• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kevin_C

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello everyone! Been a while since I've checked in.

Frank - you are an inspiration man. I'm so happy that you are crushing the recovery. Being out of the brace is a great feeling, but best be careful out and about. The treadmill was a great tool when I got my brace off to get some walking in a controlled environment. I'd adjust the incline slightly to give myself a bit of a workout.

Keith - I'm glad your feeling better. 140 degrees is fantastic. I'm still hovering around the 120 mark, these last 10 or 20 degrees are pretty stubborn.

I wrote recently how my back was hanging on by a thread, well it finally gave way when I was bending over last Thursday, felt a pop, physio says its muscular and it should clear up soon hopefully. I haven't been able to rehab my leg until this morning due to this which has been frustrating. I need to get my core, glutes, hamstrings going, that is safe and won't aggravate the QTR repair. They feel so deficient which I presume is normal, but aggravating because it's making my back feel so vulnerable. Everything feels "turned off" in the posterior chain area. I'm going to give Pilates a look and up the resistance on the recumbent bike.

I was able to hit the gym this morning and do my leg routine which I hadn't done since Thursday which was a nice feeling, but I'm walking very awkwardly, protecting my back. It has loosened up significantly since Thursday, but still not where I need it to be. Keith, as your well aware, not the best scenario to have to rehab two injuries!

The Last in Lin - That is very interesting about the slight bend in the knee when walking. Makes total sense. I'm going to give that a try. Thank you for that.

I wish everyone continued success on this journey.

Kevin

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hello, Kevin, Keith and Courtney… So supportive to have all of you responding and posting. Interesting where we all are at this point from our respective surgeries. As General Electric use to advertise with their motto "...progress is our most important product." Like seeing us and those that came before us relate the improvements plus at times little setbacks!
Kevin_C --- the back thing is one of those things. I hope you PT person is correct and it will clear up quickly. I have yet to be put on the bike though I do look forward to getting there soon. Keith---Bravo to you at 140 ROM...I am not sure I was able to hit this number before I was injured. Never very flexible. Courtney ---still working to 90 ROM though I did hit 86 at PT on Monday. I go back Friday for second of my 2 times a weekly sessions.
As mentioned Monday I moved up 10 degrees ROM by session's end. They add several new items to my routine the one which surprised me most was the leg press. Primarily used the good leg to push with the other one and knee on it along for the ride. Not sure how much time all of you are spending with PT person on site but I am seen and working with them about I hour and half. 20 minutes of the time is heat (10 minutes) before exercising and icing (10 minutes) after. I presume you are all having similar experience.
That is it for now...more after Friday's PT session. :)

Frank M

Kevin_C

Skier
Hi Frank, I spend about 1 hour and 20 minutes at physical therapy. The first 10 minutes is warming up on the bicycle, then he'll do some Hands-On bending of the knee, then we'll get into some of the weights and exercises and then we'll end with ice for about 20 minutes.

In regards to the repair, both times he glued it and healed nicely. One stitch popped through second time and it caused a discoloration on top of the scar that doesn't match up w the rest of the scar. Otherwise it went well.

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Hi

Kevin- sorry to hear about your back finally giving out, you've got my empathy. You've described exactly what my thoughts have been in this, regarding the whole posterior chain of muscles and ligaments just not functioning correctly. I've started doing Pilates at a class with my wife and it's been really helpful for my back problems. I've accepted that until I regain some significant muscle tissue and strength in the injured leg, my back is going to be a weakness. Just have to manage it as best I can. I hope you get some relief from it and quickly, so you can continue progressing with recovery.

Frank- wow man, you're an inspiration. I live the approach of your surgeon and PT. I've only been given the ok to do leg presses within the last couple of weeks and I'm 20 weeks post op!! Absolutely brilliant progress for you, keep it going. I have a 1 hour supervised PT session at hospital every week and the rest is up to me. Some days I feel like there aren't enough hours to fit it all in!

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Hi

Kevin- sorry to hear about your back finally giving out, you've got my empathy. You've described exactly what my thoughts have been in this, regarding the whole posterior chain of muscles and ligaments just not functioning correctly. I've started doing Pilates at a class with my wife and it's been really helpful for my back problems. I've accepted that until I regain some significant muscle tissue and strength in the injured leg, my back is going to be a weakness. Just have to manage it as best I can. I hope you get some relief from it and quickly, so you can continue progressing with recovery.

