• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question about the Salomon QST 92

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been eyeing the Salomon QST 92 for my trips west — I fly and can bring only one pair of skis so I want something versatile. The QST 92 seems to check all the boxes for me, especially since I already have the QST 99 (2019 version) and I assume they share essential qualities. I love the 99s but I want something a bit more nimble in bumps and trees, which I’m enjoying more and more. I can always bring the 99s if the forecast is particularly good.

SkiEssentials has a really good deal on the 2022 model ($475 with Tyrolia Attack 14 GW, a binding I like) and there might be additional discount around the holidays.

My question: is the 2023 model so improved that it warrants paying $225 more for the package? Or would the 2022 version be perfectly fine?

Budget matters so please don’t bring up the Nela or even the Sender/Rallybird!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But but but....Rallybird

All joking aside, the QST 92 is a good compliment to the 99 for you.
Where does that fit in a quiver with something like the Rossignol Experience you got last year?

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I loved the 86 Ti on groomers and bumps but I can't say they were fun when we got several inches of powder at Winter Park. So I'd want something more playful that can handle a few fresh inches better, and still do ok on groomers and in bumps. A 92 feels like the right waist for that. Also the QST comes in 169 (2022) or 168 (2023), which is perfect for me in terms of size with that kind of rocker.

So the quiver would be Liberty V76 for when I stay local in the east, the Experience 86 Ti for the east and trips west when there won't be snow on the horizon (like what I ended up getting for most of last year), and then the QST 92 for trips west when I could get some powder (which will be tracked out fast anyway). If I hit the powder jackpot on a trip west, I can take the 99s or the 92s + renting wider skis for a day (things get tracked out fast anyway).

I could either keep the 99s as an aspirational pair for that mythical powder heaven or sell it to buy new skis. Basically I'm trying to optimize my quiver for what I'm likely to get, not what I want to get!

The Rallybird 92 looks awesome but that price point is definitely higher. Damn you, fancy rooster!

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I’ve been eyeing the Salomon QST 92 for my trips west — I fly and can bring only one pair of skis so I want something versatile. The QST 92 seems to check all the boxes for me, especially since I already have the QST 99 (2019 version) and I assume they share essential qualities. I love the 99s but I want something a bit more nimble in bumps and trees, which I’m enjoying more and more. I can always bring the 99s if the forecast is particularly good.

SkiEssentials has a really good deal on the 2022 model ($475 with Tyrolia Attack 14 GW, a binding I like) and there might be additional discount around the holidays.

My question: is the 2023 model so improved that it warrants paying $225 more for the package? Or would the 2022 version be perfectly fine?

The 92 is a bit more directional and harder snow oriented than the 99's but the difference is much less than it once was.The 99's are pretty much narrow powder skis with some harder snow versatility designed in. If I take the 99's I would want a LOT more differentiation in my second pair of skis. The 99's are actually more nimble in bumps and trees.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I was thinking about exactly that. I may end up selling the 99s and stick to something a little narrower — that's the reality of the conditions I encounter 95% of the time. Mind you, I've been very happy with the 99s' groomer performance. They're just not as nimble as I'd like (or as I can handle at my level) in trees and bumps.

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier

You can find the specs for all of these skis here. You can compare the QST99 to the 92, and the 21-22 to the 22-23. You can choose other lengths if that better fit you, the results might be different (each length is a unique product).

Between the 21-22 and the 22-23 in 168ish, here is what I see as the main differences:
- Tip rocker shape is almost the same. More taper on the 22-23, so less catchy in 3D terrain like moguls (more playful, forgiving, etc) but less stable at high edge angle (30+).
- Tail shape of the 22-23 has more rocker. They will feel easier to release at the end of a turn. More playful.
- Due to tail rocker shape, the running length (the length touching the snow) is 15 cm longer on the 21-22. The 22-23 will ski shorter.
- 22-23 has a shorter sidecut radius (13 vs 15 m). The 22-23 will turn more!
- Weight is practically identical
- Same bending stiffness (flex)
- We don't have the torsional stiffness for the 22-23, but given the same weight and bending stiffness, I would be 99% certain it is the same.

