• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

President’s week, Big Sky vs Deer Valley?

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Someone is still living in denial of Ikon.

Bridger bowl? Who cares? And you actually pay to ski the day? That mythical vibe is worth every penny!

Yellowstone club? I heard it has better terrain than Deer Valley. At least you only pay once, if they take your money and don’t go bankrupt on you.

One wonders who’s the butt of the joke.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's still the same ridiculous question.

One should obviously go to Deer Valley. Closer to the airport, better food, more stuff around, no grizzly bears in the area, no snowboarders. Leave Big Sky for those who just want to ski. Moonlight Basin-hunt and ski. Bridger Bowl if you get bored, Yellowstone club if you get invited.

There are skiers. There are people that skis. There are people who like to check boxes.
Difficult to suggest a resort unless we know which category the OP belongs to.
I'm staying out of this and I suggest you do too. :cool:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big Sky. I've done Deer Valley during President's week and I'm sure it's not bad compared of most of the crowded places in New England or Colorado, and it's probably less crowded than many other Utah resorts, but there are still lines. Especially this year with it on the Ikon. I'm sure people who normally wouldn't ski Deer Valley will try it out that week to avoid crowds in the Cottonwoods. It sounds like Big Sky is surely the play.

That said, my tips for trying to get around crowds at Deer Valley:
  • Flagstaff will be mobbed, but the Silver Strike lift tends to have shorter lines than Quincy or Northside. Red Cloud is fun if you're a more advanced skier
  • The further left (looking at the trail map) you go on Bald Mountain, the shorter the lines
  • Lady Morgan is usually not as crowded as Empire, and has some fun terrain for advanced skiers. Non-advanced skiers will quickly get bored of Pearl/Dakota
  • I can't imagine that the line at Jordanelle is ever very long, but it would get boring lapping the one trail that gets you to the bottom

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Especially this year with it on the Ikon. I'm sure people who normally wouldn't ski Deer Valley will try it out that week to avoid crowds in the Cottonwoods.

That's probably true... but DV is still limiting the number of skiers per day, and Ikon pass holders are recommended to pre-book their time there to ensure they'll get a lift ticket.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's probably true... but DV is still limiting the number of skiers per day, and Ikon pass holders are recommended to pre-book their time there to ensure they'll get a lift ticket.

I would be curious to know how often Deer Valley hits their limit :eek:. I've been with family and we have bought day passes at 9-10am during President's week and had no problem getting tickets (in fact, we didn't even know there was a cap). Maybe some years are worse than others? Or maybe Christmas week is even busier than President's week? Also, I don't want to start any rumors so this might be totally false, but I sort of remember hearing word about the cap increasing this season...

All this Deer Valley talk is making me stoked to get back :) I can't wait!

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
A related question about DV: what would be the best week to ski beginner part of DV in Jan or Feb for fewest crowds? I know Sundance happens around last week of Jan and I don't know if that increases or decreases crowd. My guess is the week between Sundance and President's day would be the best for avoiding crowds.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most folks that show up for the Sundance festival do not ski.
The slopes will not be crowded but lodging will be tough.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
We are heading to BIg Sky shortly. Have an IKON but is it worth paying for a day at Bridger B?
Also going to stop at Targee on the way to Jackson.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
We are heading to BIg Sky shortly. Have an IKON but is it worth paying for a day at Bridger B?

It is worth paying to ski Bridger Bowl if there is fresh snow (BB can be in a different snow pattern than BS) and it is midweek. Weekends at BB are busy and midweek powder days are busy, but fun.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
If you come to Big Sky, bring your rock skis. We need snow badly.

Sponsor

Staff online