Frank- wow man, you're an inspiration. I live the approach of your surgeon and PT. I've only been given the ok to do leg presses within the last couple of weeks and I'm 20 weeks post op!! Absolutely brilliant progress for you, keep it going. I have a 1 hour supervised PT session at hospital every week and the rest is up to me. Some days I feel like there aren't enough hours to fit it all in!

Hello Kevin Keith and Frank,

Congratulations Frank ! 90 degrees ! Bravo !

Kevin, I've had back issues most of my life (mostly from surfing) and I feel for you brother. Now that I'm getting more ROM and walking with very little aid from cane my back started to act up a little. I started back working on my core (abs) at the gym and seems to help a little bit to stabilize my ancillary and supporting musculature around my back.

Keith 140 degrees !! I never had that much ROM before I was injured !! Fantastic!

A small milestone for me at my last PT session on Friday. She got me up to 87 degrees passive ROM (She wouldn't give me the few extra degrees as extra credit lol) !
A new experience in pain but well worth it.
My PT sessions are 30 mins twice per week.
4 weeks PT completed 9 total sessions
Thanks everyone for your inspiration and encouragement !

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone

Welcome to the forum Cortney, shame it's in these circumstances though.
Pleased you've found some comfort, reassurance and inspiration from the guys on here. It's a brutal injury and for most, a lengthy rehab process.
I find it interesting that you're another person who's led an extremely active and physical life, yet the injury is caused by a seemingly insignificant event!! Its one of the things I've struggled to get my head around. My quads have been subject to all kinds of stress over the years yet mine snapped stepping down onto a pavement from some stairs. Is it a cumulative effect over the years?? Who knows.
I'm now about 20 weeks post op, 140 degrees of ROM, which I'm happy with. However, my injured leg still looks very withered compared to my good one. I still feel like I'm struggling to make any real gains in this area, but patience is a virtue they say and I plod on every day trying to get the strength and muscle tone back up.
On a positive note, my knee feels much more stable than it was and I think the daily cycling is helping with this. I'm spending about 40 mins every day on a recumbent stationary bike with plenty of resistance. Seems to be good for my back too.
Frank - you're making fantastic progress buddy. Shocked that you're out of the brace already, but hopefully you'll be fine and continue to make great progress.
There are very few tales of heroism or near death experiences with a quad tear. It seems it's usually, "I was walking to the mailbox and tripped over a dandelion....".

Keith

Booting up
Skier
There are very few tales of heroism or near death experiences with a quad tear. It seems it's usually, "I was walking to the mailbox and tripped over a dandelion....".
:roflmao:exactly right! When I the surgeon asked me how I'd done it, I felt like inventing a more dramatic version of the truth!
Cortney- sounds like you're doing well man and the ROM is progressing nicely. This is without doubt the most painful injury I've ever suffered and I've had a few over the years. I wish I'd done more work on my core structure in the early stages of rehab, it's certainly key to supporting the back structure and muscles.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
I am back a few days away. Had my 2 PT sessions last week as usual Monday and Friday. Monday the ROM was 86 degrees and on Friday after my workout at PT it was 96 Rom :) Happy Old Dude! My PT sessions last 1 and 1/2 hours. Start with my knee wrapped in heat wrap and leg hanging over the edge of the PT table for 10 minutes. The it is time for me to work. Have a variety of stretches like heel on top of huge ball with a belt affair around bottom of foot with me pulling the handles on it toward me thus rolling ball toward me and bending the knee. Still on table now heel of foot rest on table on top of small towel and the belt to slide foot on towel to me raising my knee, lots of other type stretches before getting off table to do heel lifts, runners press and stretch against wall, air squats, treadmill, etc. Then back on table to have PT work on the quad muscle above knee and finally PT guy having me sit again on edge of table and work bending the knee under table (well almost). After this he measures the range of motion! Once that is done the knee and leg encased in sleeve attached to ice water machine for 10 minutes. Then I am done till next session. And it seems they like to add new things to the routine each session so far. I think the PT place is pretty aggressive though so far not to the point of any pain! I feel more discomfort and tightness than pain. I just finished a 2 mile walk though that was little tiring.
So far all seems to be going well...I have not had an back issues so far and do not wish to have any. Years ago had back problems. Worked on strengthening it and so far so good. A back problem in the midst of dealing with attempting to rehab a knee just isn't fair :(
To all of us I wish success in this long process...as some have said before "this is not a Sprint but rather a Marathon" Keep on keeping on!

