• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSIE...urope (born of PSIC...anada, cousin of PSIA...merica?)

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
1709757976847.png

TS
S

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
Isn't the European market already saturated? I would think that if anywhere is ripe for expansion, it's Asia (especially China).

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't the European market already saturated? I would think that if anywhere is ripe for expansion, it's Asia (especially China).
If they couldn’t even manage to provide materials in French in Canada, I can’t see them expanding anywhere that they can’t operate in English only.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Non starter. PSIC might work in Canada if they can seek buy in from enough mountains. In the EU:
  • Will not be recognised by any of the international associations [ISIA and IVSI]
  • Will not be recognised by any bona fide awarding body
  • Any course conductors from other associations will likely be suspended
  • In many nations ski teaching is a regulated profession, ski schools can't recognise it even if they want to
The only market is wealthy English speaking parents sending their kids on a gap year course for a very low level award. Even then if they ask any questions they will be told no formally internationally recognised awarding body recognises this.

The training might be great, the award is essentially worthless

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
PSIC will not be recognized by ISIA. Only 1 association per country. What I've heard is that CSIA will still represent Canada.
Exactly, and PSIE being non geographical won't be recognised by anyone on the other side of the pond. They'd have to effectively shut CSIA down to get in.

Because the North American model tends towards 'company towns' [company owns the hill and the likely only ski school] there might be a commercial path if you could convince say 'Vail' to 'prefer' PSIC in their resort ski schools [for the record not saying I'd support that].

On this side of the Atlantic the only market is for badge hunters equivalancing across [paying money to wear two medals instead of one on their chest, looking like a brave Russian admiral - I'm a Canadian ski instructor you know] or gap year kids where the parents are really paying to stop their kid spending a year before university taking drugs in Thailand and the badge is a bonus. There won't be too many places where you'd be able to use the card in anger.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Feckin useless as just won't be recognised. Established associations have enough cross border political issues and are generally crap at advocating for their members

How big are the egos of these PSIC guys? Seem huge.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Feckin useless as just won't be recognised. Established associations have enough cross border political issues and are generally crap at advocating for their members

How big are the egos of these PSIC guys? Seem huge.
My feeling is that at the heart of this is that it's PSIC Ltd [or whatever the Canadian equivalent is].

As I say there is a vague commercial logic to the Canadian side [I'm not advocating for it or breakaways]. The Euro side.... don't put your savings into it...

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Exactly, and PSIE being non geographical won't be recognised by anyone on the other side of the pond. They'd have to effectively shut CSIA down to get in.

Because the North American model tends towards 'company towns' [company owns the hill and the likely only ski school] there might be a commercial path if you could convince say 'Vail' to 'prefer' PSIC in their resort ski schools [for the record not saying I'd support that].

On this side of the Atlantic the only market is for badge hunters equivalancing across [paying money to wear two medals instead of one on their chest, looking like a brave Russian admiral - I'm a Canadian ski instructor you know] or gap year kids where the parents are really paying to stop their kid spending a year before university taking drugs in Thailand and the badge is a bonus. There won't be too many places where you'd be able to use the card in anger.
From what I've heard, PSIC (canada) has taken over WB's snow school. Also a few in the small hills of Ontario. And there are ads out for PSIC to go to Oz this summer.
The business model doesn't make sense, so we'll see what happens next.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
there might be a commercial path if you could convince say 'Vail' to 'prefer' PSIC in their resort ski schools
Vail “prefers” as instructors anyone who is capable of breathing and standing unassisted. Any ability to ski is a bonus, as are other indicia of sentience. A PSIC qualification, or indeed any qualification, would send the hiring manager into delirium.

TS
S

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
From what I've heard, PSIC (canada) has taken over WB's snow school.
Yup, they've snagged most of the WB braintrust. Off the top of my head: Russ Wood, Nat Wood, Guy Hetherington, JS Forget, MC Baron, Tracy Fraser, Jamie Jack, Seb Beribeau, Paul Sauve.

I'm struggling to name many top WB peeps who've stuck with CSIA. Otto Kamstra, Betsy Linnell, Luc Neron, Guy Dale, Garrett Gentle, ... maybe Ken Paynter???

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Warren Jobbit, Betsy Linnel, Kathy Prophet, Maggie Graham, Dan Ralph. Ottawa and Quebec areas have not gone yet. Some of the smaller Ontario ones have along with Blue which appears to be 1/2 and 1/2.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yup, they've snagged most of the WB braintrust. Off the top of my head: Russ Wood, Nat Wood, Guy Hetherington, JS Forget, MC Baron, Tracy Fraser, Jamie Jack, Seb Beribeau, Paul Sauve.

I'm struggling to name many top WB peeps who've stuck with CSIA. Otto Kamstra, Betsy Linnell, Luc Neron, Guy Dale, Garrett Gentle, ... maybe Ken Paynter???
Does CSIA have a position on their delivering across both organisations? Zero chance of that here.

horsetwist

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does CSIA have a position on their delivering across both organisations? Zero chance of that here.
I'm interested to hear why you think that to be the case (in Europe). There are many national associations here that allow their examiners to deliver courses for more than one organisation.

Sponsor