• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I understand the applied psychology angle for the recreational, aspiring professional and the professional athletes. The approach is not new but the first I've seen where a dedicated week long seminar is applied to skiing. My interpretation is that camp is marketing the applied psychological component for the recreational skier, whose objective is to maximize enjoyment aka fun by over coming mental trammels.

Rare will I agree with Nike, but........"just do it".

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand the applied psychology angle for the recreational, aspiring professional and the professional athletes. The approach is not new but the first I've seen where a dedicated week long seminar is applied to skiing. My interpretation is that camp is marketing the applied psychological component for the recreational skier, whose objective is to maximize enjoyment aka fun by over coming mental trammels.

Rare will I agree with Nike, but........"just do it".

Unfortunately, “Just do it” isn’t a reliable prescription. Fear and anxiety, in particular, often stem from other areas of life, and end up encompassing everything, and it can be delibilitating. This camp is only 2 days, and appears to be directed at generalized fear, not just skiing-related fear. I would think that being with a group of people that suffer the same feelings in itself could be a healing experience.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Very interesting application of her technique. But this is weird. Skiing supposed to a fun recreational activity? For the most part, industry professionals aside, this entire web community is about the pursuit of having fun. Skiing is nothing more than having fun. I understand the fears associated with skiing: heights, falling, getting hurt, social anxieties. But does a seminar like this which attempts to enhance how to have fun actually remove the fun? Feels like if someone needs a mental seminar to learn how to have fun skiing should they just quit.
I think you're looking at it wrong, at least from my perspective.

For me and some others, its about enjoying the sport but having some (for lack of a better term) fear to take it to the next level.
I don't have a lot of anxiety when it comes to skiing, but I'm uncomfortable with catching air, other than the small amount of air when popping over a rollover or something like that. I'd like to be okay with small drops.

Take @AmyPJ for example. She loves skiing but after her accident that took a long time for recovery, she had some anxiety, yet she wanted to get her mojo back.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Wish I could have made the event, but it sold out before I got off my butt to buy a ticket.

What I think would be interesting to hear about is managing fear which I bet would be a big topic. Because as some pointed out, no fear is actually stupid; fear is something that keeps us alive. It would be interesting to me how people figure out when fear is holding them back versus the fear you should be having that is giog to help keep you alive.

Perhaps off topic, but my biggest fears tend to be situations where I feel I am completely helpless and can't influence the outcome of a situation. For example, I don't do well with serious illness or injury. I feel like I don't have any control. I'd love to hear how pro athletes mentally handle serious injury and control their fear about how they will recover.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The gist of it is that the suppression of her fears over the years basically made her sick. Suppressing your fear is not healthy. The goal is to make friends with it, embrace it, and know that it is healthy and there for good reason.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
It would be interesting to get some feedback on the course by someone who attended. Was it valuable, how did it work for you and others. What was learned and how to use etc.

Did a Featured Article here on "Fear a different approach" but it was more for an instructor and would find some feedback interesting.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It would be interesting to get some feedback on the course by someone who attended. Was it valuable, how did it work for you and others. What was learned and how to use etc.

Did a Featured Article here on "Fear a different approach" but it was more for an instructor and would find some feedback interesting.
That is why I'm doing this. I hope to give comprehensive coverage of it.
Though I'm not riddled with fear in skiing, I do have some "normal" fear, which has probably been spurred by survival genes.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Though I'm not riddled with fear in skiing, I do have some "normal" fear, which has probably been spurred by survival genes.

I'm looking forward to your trip report. Any chance you're interested in doing a Mermer Blakeslee camp on fear too, and reporting the differences?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm looking forward to your trip report. Any chance you're interested in doing a Mermer Blakeslee camp on fear too, and reporting the differences?
Potentially

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Will you be there? While I couldn’t attend the camp, I will be at Alta, and GMD, coming in that Sunday afternoon. :)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

I think you did an event with Mermer. Was it a fear camp or something else?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I think you did an event with Mermer. Was it a fear camp or something else?
I have not done a fear camp with Mermer. I skied in a PSIA group with her a week at National Academy (Snowbird Ut) one year, and at Killington VT at ProJam for two years (one week each time). She is a technical whiz as well as a fear expert.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will you be there? While I couldn’t attend the camp, I will be at Alta, and GMD, coming in that Sunday afternoon. :)
We have an extended stay place in Midvale, will be there from Friday evening through Tuesday morning.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I have not done a fear camp with Mermer. I skied in a PSIA group with her a week at National Academy (Snowbird Ut) one year, and at Killington VT at ProJam for two years (one week each time). She is a technical whiz as well as a fear expert.
I concur. Mermer is fantastic! Take any opportunity you get to ski with her.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I am taking a private with Mermer either towards the end of this season or the beginning of next, or both................. We've exchanged emails. Her sister in law also works with her so she recommended her as well. I'm looking forward to breakthroughs in dealing with my fear.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Only a few days away from the road trip to Alta!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to hearing your review about this. Alta is certainly providing great conditions for it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking forward to hearing your review about this. Alta is certainly providing great conditions for it.
I have a full article written up for this and am waiting for final edits. Look for it soon.

I will say, this approach to fear is much different than any approach I've experienced before.

Sponsor