Frank

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Tuesday rehab this week. Just finished my 1 and half hour session and today I am at 105 ROM had to post this positive news.

Keith

Booting up
Skier
More fantastic progress for you Frank. Keep it going buddy. You're in course for a very speedy recovery, long may it continue.
The tightness you mention around the knee appears to be a very common symptom. Mine still feels like there's a wide rubber band fastened around the knee, particularly when I've sat for a while.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
More fantastic progress for you Frank. Keep it going buddy. You're in course for a very speedy recovery, long may it continue.
The tightness you mention around the knee appears to be a very common symptom. Mine still feels like there's a wide rubber band fastened around the knee, particularly when I've sat for a while.
Thanks, Keith! Yes, it does feel like "runner band" around the knee. Still little numbness on outside of knee cap area. I am working hard at the PT place each time I have been there. The staff is very attentive to what I am doing at their direction. They make sure I do all they are asking and the number of repeats of a particular item. Not fun but not bad because I know this is required to improve and get released one day!!! :)
How are you doing with the back issues? Not fair to have to deal with 2 problems at same time. Best thoughts for you to get beyond both. Again thank you for your positive comments and support.
Frank

Kevin_C

Skier
Frank!! Your the man, keep it up. I haven't checked in here in a few days, I'm sitting at my desk at work and said "I wonder how Frank is doing." And I got the answer I knew I'd get, your crushing it. Throughout the rehab and still to this day at 24 weeks, I experience different kinds of "strange" pains in the knee. They're all pretty common and just sort of come with the territory. They are unnerving but apparently just part of the process, or so I'm told.

Keith - Good call on the recumbent bike, it's working out well for me. I've been able to keep pace with the biking while not putting any stress on my back. I prefer it now over the regular bike. I saw a chiro who I haven't seen in a few years yesterday. He examined me and said my hips are SUPER tight, which is causing a ton of stress on my lower back. He did a low back adjustment and thoracic adjustment, and gave me a lacrosse ball massage technique, and a stretch to do when sitting in the chair where I cross one leg over the other, and then lean forward keeping my back straight. Feel a nice stretch in the hip / glute area. So far so good, the back feels more stable and less vulnerable, but still some tightness. Onwards with the recovery, I was able to get through the full weight program this morning without any hiccups.

Cortney - 87 degrees is fantastic. Keep up the great work!

Last in Lin your statement couldn't have been more true walking to a mailbox and tripping over a dandelion. One of my PT's kept telling me, "You have to come up with a better story then slipping and falling at a golf course." Oh well.....

Next PT visit is this Friday! Speak to you guys then.

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone

Latest PT session yesterday and my ROM appears to be maxed out at 145. My heel is only a couple of inches from my butt. PT says no real need to push this any further and I'm extremely happy with that.
Purely concentrating on strength and muscle development now.

Kevin - recumbent bike has been a bit of a revelation for me . The machines I use in the gym have a level of resistance up to 25. I warm up on level 10 for 5 mins then up the resistance to 16 for another 45 mins then last 10 mins is highest level i can manage which is currently 18. Doing this twice daily and it's working wonders for stabilization of the knee and there's now visual muscle development which is so encouraging. My back hasn't reacted to any of this so i'm well pleased. My hamstrings have always felt really tight and Pilates together with some other stretches, including the one you mentioned for hip flexion have helped greatly. I'd also honestly say that I experience more pain now than I did at any time post operatively. I'm told this is to be expected as I continue to push for strength gains.

Frank - you're the pace setter and looking forward to you next update. Love your positive attitude and it definitely makes a huge difference.

Regards.

Keith

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone

Latest PT session yesterday and my ROM appears to be maxed out at 145. My heel is only a couple of inches from my butt. PT says no real need to push this any further and I'm extremely happy with that.
Purely concentrating on strength and muscle development now.

