• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road Cycling Shorts

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My cycling shorts are near end-of-life, so, time to purchase some new ones. So, what advice does the Pugski cycling community have on what brand or specific model to buy. Also, any interesting deals on-line? Most of my riding is under 30 miles, comfort and good padding would rate high on my want list. I've used both bib and traditional shorts, maybe a slight preference to bigs, but, I'm open.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Don't have any specific brands..but they're worth the investment. Good quality is worth it in this case. I like bibs too because they don't ride down as much but they can be awkward at times. Castelli, Assos..good stuff. I mostly use Zoic baggy shorts for all my riding, mostly just to drive roadies nuts.. :roflmao:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After many pairs of cheaper shorts, I sprang for a pair of Pearl Izumi's. (on sale of course) What a difference. Why didn't I get them years ago? Well , I know why, I am a cheapskate.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear mostly Pearl Izumi but really because I get major discount coupons twice per year from a friend that is a fit model for them. Unfortunately the bib leg lengths are mostly too long for my short legs so I don't wear bibs.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My two favorites are both Capo. One is a pair of bibs that I bought at Mike's Bikes, the other pair is just shorts ordered when entering a gran fondo. Those, unfortunately, have seen better days and need to be replaced soon. I order on-line sometimes, but that's hit or miss. I prefer to try on before I buy.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Have only ridden with bibs since about 1992. Try competitive cyclist for great pricing and service if you don't use your local bike shop (which you should if at all possible) . They're happy to talk on the phone as well if needed.

Have mostly Pearl Izumi bibs (mid-range) and a couple others like Sugoi (size up one) and some cold weather tights from Santini (runs small). All seem to wear well, are comfy, etc... They never see a dryer and are washed in a garment bag on gentle. Worst ever bibs where some Campy ones when they branded clothing.... junk.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My cycling shorts are near end-of-life, so, time to purchase some new ones. So, what advice does the Pugski cycling community have on what brand or specific model to buy. Also, any interesting deals on-line? Most of my riding is under 30 miles, comfort and good padding would rate high on my want list. I've used both bib and traditional shorts, maybe a slight preference to bigs, but, I'm open.

Even if your ass isn't Italian, your shorts should be. Lots of stuff they have no clue about. (Desserts, for example, not counting gelato.) But bike shorts they have mastered like no one else. I like Giordana and Santini. Giordana Silverline is affordable on sale. Second choice, Louis Garneau from Quebec. See photo. Backdrop extra.

FB_IMG_1530583137807.jpg

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've tried various brands... Louis Garneau (sp?), Giordanna, Castelli, and Pearl Izumi come to mind. The fit of Louis and Giordanna didn't work with my ass, but PI and Castelli (doable on sale) works for me. PI seems to have a thicker chamois than Castelli does, so I prefer PI in early season before my ass is broken in.

I have a feeling that brand preference largely comes down to fit.

I resisted going to bib shorts for a long long time, but when I finally switched, there was no going back. They're worth the extra money over regular shorts, especially over longer rides.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Thanks to the Pugski cycling group for all your thoughts.

Ordered Pear Izumi Elite Bibs from Competitive Cyclist at a very attractive discount and free shipping.

Even if your ass isn't Italian, your shorts should be.

View attachment 48693

The man has a way with words! LOL My ass is not Italian, but, my kids are 50% Italian...does that get me close enough? Nest pair will be in accordance with your advice. PS Loved your Tour of France.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
so what is the difference between mtb shorts and road shorts...other than most mtb shorts being baggies?

I am also thinking about spending $$ for a good brand but will use for both.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to the Pugski cycling group for all your thoughts.

Ordered Pear Izumi Elite Bibs from Competitive Cyclist at a very attractive discount and free shipping.

My dad does a ton of cycling and just had me order a pair of these on my most recent discount code because he likes them quite a bit. Hope they work for you.

scott43

Skier
so what is the difference between mtb shorts and road shorts...other than most mtb shorts being baggies?

Basically, mtb shorts have pockets that can store junk. And they have 2 layers of fabric so they can be hotter. OTOH, you can crash in them and usually not worry about your junk hanging out.. :D And they aren't usually bibs. Having said that, there's no reason you can't use road shorts off-road..I do it especially when it's very wet because they don't hold water. I'm using a couple of pairs of these currently and they're decent baggy shorts, liner is good.
https://zoic.com/mens-mountain-bike-clothing/bottoms/bike-shorts/Black-market-short

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

The MTB crowd and industry have been distancing themselves gradually from what are now thought of as "roadie" shorts over the last fifteen years, to the point where it's really only at an XC race where you see more than a small minority of riders in Lycra. IMO it's almost entirely a fashion thing rather than a function thing. Mfrs. make money from selling riders separate kits for road and MTB. Male MTB riders, especially, seem more comfortable with the look of baggies, for a variety of complex psycho-social reasons.

For me baggies are a big PITA and I regret the change. I have enough trouble finding Lycra shorts that I like without also worrying about finding something that fits to wear OVER them. You put a typical pair of baggies on me and I look like I'm about nine. Ridiculous. Plus they're that much hotter.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me baggies are a big PITA and I regret the change. I have enough trouble finding Lycra shorts that I like without also worrying about finding something that fits to wear OVER them. You put a typical pair of baggies on me and I look like I'm about nine. Ridiculous. Plus they're that much hotter.

Then why on earth would you wear them? Wear what you want. I wore black wool or lyrcra shorts for 45 years of cycling, and still wear them on all bikes today. My shorts only have to please me and my privates, anyone who is opposed to that is not worth worrying about.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's interesting that people are saying mtb shorts are hotter. I typically run hot and try to avoid anything that will make me hotter but I don't find baggies over liner shorts to be hotter. My liner shorts are lighter weight than my road shorts and air does get into/out of the the space between the liner and baggies so maybe that's why?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Then why on earth would you wear them?

I don't. I wear the roadie stuff. But I'm increasingly aware of having added yet another very visible piece to my stock of odd duck evidence, in a way that wasn't true when a lot more MTBers were wearing lycra.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
@Tony S I don't think that women are more pro-lycra, I think it's funny how they will be wearing yoga pants before and after the ride, but can't wear lycra shorts during because that is too revealing.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January