• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rustler 9 vs ? - ski advice for intermediate-advanced skier

TS
Apochromat

Apochromat

Booting up
Skier
I'm 5'10", 170 lbs, advanced. I demo'd the Rustler 9's in 2018, and they were a lot of fun on everything from firm AM groomers through deep soft corn. Playful, responsive, held an edge well, felt great at any speed I care to travel... I very nearly bought them on the spot.

Harder-charging skis like the Monster 88 take more energy than I want to have to constantly expend all day long, and I suspect that fighting them would have hindered my skills development. I think you made the right choice.

Thanks, this makes me even more hyped for the upcoming season! :D

TS
Apochromat

Apochromat

Booting up
Skier
Hello all, after 6 days skiing I'm back to give a small report. Overall, I'm very pleased with the Rustler 9 in 180 cm.

They carve nicely, with a natural turn initiation that still doesn't pull you too hard into the turn. The tails are easy to release, and overall they feel quite accessible. On the small amount of (wind-blown) powder I've had access to, they felt really lovely, with more planing/floating ability than I'm used to.

I've definitively noticed that they like being on edge, at higher speeds and flat bases they become quite squirrelly. This is alleviated by keeping just a slight edge. Also, the width is noticeable on hard ice, the edge grip is not as good as I'm used to with skinnier skis. Finally, they are somewhat light, and consolidated snow in the afternoons means that you have to adapt your skiing style; instead of plowing through the snow piles, you have to either go over or around.

Once again, thanks for the help in picking these skis everyone!