These are differences. You can only say that one ski would better fit you than the other, but this would be different for each person. If the 21-22 fits what you want and is 250$ cheaper then go for it, especially if it is the same brand, build quality, service, etc. I am not sure the 21-22 will be much more nimble than your 99. However, I am pretty sure the 22-23 will be though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I loved the 86 Ti on groomers and bumps but I can't say they were fun when we got several inches of powder at Winter Park. So I'd want something more playful that can handle a few fresh inches better, and still do ok on groomers and in bumps. A 92 feels like the right waist for that. Also the QST comes in 169 (2022) or 168 (2023), which is perfect for me in terms of size with that kind of rocker.

So the quiver would be Liberty V76 for when I stay local in the east, the Experience 86 Ti for the east and trips west when there won't be snow on the horizon (like what I ended up getting for most of last year), and then the QST 92 for trips west when I could get some powder (which will be tracked out fast anyway). If I hit the powder jackpot on a trip west, I can take the 99s or the 92s + renting wider skis for a day (things get tracked out fast anyway).

I could either keep the 99s as an aspirational pair for that mythical powder heaven or sell it to buy new skis. Basically I'm trying to optimize my quiver for what I'm likely to get, not what I want to get!

The Rallybird 92 looks awesome but that price point is definitely higher. Damn you, fancy rooster!
I totally get that. The 86 Ti is more of an all mountain ski with an off piste bias but not much of a powder bias.

I'm not sure the 92 is going to do much better in powder, but it will likely be better than the 86 Ti

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can find the specs for all of these skis here. You can compare the QST99 to the 92, and the 21-22 to the 22-23. You can choose other lengths if that better fit you, the results might be different (each length is a unique product).

Between the 21-22 and the 22-23 in 168ish, here is what I see as the main differences:
- Tip rocker shape is almost the same. More taper on the 22-23, so less catchy in 3D terrain like moguls (more playful, forgiving, etc) but less stable at high edge angle (30+).
- Tail shape of the 22-23 has more rocker. They will feel easier to release at the end of a turn. More playful.
- Due to tail rocker shape, the running length (the length touching the snow) is 15 cm longer on the 21-22. The 22-23 will ski shorter.
- 22-23 has a shorter sidecut radius (13 vs 15 m). The 22-23 will turn more!
- Weight is practically identical
- Same bending stiffness (flex)
- We don't have the torsional stiffness for the 22-23, but given the same weight and bending stiffness, I would be 99% certain it is the same.

These are differences. You can only say that one ski would better fit you than the other, but this would be different for each person. If the 21-22 fits what you want and is 250$ cheaper then go for it, especially if it is the same brand, build quality, service, etc. I am not sure the 21-22 will be much more nimble than your 99. However, I am pretty sure the 22-23 will be though.
Super-useful, thanks. I’d noticed the new version appears to have more tail rocker so between being 1cm shorter and that, it’s likely it’ll be turnier. I do enjoy big GS turns on groomers though, so I need to balance that against nimbleness in moguls.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I totally get that. The 86 Ti is more of an all mountain ski with an off piste bias but not much of a powder bias.

I'm not sure the 92 is going to do much better in powder, but it will likely be better than the 86 Ti
How would the Sender 94 (which is a little longer than I’d want at 172, but maybe it skis short?) or Rallybird 92 compare? I’d have to sell the 99s but I can live with that for skis that would complement the 86s.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

76, 86, 92, 99 feels like too much overlap to me. My vote is to sell the 86 and 99 and get something 110-115 for what you want to get. IMO, you’ll still have what you’re likely to get covered. I know that I’ll likely be burned at the stake for recommending that someone downsize their quiver.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
76, 86, 92, 99 feels like too much overlap to me. My vote is to sell the 86 and 99 and get something 110-115 for what you want to get. IMO, you’ll still have what you’re likely to get covered. I know that I’ll likely be burned at the stake for recommending that someone downsize their quiver.
There’s no point for me to get a ski this wide, I’m almost never in conditions that warrant it. I wish I was, obviously, but that’s not my reality.

I really enjoy getting on edge and carving, the 86 is awesome that way. The 99 I could get rid of and buy something in low to mid-90s that’s more off-piste than that Rossi. I ski 15 days/year and I’m realistic about the conditions I get.

I agree about the degree of overlap but the 86 fell into my lap (I won it in a giveaway here last year!) so I’m rethinking the quiver based on that + conditions I tend to ski in and how I get there (ie flying with one pair).

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Trade in the 86 & 99 for the '22 Nela 98 in 172 at Powder 7???

