• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ridiculous Excuses for Gear Purchases..

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The pair I had was bad Bad Bad, the factory tune was horrible in a where's the edge way; the longitudinal flex was too stiff at the ends and too soft in the middle. Slow bases that barely take wax. Be prepared to spend some quality tuning time on those, and it won't surprise me if you wind up remounting as far back as 3cm from the line.

They probably come de-tuned for park. You don't want a grabby ski on a box. Stiff on ends and soft in the middle sounds about right for a symmetrical park ski. NewSchoolers seem to like them for Slopestyle and Big Air. I'll tune them like a bump ski and mount then -2 and see how that goes. Could they possibly be stiffer than my 185 cm race stock Lab GS? If they are, you're right, I'll hate them. If they are about the same but ski a little shorter due to being a twin I'll probably be OK with them.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'm not much on 1 piece ski suits but I saw this guy today in a snow storm sporting a florescent lime green one. He looked fast standing in line. Dang.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I broke even at the swap by tossing in some Rossi Axials. Good luck.
Dang, did you pay more than $100 for the skis? I'd think the bindings would fetch $50 at the swap all by themselves. Next excuse.. bought terrible ski just to see if I can learn to ski them and make them look like a good ski?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Because I wanted the bindings off of them?

I just dropped $16.00 in these mostly to get the binding SCREWS! Have a pair of 900s with risers on GSRs. Plan to move them to the new twin tips but mount then FLAT. Didn't want to have to wait on Terry to send me screws or have to bother grinding down the LOOOOOng screws on the GSRs.. Put these 977s on the old beat GSRs to keep them skiable a little longer=BONUS Sweet looking poles=BONUS.. but ,main reason to buy was to get a set of shorter binding screws quickly..

Skis will go on the fence unless someone wants them badly enough to send me a box with a return mailer postage sticker quickly. They are 204s, and I have zero interest in skiing them..

WP_20160526_001.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK got the $100 skis today. Like PJ's they are a little base high.
WP_20160527_003.jpg

Yes tuning gear Nazis that is not an actual true bar.
Will deal with that another day.
Marked and drilled at -2, too chicken to try them dead center.
WP_20160527_001.jpg

Bent the crap out of the brakes to make them fit.
WP_20160527_002.jpg

DOH had right and left swapped for the finished photo. Oh well, will probably ski them that way too.

I was a bit nervous about getting the 185 as I'm easing back to less demanding skis with age. These 185s are shorter than my Lab GS 185 even with the tail. Almost as short as my twin PE 179s so that should be OK. Might leave the base high tune. I still suspect that was intentional for rails and boxes.

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, when the skis arrived I decided that I wanted ANOTHER jacket to go with them., Another jacket on the way:roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, when the skis arrived I decided that I wanted ANOTHER jacket to go with them., Another jacket on the way:roflmao:

I first read this as "the skis decided that they wanted another jacket to go with them"

.. I think that's about right.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So it all started when I came to grips with retiring a black/blue/grey jacket from the 90s from heavy duty due use to sleeve cuff elastic failing. I got this:
s-l500.jpg

Then, I realized that only my retro skis matched that retro jacket and the new one so I got these.. and some bindings and poles from thrift store score.

13255919_1305505326131669_3989480091116556472_n.jpg

Hey, those would also look good with a green jacket! Humm, this should work!
s-l1600.jpg

Got plenty of black pants, but humm no white pants. Humm, these should work..

s-l1600.jpg

Also got some gray pants for the blue jacket, gloves and mittens.

Can't even really remember why I got the orange and gray Salomon jacket couple posts up other than ridiculous crazy low price and also goes with the new gray pants. Dark enough orange to pass for dark red too I guess Oh ya, got it to go with the Elan M999s that I've only been able to ski once in three years. Not much need for anything over 90mm underfoot around here.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online