at your height, weight, and ski set, you'd be better served by something a bit more mellow, fun, and still provides a platform for developing your skill sets.

TS
Apochromat

Apochromat

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all, this advice has been really helpful! In the end, this was a battle between the Enforcer 93 and Rustler 9 (reading Phil's cage match comparison was also helpful). The Liberty skis I couldn't really find in Europe.

I'm now placing an order for the Rustler 9 in 180 cm (could find them for a great price) + Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW (also after seeing them recommended on this forum). I look forward to trying them out in all kinds of terrain, I'll be sure to report back then!

I'm sure that e.g. the Enforcer 88 would be a very fun ski, but at this point I lean more towards an easier ski. If the Rustler 9 turns out not to be to my liking for on-piste use, I'll simply have to add another ski to the quiver (and so it begins...?)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you all, this advice has been really helpful! In the end, this was a battle between the Enforcer 93 and Rustler 9 (reading Phil's cage match comparison was also helpful). The Liberty skis I couldn't really find in Europe.

I'm now placing an order for the Rustler 9 in 180 cm (could find them for a great price) + Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW (also after seeing them recommended on this forum). I look forward to trying them out in all kinds of terrain, I'll be sure to report back then!

I'm sure that e.g. the Enforcer 88 would be a very fun ski, but at this point I lean more towards an easier ski. If the Rustler 9 turns out not to be to my liking for on-piste use, I'll simply have to add another ski to the quiver (and so it begins...?)

Good choice! Congrats! And welcome to the forum! Finland is a country I long to visit.

TS
Apochromat

Apochromat

Booting up
Skier
Me too, and are flying up there on Tuesday, but unfortunately without skis :-(

Well, in the south we're still in the middle of autumn, the trees have lovely colors! Up in Lapland, the first snow has fallen, some ski resorts already have a couple slopes open.

We need mountains here - the one thing we really need :)

Yes, desperately. And especially in Denmark :)

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, in the south we're still in the middle of autumn, the trees have lovely colors! Up in Lapland, the first snow has fallen, some ski resorts already have a couple slopes open.

Yes, desperately. And especially in Denmark :)
Highest point in DK - Do i need to say more? ;-)
storebelt.jpg

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm now placing an order for the Rustler 9 in 180 cm...
I'm 5'10", 170 lbs, advanced. I demo'd the Rustler 9's in 2018, and they were a lot of fun on everything from firm AM groomers through deep soft corn. Playful, responsive, held an edge well, felt great at any speed I care to travel... I very nearly bought them on the spot.

Harder-charging skis like the Monster 88 take more energy than I want to have to constantly expend all day long, and I suspect that fighting them would have hindered my skills development. I think you made the right choice.

Sponsor