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I read through this thread last night and had some thoughts...but trying to organize those thoughts cohesively was a challenge that I needed to sleep on. Ha!

The 2023 QST series has a lot more off-piste, soft-snow, bias than previous iterations...it's almost going back to the roots of the old Quest Series that the QST stemmed from. I was able to demo the 98 in soft, heavy, fresh snow. What a fun ski! I wrote a review on it, and it can be found here. I got on the 92 for a single run, and I didn't feel like I gave the ski enough time to really get to know it on its own unique level...I kept comparing it to the 98, so didn't end up with a full review on it. I can confidently say that it mimicked a lot of the traits of the QST 98. The 92 felt oddly similar to the 98...but lacked a little bit of the stability that the 98 brought to the table. The 92 was a bit quicker edge to edge...but outside of that, I think I could ski a 92 on one foot and a 98 on the other and have a decent day. There are some skis that I could justify owning a 90-ish and a 100-ish ski from the same series; I would hesitate to do recommend that for the QST.

Some of the main differences that I felt between the 23 and previous iterations...
- More taper...it floats above its weight class (width class?). It floats like a one-oh-something but maintains the agility of a sub-100 ski.
- It skis a bit shorter, but I was still comfortable of the same length I've skied in the older versions.
- Nimble and easier to execute short turns. Which makes it a fun ski for bumps and trees.

You mention in your original post that you want something that you can bring west with only bringing one ski. The reason I would recommend the QST 92 is that you mention you want something nimbler than your current 99 to play in bumps and trees....the QST 92 checks this box (10 out of 10, would recommend). Buuuuut.....(there's always a but) my biggest hesitation on the QST 92 is it's soft-snow bias. It's fine on groomers if you're okay with some tip chatter that resonates throughout the ski, but it really shines in 3D snow. I think there are more versatile skis out there if you're essentially looking for a west coast one-ski quiver.

How would the Sender 94 (which is a little longer than I’d want at 172, but maybe it skis short?) or Rallybird 92 compare? I’d have to sell the 99s but I can live with that for skis that would complement the 86s.
I got on the Sender 94 in the 172 but was unable to demo the Rallybird 92 as they only had the 162 at the time. Here's my review of the Sender. If it's versatility you're looking for, one ski that does it all for your trips west, I think this could be your ticket. Hopefully @Tricia can chime in on the main differences between the Sender and Rallybird, but given that the Sender has a strip of titanal, and the Rallybird a strip of carbon...the Rallybird should ride a bit lighter and softer, but the carbon will maintain rigidity in chopped up snow.

If you sell your current QST 99 to pick up a Rallybird or Sender for this season, you could always look for a good deal early next season on a 2023 QST 98. Personally, I think the Rossignol Exp 86, Rallybird 92 or Sender 94, and '23 QST 98 would be a pretty great 3-ski quiver.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read through this thread last night and had some thoughts...but trying to organize those thoughts cohesively was a challenge that I needed to sleep on. Ha!

The 2023 QST series has a lot more off-piste, soft-snow, bias than previous iterations...it's almost going back to the roots of the old Quest Series that the QST stemmed from. I was able to demo the 98 in soft, heavy, fresh snow. What a fun ski! I wrote a review on it, and it can be found here. I got on the 92 for a single run, and I didn't feel like I gave the ski enough time to really get to know it on its own unique level...I kept comparing it to the 98, so didn't end up with a full review on it. I can confidently say that it mimicked a lot of the traits of the QST 98. The 92 felt oddly similar to the 98...but lacked a little bit of the stability that the 98 brought to the table. The 92 was a bit quicker edge to edge...but outside of that, I think I could ski a 92 on one foot and a 98 on the other and have a decent day. There are some skis that I could justify owning a 90-ish and a 100-ish ski from the same series; I would hesitate to do recommend that for the QST.

Some of the main differences that I felt between the 23 and previous iterations...
- More taper...it floats above its weight class (width class?). It floats like a one-oh-something but maintains the agility of a sub-100 ski.
- It skis a bit shorter, but I was still comfortable of the same length I've skied in the older versions.
- Nimble and easier to execute short turns. Which makes it a fun ski for bumps and trees.

