• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Real ID ACT PSA

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Real ID Act was just brought to my attention today as I m trip leader for a group of New Yorkers flying west in late january.

The gist: If you have an ID from NY, LA or MI you need a passport of one of a select few ID's such as Global Entry in order to get on a commercial airline flight.

As the REAL ID Act goes into full effect on January 22, 2018, the majority of states have become compliant or been granted extensions to become compliant. Three states still fall into the non-compliant category and have not yet been granted extensions:

• Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • New York
Beginning January 22, 2018, passengers with IDs from any state that is not yet compliant and has not received an extension will not be able to board a flight with just a driver’s license. They must show an alternate, acceptable identification for domestic air travel. Per DHS, those acceptable forms of ID are:

• Valid US Passport or Passport Card
  • DHS Trusted Traveler cards: Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
After October 1, 2020, residents of all U.S. states and territories – whether they’ve received an extension or not – will be required to have a REAL ID compliant license.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

Travel agent tells me extensions may yet be granted but also advised me to have everyone bring their passports.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hope you're right but the language on the DMV link sys they "expect" you NS license will be acceptable.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
New York was granted another extension, so you should be fine. You can also upgrade your NYS License to a RealID compliant version by paying about $14 and visiting the DMV.

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/federal-real-id

From the NY site, it appears not only do they have an extension, but they have started to issue RealIDs. That's all they need to do to make all state IDs valid for travel and other federal sites - your own ID doesn't have to be compliant until 2020, it just has to be from a state that's started issuing them.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Incidentally, I went to the DMV and upgraded my license to the Enhanced ID, which includes RealID, and also will let me cross the border into Mexico or Canada on the ground. The total cost was something like $42.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can't find anywhere where it says NY has an extension. If anyone can post a link that would be great.

Homeland Security says NY is under review for an extension and has a grace period expiring on Jan. 22.
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/new-york#

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
"New York has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses and identification cards from New York at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 10, 2018."

This will be a real snake pit some day. Everyone needs to keep up to date on what their state's status is. When you renew your driver's license, do get the Enhanced license or whatever the Real-ID compliant version in your state is called. We have NEXUS cards. It's good sailing through the fast lane at Canadian border crossings, airport TSA checks, and Global Entry facilities.

Any U.S. citizen who has a Global Entry card can use the NEXUS lane when driving back into the U.S. from Canada...a little known benefit. The Global Entry card is not valid for the NEXUS lane into Canada--and I don't know if it is valid for entry into Canada at all.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I checked the box for a passport card when I renewed my passport last Sept, before I realized that it was less useful than I thought (not valid for air travel to Canada or Mexico) and momentarily had buyer's remorse. Then, a week after I renewed my CA driver's license in Nov, CA announced that the "enhanced" license was available, for something like an additional $40. Now I'm very pleased that I got the passport card.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The extension page link above is the old extension that expired October 10, 2018. There is a grace period until January 22. We are Flying January 27.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The extension page link above is the old extension that expired October 10, 2018. There is a grace period until January 22. We are Flying January 27.

Read what you wrote and that DHS page again. New York has an extension to October 10, 2018. I.e. 10 months from now.

Then that DHS page goes on to talk about states that don't have an extension yet, which is kind of confusing. But it doesn't specifically mention NY in that section.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've always had the thought that if someone suddenly had tickets to take me on a trip tomorrow I didn't want to have to turn it down because of my passport. So, I keep it handy. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm ready.

It's a great idea to have (several) passports handy, as well as cash and weapons/ammo. Stored in separate places..... :)

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Read what you wrote and that DHS page again. New York has an extension to October 10, 2018. I.e. 10 months from now.

Then that DHS page goes on to talk about states that don't have an extension yet, which is kind of confusing. But it doesn't specifically mention NY in that section.

Ooops.

Never mind.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
"New York has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses and identification cards from New York at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 10, 2018."

This will be a real snake pit some day. Everyone needs to keep up to date on what their state's status is. When you renew your driver's license, do get the Enhanced license or whatever the Real-ID compliant version in your state is called. We have NEXUS cards. It's good sailing through the fast lane at Canadian border crossings, airport TSA checks, and Global Entry facilities.

Any U.S. citizen who has a Global Entry card can use the NEXUS lane when driving back into the U.S. from Canada...a little known benefit. The Global Entry card is not valid for the NEXUS lane into Canada--and I don't know if it is valid for entry into Canada at all.

Not all states offer an Enhanced Drivers License. The short version of the EDL is that it functions as a passport card in addition to being your driver's license. My wife had one when we lived in Vermont, which offered them. We moved to Maine, they don't offer them here. Maine is also not Real ID compliant, so it's a good thing I have a passport card.

From what I was told at the Vermont DMV, the only states that can offer them are ones that have an international border. So if you're from Kansas, no EDL.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
From what I was told at the Vermont DMV, the only states that can offer them are ones that have an international border. So if you're from Kansas, no EDL.

Well I just upgraded my NYS license to an Enhanced ID so I can use it to cross land borders to Canada or Mexico (that's all you can do with it btw, it's not a replacement for a passport really), so unless you consider the Atlantic Ocean or JFK Airport an international border, then the Vermont DMV told you wrong ;-)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I just upgraded my NYS license to an Enhanced ID so I can use it to cross land borders to Canada or Mexico (that's all you can do with it btw, it's not a replacement for a passport really), so unless you consider the Atlantic Ocean or JFK Airport an international border, then the Vermont DMV told you wrong ;-)

Ummm... Niagra Falls?
Just looked it up ... there are 7 border crossings in NYS, a few in or near NIagra and the rest on the piece that sticks up next to Vt.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Damn. I never, ever, think of parts of NY State being international borders. Now I feel really really dumb! :doh::doh: Apparently I need to look at a freaking map more often!

UPDATE: Just looked at the map. Lots of border.:doh:

Yeah dude, I crossed the border at Champlain, NY many times.

And a passport card/EDL is good for sea travel to Canada/Mexico/Caribbean, so the Atlantic Ocean does count. It's just not valid for air travel.

Sponsor

Staff online