Kevin - recumbent bike has been a bit of a revelation for me . The machines I use in the gym have a level of resistance up to 25. I warm up on level 10 for 5 mins then up the resistance to 16 for another 45 mins then last 10 mins is highest level i can manage which is currently 18. Doing this twice daily and it's working wonders for stabilization of the knee and there's now visual muscle development which is so encouraging. My back hasn't reacted to any of this so i'm well pleased. My hamstrings have always felt really tight and Pilates together with some other stretches, including the one you mentioned for hip flexion have helped greatly. I'd also honestly say that I experience more pain now than I did at any time post operatively. I'm told this is to be expected as I continue to push for strength gains.

Frank - you're the pace setter and looking forward to you next update. Love your positive attitude and it definitely makes a huge difference.

Regards.

Keith

Keith ...Thank you for the kudos!!! :) Well I did go to PT again last Friday and after working for 1hr 45 minutes hit 110 ROM! I am amazed how far I have come to be very honest. One thing I am definitely pleased with is I am now walking up stairs normally. Thursday night as I went up my 13 stairs about halfway up I realized I was doing it the normal way---one leg on each step at a time. Up to this point I would but the "good" leg foot on stair and then bring the other to same stair. Do hold the rail for safety sake but am able to handle the weight on the leg (knee).
I can not even imagine being able to hit 145 ROM at this point. Not sure I was able to do this before. Still have not been put on the bike or elliptical only the treadmill. I have not ventured to do either on my own and will wait until PT does so. I did treadmill today at my high school's fitness room for 10 minutes at 4 miles an hour plus did other workouts. Glad to hear of your positive progress without back issues...keep it that way:) Until next time, Frank

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Hi Frank

110 degrees is awesome at this stage of your recovery it was 12-14 weeks before I hit that. I'm really pleased to have my full ROM back, as prior to the injury, I was always able to touch my butt with my heel quite easily.
Good news re the stairs. How do you find getting down them? It certainly doesn't feel as fluid for me as going up. There's still an awkward hitch in my movement coming down steps or stairs. No doubt this will also improve over time.
All the best.
Keith

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hi Keith,

Just returned from my Monday PT session. Another workday with a couple of new items added. Still know bike or elliptical as one of these days I will need to ask when they will be added. At the end of my session I was measured at 115 ROM!!! Crazy as this was the surgeon's goal for me by May 31st. Of course, I made a smart a** remark to my PT person that I was now "free"...
Anyway I am moving pretty well overall. Getting into and out of my car is a bit of an issue if I can not fully open the car door. Try to park in areas where I can swing it wide open to exit and enter. All it takes is someone parking close where the door only opens part way and then I become a contortionist :) The stairs going up good, down like you not the same though I am able to support my weight without problem. Just very careful with the step down. Thursday another PT day and we will see if any change in ROM.
Take care and continue your progress...not sure if I will be able to full have my foot touch my butt.

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Hi Keith,

Just returned from my Monday PT session. Another workday with a couple of new items added. Still know bike or elliptical as one of these days I will need to ask when they will be added. At the end of my session I was measured at 115 ROM!!! Crazy as this was the surgeon's goal for me by May 31st. Of course, I made a smart a** remark to my PT person that I was now "free"...
Anyway I am moving pretty well overall. Getting into and out of my car is a bit of an issue if I can not fully open the car door. Try to park in areas where I can swing it wide open to exit and enter. All it takes is someone parking close where the door only opens part way and then I become a contortionist :) The stairs going up good, down like you not the same though I am able to support my weight without problem. Just very careful with the step down. Thursday another PT day and we will see if any change in ROM.
Take care and continue your progress...not sure if I will be able to full have my foot touch my butt.
Hello Frank and Keith,
Glad to hear of your amazing progress Frank ! Stairs already ! Fantastic !
I was getting discouraged that my ROM was only 87 degrees last week (4 weeks of PT...10 weeks PO)
Since I'm somewhat of a gym rat I asked my PT if it was ok to do leg press using my good leg to lower the sled while bending my injured leg to stretch and get more ROM..
It worked well and yesterday I was at PT and measured at 100 degrees passive ROM. One more week then I get to lose the brace ! WooHooo !!! Doing stationary bike also.
You're right Frank, the car is still a challenge if someone parks too close. No problem to support my weight. Can't wait till a get the go ahead from my OS on May 22 to start lifting and strengthening my quads..
Thanks for your advice Keith. It is quite helpful from one who has been there and almost completely rehabbed from this awful injury.
take care all and thanks for your support and encouragement.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hello Frank and Keith,
Glad to hear of your amazing progress Frank ! Stairs already ! Fantastic !
I was getting discouraged that my ROM was only 87 degrees last week (4 weeks of PT...10 weeks PO)
Since I'm somewhat of a gym rat I asked my PT if it was ok to do leg press using my good leg to lower the sled while bending my injured leg to stretch and get more ROM..
It worked well and yesterday I was at PT and measured at 100 degrees passive ROM. One more week then I get to lose the brace ! WooHooo !!! Doing stationary bike also.
You're right Frank, the car is still a challenge if someone parks too close. No problem to support my weight. Can't wait till a get the go ahead from my OS on May 22 to start lifting and strengthening my quads..
Thanks for your advice Keith. It is quite helpful from one who has been there and almost completely rehabbed from this awful injury.
take care all and thanks for your support and encouragement.
Cortney...nice jump in the ROM to 100 degrees. Keep working and thinking positive. I presume the sled work had something to with the improvement. We are all so different and repair at different speeds. I still have not been put on a bike. They add things each time I am at PT some prove difficult others easy! Onward on the journey. :)