You mention in your original post that you want something that you can bring west with only bringing one ski. The reason I would recommend the QST 92 is that you mention you want something nimbler than your current 99 to play in bumps and trees....the QST 92 checks this box (10 out of 10, would recommend). Buuuuut.....(there's always a but) my biggest hesitation on the QST 92 is it's soft-snow bias. It's fine on groomers if you're okay with some tip chatter that resonates throughout the ski, but it really shines in 3D snow. I think there are more versatile skis out there if you're essentially looking for a west coast one-ski quiver.

I got on the Sender 94 in the 172 but was unable to demo the Rallybird 92 as they only had the 162 at the time. Here's my review of the Sender. If it's versatility you're looking for, one ski that does it all for your trips west, I think this could be your ticket. Hopefully @Tricia can chime in on the main differences between the Sender and Rallybird, but given that the Sender has a strip of titanal, and the Rallybird a strip of carbon...the Rallybird should ride a bit lighter and softer, but the carbon will maintain rigidity in chopped up snow.

If you sell your current QST 99 to pick up a Rallybird or Sender for this season, you could always look for a good deal early next season on a 2023 QST 98. Personally, I think the Rossignol Exp 86, Rallybird 92 or Sender 94, and '23 QST 98 would be a pretty great 3-ski quiver.
Thanks, this is super-useful and exactly the kind of info I was looking for. What you said about chatter at speed on groomers with the QST 92 stopped me in my tracks: while I'm looking for something fun for moguls and trees, I do like zooming on groomers and at 5'8 for 175lbs, I need stability there.

Selling the QST 99 to pick up a Sender 94 or a Rallybird 92 would be doable this season. The Rallybird comes in at 170, which is a little longer than I'd prefer but that could be workable if it has enough rocker.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2023 QST series has a lot more off-piste, soft-snow, bias than previous iterations...
Does it mean the QST 92 2022 might be closer to what I want, with better groomer performance than the 2023 version?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do like zooming on groomers and at 5'8 for 175lbs, I need stability there.
I will say, they felt stable...but they also chattered. If that makes sense? Basically, I could feel the vibrations, but I never felt like they were going to go all wobbly on me.
Does it mean the QST 92 2022 might be closer to what I want, with better groomer performance than the 2023 version?
I would think so.

**But I'm going to throw a disclaimer in that statement, I have not been on the 92 in the 2022, so this opinion has a little bit of speculation based on the '23 version, older versions of the QST 99 that I've tried and knowing the changes they made to the shape of the ski.

If you can get the QST 92 2022 for a really good deal...it might be worth giving them a shot. Even if you ski them for a year, you can probably still sell them and get a decent amount back. Or you might find that you enjoy them more than your 99s, end up selling them down the road instead, and look for a new powder ski.

Selling the QST 99 to pick up a Sender 94 or a Rallybird 92 would be doable this season. The Rallybird comes in at 170, which is a little longer than I'd prefer but that could be workable if it has enough rocker.
What size are your QSTs? I would think a 170 at your height would be the right length.

TS
Teppaz

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What size are your QSTs? I would think a 170 at your height would be the right length.
167. My Rossi 86 Ti are 168 and feel perfect.

I've gone as long as 172 with a pair of twin-tip Lines. I also had Kenjas in 170 but wasn't comfortable and much preferred demoing them in 163 (which was too short but I preferred too short over too long with that ski).

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
167. My Rossi 86 Ti are 168 and feel perfect.

I've gone as long as 172 with a pair of twin-tip Lines. I also had Kenjas in 170 but wasn't comfortable and much preferred demoing them in 163 (which was too short but I preferred too short over too long with that ski).
With this information...I think you'll feel right at home with the 170 Rallybird, or even the 172 Sender.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, this is super-useful and exactly the kind of info I was looking for. What you said about chatter at speed on groomers with the QST 92 stopped me in my tracks: while I'm looking for something fun for moguls and trees, I do like zooming on groomers and at 5'8 for 175lbs, I need stability there.

I ski it in that length and am just fine on it.
I agree with @Lauren that the QST was a little more flappable than the Rallybird.
Keep in mind that the Rallybird and Sender have same construction, so if you find the right size in one over the other don't hesitate.

Another side note, When the Sender is listed in one length and the Rallybird is a different length (usually within a cm or two) they are actually the same length. Rossignol has a strategy of trying to differentiate the gender specific skis with different lengths even though they're the same.

Sponsor

Staff online