• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pre-skiing routines/OCD and Superstitions?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
So, what are your getting ready for skiing routines, OCD issues or superstitions?

I have my gear packed and ready at all times, I have a timer on my hotbag that goes off at 5:30 so my boots are ready to slip into. jacket pre-loaded with my trail mix, glove liners, extra gator and extra lens.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For me its more about the routine of what goes in my pockets.
I have my phone in a certain pocket, chapstick in another, and a protein snack in another and reading glasses in another.
If my stuff is in the wrong pocket, I'm doomed.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have none. Being an engineer by profession, there is much organization, attention to detail, etc. required in that.

So in my recreational life, I'm a joyful, disorganized, spur of the moment shit-show.

Though somewhere around age 40, I remember deciding that I was financially successful enough that I could afford to put a separate chapstick in each of my three main ski jackets! :D

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
I try and remember where Ieft my keys first, then my coffee for the drive.... wait, did I pack my gloves ? what about ski socks, did I put them in the boot bag ? I know I already checked 3 times but still.... I mean, if I get to the mountain and they're not there :doh: .... dang it.... I forgot to put sunblock on..... now I gotta go back in the house.... outta the way Chooie (my dog) I already gave you a treat.... Ok, here's 2 more.... now get outta my way.... shoot.... what was I coming back in the house for..... :)

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I double check to make sure our passes are in the car. Some of the places we ski don't have RFID so they have to go on a lanyard. I have forgotten many things, but usually only one item at a time. Ski pants? Check. Jackets? Check. Ski socks? Check.

Our system is getting more streamlined as the seasons progress.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jacket loaded with non perishables, ski supply backpack (goggles, gloves, extra clothing, etc) and skis are always ready to go.
The soft perishables/consumables can be substituted with electronic currency.

The attitude is always ready to go.

First slope on non-powder days....refer to my drills to start the day thread.

Not necessarily OCD, just don't want to have to think when I need to move.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I double check to make sure our passes are in the car. Some of the places we ski don't have RFID so they have to go on a lanyard. I have forgotten many things, but usually only one item at a time. Ski pants? Check. Jackets? Check. Ski socks? Check.

Our system is getting more streamlined as the seasons progress.
You have a family that you're organizing as well.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
First slope on non-powder days....refer to my drills to start the day thread.

Not necessarily OCD, just don't want to have to think when I need to move.

yep, I always start off every run with the basic movement I am reinforcing and imprinting

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
coffee for the drive
I've turned around for coffee.

Since I've evolved enough to use a boot bag, I'm usually ready to go. HOWEVER, I do have to be cognizant of what I took out to dry or swap out. My biggest thing is checking the website, and specifically the temp, wind, and web cams of the area where I'm going. I also check the Desert Research Institute weather station at the top Slide Mountain when skiing at Mt. Rose since Mt. Rose is really on Slide Mountain.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
specifically the temp, wind, and web cams of the area where I'm going. I also check the Desert Research Institute weather station

same here, we have a DRI lab on top of Mt Werner (ski mountain) and I use their data. our powder cam is located just below the summit but to the south so at least I have a better idea of what fell than the mid-mountain report which is what you really ski down to at Steamboat.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
I repack my jacket pockets after every trip and my boot bag as soon as everything is clear and dry. Check social media on closures or not, weather check, grab my coffee and go. I am a sad individual with a phone grafted on to me, so it would be strange if I forgot it, just put it in same old pocket. Home hill routine is a couple runs working on limited skills and after that just mindless enjoyment with the occasional dash of 8 yr old thrown in along the run edges where there are small air opportunities.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I get my ski clothes ready the night before, make sure my helmet Bluetooth speakers are charged up and my music downloaded on my phone. Make sure I have my pass ready. I also keep my ski boot bag ready to go at all times loaded up with mid layer, gloves, eye protection, hand warmers, etc. Wallet in my jacket pocket, etc. In the morning I make sure my water bottle is filled up nad grab and go snacks ready. Check the weather and snow reports and decide what skis I'm bringing out. Once on the hill I take a warm up run on a green to check out how I'm feeling, etc.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
not preskiing, but at a new resort, i try to go to the very top as soon as possible.
If there is any Worldcup downhill or Olympic downhill labelled run, i must try that run before leaving.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
All of the pockets loaded with lens cloth, wallet, cell phone in the right pocket for easy location (now which pocket was that again? Will start looking in this one; nope.)

It is more about putting it away as getting it ready to go:
Boot bag has passes in the side pocket, knee brace, light weight gloves, jeans, 2 beers go here.
Helmet bag has hat, torque, extra goggles and lenses, leather and powder gloves, multi-tool.

The backpack is at the ready with 1st aid, shovel, probe, tools, whistle, ect. Sadly not been needed on the hills skied this year, but soon (must check beacon).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
img_20190114_100511-jpg.62858

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
This is getting harder as I get older, but I really do not want to break my record of never going #2 at a ski hill. So my focus in the morning revolves around that.

Probably why I've never considered owning a one-piece fart bag ski suit.

I have everything in the correct pocket fer sure (like previous posters), but my last routine before leaving the truck in the base area is that all my pockets are zipped up. Several times I've skied the entire day with my pants pocket containing my car keys unzipped! Zipper check after lunch too.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I pull out of the garage (why did my iPad just autocorrect “garage” to “grave”?) I go through a mental checklist of skis, boots, poles, helmet, pants, jacket. Everything else can be purchased at the mountain and/or I keep backups in an emergency bag in the car at all times.

Sponsor

Staff online