• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quiver addition- need a trenching tool to use with family

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skier: 230lb, 6'3" former USSA/FIS skier, current weekend instructor/coach, could surely use some more time in the gym

Currently have a quiver consisting of a pair of Redster S9 (165cm) that I instruct/coach on in Minnesota, a pair of Volkl Racetiger GS boards that haven't seen any use for a few years (you know what, I think I'll pull them out this week and ski some GS!), and a pair of 2018/19 Brahmas sized 187 that I got a deal on (slightly used) this fall.

What I'm looking for is a ski to use when skiing with my family "out west" in the spring. I've taken the Brahmas out briefly locally, and while I'm sure they are fun at speed or off the groomers, realistically when I go to Colorado or Montana with the family I'm going to be spending 90+% of my time on corduroy. Probably in the spring- first week of April is typically when kids get spring break. The S9s are a lot of fun and I don't mind driving them all day, but Ideally for this purpose I think I'd like something with a bit larger radius and a bit wider underfoot (due to the softer snow I"m likely to be using them on). A little versatility in terms of speed and radius would be a good thing, but really they aren't going to go off the groomers much and if there was a significant amount of fresh I'd just pull out the Brahmas. On all these skis I'd probably get the longest available length unless I can think of a good reason not to.

My thoughts are, in no particular order (thoughts based on reviews):

Firebird HRC (probably a great choice, multi radius sidecut might be good for intended use, can possibly get a used pair of demos at good price)
Laser AX (probably a bit more playful and more fun at slower speeds than the above?)
Liberty V76 (similar to above in that it's probably a bit more playful and less demanding for all day use)
Dobermann Spitfire RB 80 (on the wide side, probably good for the spring snow?)
Supershape i.Titan (wider like above, tried a friends briefly on firm corduroy, seemed nice but perhaps too close in sidecut radius to the S9s?)
Redster X9 WB (obvious choice given that I like the S9s, perhaps a bit close in sidecut radius to the S9?)

Any opinions? Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't shy away from the Liberty V82 or V92. Still super carvers, but with a little wider envelope. Even the Liberty Evolv 90 wouldn't be bad. It has a fair amount of spine to it and carves well but gives you the option of venturing onto the edges a little more. I really do like the X9WB too. Super fun!

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Andy!
I can see the 82, but I think the V92 is a probably a bit wider than I need as I don't really see adventuring into the edges much with these.
Why can't someone just follow me around with a quiver so I can decide before each run? Like a golf caddy? :huh::daffy::roflmao:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why can't someone just follow me around with a quiver so I can decide before each run? Like a golf caddy?
6a1c2a3d8a8268699dad73420c4b2def.jpg

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
What about the Salomon SForce Bold. I think they are 85 under foot and if they are anything like the Blasts they should be a lot of fun.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy, I know I'm slicing my quiver a bit thin, but don't you think it would be best to have a pair of carvers for the morning corduroy and a different set for later in the day when the snow softens up? ;)

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about the Salomon SForce Bold. I think they are 85 under foot and if they are anything like the Blasts they should be a lot of fun.
I thought about that! And the Blasts as well. I'm not sure why I didn't include them. Probably because I was thinking I should focus on <80mm, especially since I have the brahama 88's. But the Bolds, while close in underfoot width, clearly have a different mission and design than the brahma... Really though, I don't plan on venturing off the groomed stuff hardly at all with these, so IDK. But those "Return of the Turn" videos really are cool! If I were only that good a skier! Those guys could probably ski like that on a pair of Rossi 4G's from 1990!

I really wish I could demo all these over a day or two. Pugski knowledge will have to help me narrow it down though!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

The above kinda reminds me of a ski/binding system (possibly put out by Rossignol???) of a dozen or so years ago wherein there was a way of stiffening the flex of the ski mid run by stopping and taking some plastic wedge shaped things out of a backpack and attaching one to the front of the toe piece and one to the rear of the binding heel piece.

Like the ski caddy, and the Burt Retractables binding, it never caught on.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The above kinda reminds me of a ski/binding system (possibly put out by Rossignol???) of a dozen or so years ago wherein there was a way of stiffening the flex of the ski mid run by stopping and taking some plastic wedge shaped things out of a backpack and attaching one to the front of the toe piece and one to the rear of the binding heel piece.

