• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
I'm heading out to Revelstoke on Christmas Day (no family and sweet business class frequent flyer deals!) and staying through Jan 6th.

Wondering if there are any locals to that area on here - as I'm solo it would be cool to meet up with someone for some backcountry just off the resort, or just around the resort.

Local tips? Staying in town and not at resort.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Hope you enjoy your trip…I’ll be elsewhere that time but pretty sure you’ll love Revy.

Revy tips:

On hill: Both Rockford and Mackenzie are good places for food/drinks/après…can get really busy at both.

In town: Food/drinks/après: River city pub in the Regent Hotel, Village Idiot or Craft bierhaus all have good atmo and food/drinks. Last Drop Pub in the Powder Springs hotel can be fun too…

Aquatic center: is a fun place to get some soaking in…hot tub/sauna/waterslide/lazy floating river/climbing wall where you drop into the water after getting to top…water basketball.

Skiing:
Inbounds: Revy has some of the best tree skiing around. FYI: Revy can also have BIG tree wells…December may not be as bad yet (depends on the year) for that but just be aware.

Where you ski will depend on conditions - what’s open. Revy’s a place where the low mountain can be “variable” depending on time of year…if it’s too warm…coverage…icy…etc. If it’s that way then stay high (Stoke and/or Ripper Chairs)

Assuming conditions are good…Advanced skier:

Frontside: kill the banker for a leg killer pillow drops frontside workout. (head into conifers of gnarnia too)

Ripper: glades left or right are great – watch your speed first few runs as you explore…as in certain places/lines there are a few small rollers/drop offs in there that can sneak up on you.

Stoke: Again glades left or right are great. Separate reality is fantastic if condition are good - as are the runs off vertigo ridge. South bowl runs/glade areas are bigtime in good snow. From Devil’s all the way over to Jalapeno. Also don’t miss taking Stoke and going up and over (Lemming Line…assuming it’s open) into the doubles into North bowl assault/drop in/ etc. and father down the ridge… sweetspot/ meet the neighbors/ etc.)

Enjoy!

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
A few friends have been pressuring me to join them in an Air Bnb in Revelstoke for new years. I haven't committed yet, but I will let you know if I am in town.... I invested a lot of money in a Kicking Horse/Fernie/Louise pass, so I am trying not to spend too much on other lift tickets.

If I don't join them, there is a good chance that I will be in Golden skiing Kicking Horse and Rogers pass. Could probably meet for BC laps.

TS
G

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys really appreciate the tips and thoughts. Will definitely be on high alert for tree wells.

Seems like a decent base with -3 days till opening?...any insight into how this is comparing to years past?

What's the traverse like out to skiers right from the top of Stoke Chair? Is this the cat-skiing area for the resort just out of bounds from there? Is it a friendly vibe for people skinning/traversing out, or more hostile? It seems like there's some cat tracks around there to shoot you back in-bounds?

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
Average start in the alpine, less below treeline.

Skiers right (left off the chair) is the lemming line that takes you to the north bowl, greely area. inbounds.

I think you mean skiers left towards montana bowl. That was the cat skiing area. They've since discontinued running the cats. Presumably because the terrain is often skied out from people hiking out of bounds. Instead they have partnered with Great Northern for day-cat skiing off site.

They are advertising guided ski touring in this area now. I suspect with a guide you will get much further out from the resort than most skiers traverse. Probably worthwhile your first day to get your bearings.

If you're exploring on your own, Don't miss the return track, many people do. Ski Jalepeno along the boundary line first then take the ninja traverse back to the stoke chair. Then start working your way further out, there will be lots of other people doing the same.

TS
G

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
I think you mean skiers left towards montana bowl.

Doh! Exactly what I meant, thanks.

If you're exploring on your own, Don't miss the return track, many people do. Ski Jalepeno along the boundary line first then take the ninja traverse back to the stoke chair.

Perfect advice. Thank you!

What's the travel like to/from Montana? Will definitely look into the guided day. Love skiing with someone who knows a new mountain to me.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
The route will be well defined, often has a line of people headed out that way. There is one significant avalanche path that you cross quite quickly after leaving the resort. It's the mellowest and safest terrain otherwise.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was at Revelstoke yesterday.

It was the first day for upper North Bowl/Greely Bowl....it opened around 10AM.

The North Bowl was very, very, good. I was in the bookpack line at opening and got a fresh line in Greeley.

I skied Gracias Ridge variations for other laps. Excellent coverage...light snow.

The trees below North Bowl were also very good. The creek is open in places, and it is better to avoid it if possible.

We skied north from 10 until close (which is pretty early this time of year). A skip lunch type of day.

Other parts of the upper mountain had good coverage but the snow was only okay. It seems like the resort was thrashed on opening Friday and Saturday. We skied Jalepeno, and noted the southern aspects had a good sun crust.

There is no...(and I don't mean just a little), I mean literally no snow at the base. There are even stay off the mud signs on runs.....

At Gondola Mid, you could probably ski down to the daylodge, but it is super thin. It looked like the magic carpet return was running...but we skipped the lodge.

There is a mandatory download from Gondola top, but I don't think they are too far away from opening "Last Spike" to the mid station. Other runs will take a while...the lower mountain trees and kill the banker are a very long way off.

Still, north bowl was amazing...best day of the season...by far!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online