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Hi Frank & Cortney

Great news on the ROM progress Cortney, bet you can't wait to lose that brace. It's a great feeling and you kinda realise you're well on the way to recovering. Good luck with the gym work, don't overdo it man. Feels great to get back in the gym and I got some real good advice and encouragement from other gym users.
Frank- do you find it easy to keep up with all of the different PT exercises they give you? Gotta say, I struggled to keep a handle on it all and wondered if some of them were really necessary. There are so many different approaches to rehab, that I constantly wonder if i'm doing the best programme for me. I suppose you just have to have faith and confidence in what You're being told.
Til the next time, take care and be safe.

Keith

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hi Frank & Cortney

Great news on the ROM progress Cortney, bet you can't wait to lose that brace. It's a great feeling and you kinda realise you're well on the way to recovering. Good luck with the gym work, don't overdo it man. Feels great to get back in the gym and I got some real good advice and encouragement from other gym users.
Frank- do you find it easy to keep up with all of the different PT exercises they give you? Gotta say, I struggled to keep a handle on it all and wondered if some of them were really necessary. There are so many different approaches to rehab, that I constantly wonder if i'm doing the best programme for me. I suppose you just have to have faith and confidence in what You're being told.
Til the next time, take care and be safe.

Keith
Hi Keith...to answer your question the I go to a Rehab business Apex PT. They have a large facility with at least 7 physical therapist on duty at all times. So I am given items to do but always at the direction of one or two of the same PT people. Walk in the door an on to table and given warm wrap for the knee. Leg is over the side of the table with wrap secure and 3 pound weight to my ankle! 10 minutes of this. Once time is up I go through all the exercise items of the day with instruction and oversight by PT person. This takes an hour to hour and half. Then the owner goes to work on my knee for 10 minutes and takes a reading of my ROM. Tuesday it moved up modestly to 117 without him forcing the issue :) Once he is done it is 10 minutes in a icing sleeve over the knee. Machine pumps ice cold water for 10 minutes into and out of sleeve! This PT place is one of the best in my area. They care for many of the Professional athletes who live in the area who need to rehab injuries. The decorations on the wall are the Jerseys of the athletes treated and the athlete has written personal message on the jersey thanking the rehab specialist who worked on them. You may not recognize many of the names if you do not live here. But one of the many is a Baseball player who is a San Francisco Giant name of Buster Posey. Repaired broken ankle injured in game. Another is a ex-Stanford University football (American football) and professional for the Indianapolis Colts. He is a Quarterback of some note and another footballer Julian Edleman who was the Most Valuable Player in the 2019 Super Bowl playing for the New England Patriots. So I feel like I am fortunate to be able to use this place for rehab. Excellent reputation ...I do not have a Jersey to hang so they are out of luck when I am turned lose!!! :) I did use them before for a couple other injuries but nothing compared to this one. When the hold your last session before setting you free they let you pick a T-Shirt to wear with their name on the front. On the back it says : If broken return to Apex Rehab" then before you go out the door for last time they have you ring a bell they have on wall by the front and everyone there claps for you :) Fun place if you have to rehab.
I do hope you are getting all you need from your PT as I do feel it makes a difference.
Frank

Sponsor