Rossignol's system was called Mutix

Atomic had Vario Cut; Volkl had the Power Switch...

in a way, I'm glad the advent of rocker put all that on hold.

Back to the topic of the thread, no one likes the Fischer RC4 Curv GT for OP?

Last edited:
TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back to the topic of the thread, no one likes the Fischer RC4 Curv GT for OP?
Isn't that gone now? But if we're adding skis instead of crossing some out, how about the Hero Elite MT Ti?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Isn't that gone now?

It's gone? Didn't know.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sooo many good skis in this catagory and you would be happy on almost any one of them. I do think that what you are asking for and your size, there are better choices than the Liberty V skis... I would err to some skis that have some race DNA in them. The Salomon S/Max Bold is a great suggestion as is the S/Force 11 at 80mm underfoot, the narrower sibling of the 84mm S/Force Bold.

The Fischer Curv GT and the DTX...again, sooo many good skis.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Fisher WC SC 165 cm, Stockli SC 163 cm or similar (SL-ish, full camber, <70 m, a step down from FIS). Short enough radius (~13 m) to make many turns on the way down and stay behind the kiddies, long enough to ski a bit faster without it complaining. Soft enough to work at lower speeds, stiff enough to handle higher speeds. Narrow.
If you're not to fussy about turn initiation sensations and don't mind having an intermediary negotiating your turns and want some forgiveness, also consider Rossi Hero Elite Ti and the Head Ralley.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Volkl Deacon 76/74 fall into this category as well. May not be what you are looking for but the 76 has one of the longer radii available in this category. I've skied the 76 at a demo, smooth feeling ski.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sooo many good skis in this catagory and you would be happy on almost any one of them.

Thanks for chiming in O.G.!
In the interest of trimming things down, I've decided to focus on skis that I can get on a form from my preferred local shop since I like to support them. I also made a few other eliminations just based on reviews and comments, and have narrowed it down to the Firebird HRC vs the X9 WB, with a wildcard of the S/Max BLAST. Availability in my preferred lengths at this point in the season may be an issue.

Based on what I've read:
Firebird HRC is probably a bit "easier" ski than the X9 WB, and also somewhat more versatile (in terms of turn shape).
X9 WB: When you are really working it, probably lets you really lay down some trenches.

Not sure where the S/Max BLAST fits in compared to the above two. Sidecut is, numerically at least, closer to the Blizzard, but seems some report that it's actually more comfortable with the shorter turns (which, for this use, might be good). Probably closer to the Blizzard than the Atomic?

As Phil said, I'm sure all of these skis would work well for what I want to do with them.
Thanks guys, you've been helpful wrapping my head around this!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Counterargument - the X9W has a huge sweet spot and top notch damping: I feel it would be less discombobulated by chewed up groom/trench crossings/ drainage channels, and easier feeling on early AM frozen.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am roughly your build at a little over 6 ft, 225 lbs. I ski mostly groomers in the NE. with annual trips to
Killington and Copper Valley.

My daily driver was a 2018 Head Rally (I also have 2015 Volkl Race Tigers in a 165).

I demoed the Salomon S Max Black last Spring and loved it so much I ordered a pair.

Prior to that I spent some time on a myriad of 2019 Stocklis: (AX, SX, CX, SC and the consumer GS ski).

I liked the SX and in particular the consumer GS (180 cm).

I demoed the Blast once again right before Christmas (Along with the S/Max Bold) and knew I made the right choice with the Blast.

(My 2020 in a 180cm was on backorder / hiatus until early January).

Frankly the Solly kicks it up a notch over anything else in the trenching category I have skied in the last 15 years.

Frozen groomers, freeze thaw, death cookies, slarved off steeps?!?! NO problem.

It’s smooth, damp, makes any turn shape you like, is really stable at high speed, easily hauls ass on the steepest of slopes and it has edge grip like nothing else.

Go ahead and ski the Atomics and Blizzards too but kindly give these a look.

Good luck in your search.
AEE18AF5-E064-4833-8648-D3687B2FF811.jpeg

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oooh, using pics to create demand... are you a rep? Just kidding! Thanks!

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am by no means a rep AND was never a fan of Salomon skis. Until now. They worked just fine on the softer snow too. Waaayyyy better than my Volkls or Rally’s.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink