• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pre-skiing routines/OCD and Superstitions?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I had weird motorcycle habits..certain repetitive motions that got me in the mind-set. Skiing, it's more like Tricia..get the right stuff in the right pockets. :)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is getting harder as I get older, but I really do not want to break my record of never going #2 at a ski hill. So my focus in the morning revolves around that.

Probably why I've never considered owning a one-piece fart bag ski suit.....

I wasn't going to say mine, but after this ... My superstition is always using the same bathroom stall in the places I've been "going" (heh) for years. Solitude Station, ABasin, even at Mary Jane (where I don't ski that much anymore but even after a remodel the bathroom setup is still the same). I will wait if someone is using it. Definitely a superstition.

Last edited:

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
20190123_103310.jpg

Don't forget the sunscreen...

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
A good day starts with snow blowing/ shoveling the driveway and the dog's stairs. Start the day moving snow then go to mountain and move some more.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Funny I was recently thinking of starting this exact same thread.

Similar habits to what everyone else posted. One thing that has become OCD for me for some reason is I have to have the ski straps on my skis for the walk from the car in the parking lot to the lodge and vice versa. I got my wife in the habit too but who do you think gets to carry her ski straps when she pulls them off at the lodge?

I was putting them on at the end of the day yesterday and my hands were freezing getting those stupid things on and I started to question my OCD. I might go crazy and leave 'em off next time.

I don't know though. As a former hockey player, superstitions are deeply embedded to the pre-game routine.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty much none of the above except for coffee and #2 as well as always putting boots on before I ski. Life happens/skiing happens

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was putting them on at the end of the day yesterday and my hands were freezing getting those stupid things on and I started to question my OCD. I might go crazy and leave 'em off next time.

I confess I have a post-skiing OCD*: brushing snow out of the binding (chain brushes rock) and running wax along the edges. The downside, of course, is that one of your pockets has to fit a chain brush.

*it's not really a disorder if you're doing it right. :)

Last edited:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I'm definitely OCD when it comes to preps for skiing.

The night before (just before bedtime), I make sure everything is sorted: gear (helmet, gloves, boots, snacks, etc) is in the duffel. Skis & poles go into a ski bag. I make sure all is in it's designated place. Everything is placed in a room (that stays warm) near the garage.

First thing in the AM, I always go through the same routine: moderate stretching routine, followed by the same eggs-hashbrowns-ham breakfast & two cups of coffee. Always. Then I suit-up, load up & I'm off.

When I get to the lodge, I always take 15min to sip some coffee, relax, eat an energy bar & look over the conditions. On the mountain, before the first run, I always take a couple minutes just to take in the surroundings (the people, the weather, the conditions, how I'm feeling, etc) and tune my awareness. Then: game on.

I'm just as OCD after skiing. Immediately after getting home I unload, wipe down the skis, check 'em out and put all the gear in their designated place. That's also when I always re-stock the snack & water stash in the duffel. The most important final step in the ritual: looping the season pass to my helmet's chin strap. Again: always.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I have two. I always make sure my jacket is in my car and not sitting on the couch. Since I once drove the 2.5 hours to find out I left it home. That cost me a bunch. I also always look under the table and chairs in the lodge after booting up, as that seems to be the only place I ever really lose things. Various fleeces, hats, liners, through the years.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not OCD enough, I guess. Forgot boot heater batteries and COFFEE:doh: the other day. Too far along to turn back. Paid for it the next morning with a headache.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My routine? I always beat the top of the slope with my pole and scream "Watch me rip the s%^t out of this!" :D

(In reality, my only routine is to make sure my boot bag is packed with everything I need. And it usually already is and sitting by the front door, so I don't have much of a routine.)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I always cross-step into my skis; it just looks much cooler! :ogcool:

Sponsor

Staff online