• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

President’s week, Big Sky vs Deer Valley?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
How crowded is Big Sky during President’s week? (but not the weekend itself as my pass is black out anyway)

I’ve only been to Big Sky twice. Both times were dead quiet. No line at the base, no crowd on the mountain... except of course the tram! Would the tram line be unbearable during President’s week?

I haven’t been to Deer Valley for like 10 years. Can’t remember much at all. Are there choke points that would get seriously stuffed during peak week?

Being a cubicle dweller, President’s week is a week everyone slaking off. So it’s THE week for me to take off. I’m told both Big Sky and Deer Valley are usually uncrowded. Hence they are my top choices.

Is one better than the other? Or both should be avoided and go somewhere else instead? (I have Ikon base, so Jackson and Solitude /Brighten are also options. But I suspect those are busier than DV/BS)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen and Taos are two other areas that are usually not mobbed on President week. Busier, yes. Mobbed, nowhere like the other places.

You may want to check the protocol for skiing DV with the Ikon pass. I believe you have to make reservations in advance.

Last edited:
TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Doing Aspen in January, together with Copper and Steamboat.

Taos is hard to get to. Also no nearby mountains to join with (doing a 10 day trip)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have the base or unlimited Ikon pass?

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I was at Big Sky Presidents' Day week several years ago and even on the weekend there seemed to be nobody there.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Big Sky spreads crowds out so well, even if there are a lot of skiers, it still seems empty! Now, with the Challenger 8-pack, the lines will be even less! In addition, the Sky is off to a great snow year already! I'd recommend Big Sky, for sure.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
What about the tram? I would imagine the tram line will be a bit longer on that week? Any tip on time of day etc?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
What about the tram? I would imagine the tram line will be a bit longer on that week? Any tip on time of day etc?

The tram line is almost always long if it is sunny and good snow irrespective holiday weekend or not.

Tram line tips:
  • Expect a 30-45 minute wait (if the line is outside the corral ~40 minutes plus).
  • If there is poor visibility, wind or crusty snow, often the tram is ski on (for a reason). The summit in poor visibility or crusty snow can be spicy (talk to patrol first).
  • Later in the day the line shortens. If you are doing a scenic trip the last tram trip is scenic only at ~3:30 PM and there is usually a very short line.
  • If the tram line is long, go other places Challenger, Headwaters and Lone Tree have some steep shots, often better snow and typically very short lines
  • The summit on a clear day with good snow is an amazing places.
  • "We can see your tetons"

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the differences between Big Sky and Deer Valley (terrain, ambiance, après ski activities, etc.) I am surprised one would be choosing between the two for a Holiday. Big Sky has a lot of space for people so crowds are not a big problem. But the Tram is another matter. It does get lines because it only carries 15-16 or skiers at a time. The attendants herd people along in a good way, and the crowd is usually in good humor (or scared silly at what's to come). When the Tram was designed and built in the 1990's I don't think anyone anticipated the number of skiers it would attract, but it got lines right from the start, though way shorter than nowadays. I was in that line the first day it was open to the public. Very dry mouth. Survived.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Given the differences between Big Sky and Deer Valley (terrain, ambiance, après ski activities, etc.) I am surprised one would be choosing between the two for a Holiday.
I’m not choosing between the 2, only which one for THAT week. Will do the other at a different (non holiday) week.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been to both during President’s week. To avoid crowds and lift lines, Big Sky hands down. If you get nostalgic for lifelines while at Big Sky, you can always visit the tram.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Big Sky spreads crowds out so well, even if there are a lot of skiers, it still seems empty! Now, with the Challenger 8-pack, the lines will be even less! In addition, the Sky is off to a great snow year already! I'd recommend Big Sky, for sure.

This is really the key - Big Sky even on its busiest days can spread people around. Only at the beginning of the day and after lunch do the base lifts get some lines. And you'll quickly learn to stay up the mountain anyway.

BTW, @Bob Simpson - It's RamCharger 8. Challenger is a 3-person and isn't getting another upgrade to 8 (I can only imagine how hairy it would get up there if it started dumping out 8 skiers every 20 seconds). ogsmile

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Do you have the base or unlimited Ikon pass?
Base.

I’ve got my answer. Will do a Big Sky & Jackson combo for President’s week.

Will be keeping an eye on how much terrain is open in Taos early January while I’m at Copper to see if it justifies the 4 1/2 hr drive down...

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
This is really the key - Big Sky even on its busiest days can spread people around. Only at the beginning of the day and after lunch do the base lifts get some lines. And you'll quickly learn to stay up the mountain anyway.

BTW, @Bob Simpson - It's RamCharger 8. Challenger is a 3-person and isn't getting another upgrade to 8 (I can only imagine how hairy it would get up there if it started dumping out 8 skiers every 20 seconds). ogsmile

Whoops, I should know better! I've been enjoying watching the construction progress almost everyday on the web cam with the sign blazing "Coming Soon, Ramcharger 8"! Thanks for the correction!
Bob

James

Out There
Instructor
Is this like an early April fools day thread?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this like an early April fools day thread?

Because you don't believe someone would actually be considering Big Sky vs. Deer Valley?

Maybe you just haven't come to accept all the realities of having an Ikon Pass. :D

James

Out There
Instructor
Because you don't believe someone would actually be considering Big Sky vs. Deer Valley?

Maybe you just haven't come to accept all the realities of having an Ikon Pass. :D
It's still the same ridiculous question.

One should obviously go to Deer Valley. Closer to the airport, better food, more stuff around, no grizzly bears in the area, no snowboarders. Leave Big Sky for those who just want to ski. Moonlight Basin-hunt and ski. Bridger Bowl if you get bored, Yellowstone club if you get invited.

Sponsor

Staff online