• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier
Granted, this is probably because I'm an intermediate level skier but I've been able to ski a couple of powder days now this season in the PNW and they were the least fun ski days of the year. Probably just skied the last time of the season yesterday at Mission Ridge, where they have over a foot of snow in the prior 24 hours. First, there was a 30min delay in start time(in addition to getting there 1 hour early know it was going to be crowded day) due to avalanche mitigation. Chair 2 to the summit wasn't open due to high winds. Finally, went up on Chair 1 then Chair 3. There was some untracked snow initially, which was not bad. I find skiing in powder so much more technically challenging then regular groomers(FYI, there was no real groomed runs due to the overnight snow). Balance is so critical that you can't just go charging down the mountain/carving. What makes it immensely more difficult is when it's all cut off after a hundred people have been thru it. Then it feels like you're in a washing machine, having to constantly adjust your balance between areas of powder and less powder. At one point my 12yo son took a spill and we couldn't find his poles. Ended up finding one but the other was nowhere to be seen in the deep snow. (I know, this wouldn't happen if he used the straps properly.) Then later, I got a little off balance and fell, came out of my bindings. It took literally 15 minutes trying to get back into the bindings in 1 foot of powder. I even tried the tried I learned online about sticking the tail end of the ski into the snow. I usually do like offpiste skiing when there's couple inches of new snow but this is a different animal. Suffice it to say, I'll probably go out of my way to avoid the deep powder days in the future.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I'll probably go out of my way to avoid the deep powder days in the future.
Thanks!

It takes time to learn, but when you get the feel there's nothing quite like getting uncut turns in deep, light snow. One thing you possibly were dealing with is that it wasn't really powder snow. Around the PNW "powder" snow is new snow, not necessarily light stuff. You can learn to ski an enjoy it, but it takes time. Starting in a foot of new is a bit extreme. Next time try maybe 4 or 5" when you get chance and see how that goes.

My problem with "powder" days is the amount of crazed people jamming the lift lines, cutting in, and being generally obnoxious about it. I'm pulling back from that scene because it ruins the fun for me.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Granted, this is probably because I'm an intermediate level skier but I've been able to ski a couple of powder days now this season in the PNW and they were the least fun ski days of the year. Probably just skied the last time of the season yesterday at Mission Ridge, where they have over a foot of snow in the prior 24 hours. First, there was a 30min delay in start time(in addition to getting there 1 hour early know it was going to be crowded day) due to avalanche mitigation. Chair 2 to the summit wasn't open due to high winds. Finally, went up on Chair 1 then Chair 3. There was some untracked snow initially, which was not bad. I find skiing in powder so much more technically challenging then regular groomers(FYI, there was no real groomed runs due to the overnight snow). Balance is so critical that you can't just go charging down the mountain/carving. What makes it immensely more difficult is when it's all cut off after a hundred people have been thru it. Then it feels like you're in a washing machine, having to constantly adjust your balance between areas of powder and less powder. At one point my 12yo son took a spill and we couldn't find his poles. Ended up finding one but the other was nowhere to be seen in the deep snow. (I know, this wouldn't happen if he used the straps properly.) Then later, I got a little off balance and fell, came out of my bindings. It took literally 15 minutes trying to get back into the bindings in 1 foot of powder. I even tried the tried I learned online about sticking the tail end of the ski into the snow. I usually do like offpiste skiing when there's couple inches of new snow but this is a different animal. Suffice it to powdersay, I'll probably go out of my way to avoid the deep powder days in the future.
Actually, i think you should stay home on any powder day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To quote @Bob Barnes, "If you want to get a taste for powder, you have to eat some".

The powder will be there for you when it's ready. But I agree as an intermediate, it can be overly difficult until you learn the skills for it. Once you start getting that taste for it...even with just a couple of inches over some nice groomers and experience that sensation of floating...you will realize that powder isn't as overated you initially thought. Don't write it off yet.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Then it feels like you're in a washing machine, having to constantly adjust your balance between areas of powder and less powder
That is where a longer and wider ski really helps. Any ski works in pristine powder.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
When I was an intermediate skier I remember skiing a powder day in Colorado with my wife (a life long skier) with the grooming report in hand. The groomers were impossible for me to ski as well. I'll never forget the terrible experience of trying to get down off the mountain Green runs that I couldn't handle due to the snow.

I can ski powder now, but it took a long time.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is a curve to learning anything and cut up snow has a pretty steep one. Every day you ski will make it easier. 3-4" is easier to learn in, just keep expanding your comfort zone. If you keep at it, your time will come.

Yesterday was 22" of fresh, it was so much fun seeing and being a ghost floating thru the trees. Sincerely hope that you and your son get to experience that.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Along those lines, I caught the bug on a storm day when it started with an inch or two and got progressively deeper through the day. I started on groomers, then ventured toward the edges where it was deeper. I was on pre-shaped slalom skis and the snow was good and I wasn't. But was hooked. The day I actually "got" it I was the only guest in a clinic (so private lesson) and had just gotten my first fat skis. I was literally laughing out loud.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Granted, this is probably because I'm an intermediate level skier

Yup.

The reason why powder skiing is exhausting is because of something you do in your groomer skiing....

you

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I‘m an intermediate on a good day and I experienced my first powder day at Breckenridge in mid December. I also struggled and didn’t like it, but also knew it was me. After coming down from the top in two feet of powder and scared out of my wits, I stuck to the lower groomed runs, where it had maybe 4 inches max, for the rest of the day. It will be a long time before I get good enough or want to try again.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@hull22 and @ForeverSki , what skis were you on?
After trying skiing on our own for a few trips, the third year our group of four adults hired a private instructor. I was the worst skier of all of us, every exercise we did.​
Then he took us into the trees. I linked turns in the shallow powder, while one by one, my wife and friends fell over! I was so happy, at least there was one thing I was good at! :yahoo:
The happiness lasted right until the instructor pointed out I was on rockered 90mm skis, and the others on 65mm full camber skis...:ogcool:

I am going to guess, you were on some frontside skis.
Good skiers can ski anything on anything, but for the rest of us good gear really helps. The next time you have a powder day, rent something wider, rockered and tapered, and enjoy it!

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the Black Pearl 88 @ 159cm. It’s 88mm underfoot with tip and tail rockers. My skis were ready. I was not. ogsmile Although at 2 feet of powder, 88mm might still be too narrow.

Yeah, that's not a powder ski.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Obviously you didn't have a snogasism - too bad and hope you get to try again in light powder with wide skis.

Snogasim - the overwhelming feeling of euphoria felt when skiing deep, untracked champagne powder.

TS
H

hull22

Getting on the lift
Skier
@hull22 and @ForeverSki , what skis were you on?
After trying skiing on our own for a few trips, the third year our group of four adults hired a private instructor. I was the worst skier of all of us, every exercise we did.​
Then he took us into the trees. I linked turns in the shallow powder, while one by one, my wife and friends fell over! I was so happy, at least there was one thing I was good at! :yahoo:
The happiness lasted right until the instructor pointed out I was on rockered 90mm skis, and the others on 65mm full camber skis...:ogcool:

I am going to guess, you were on some frontside skis.
Good skiers can ski anything on anything, but for the rest of us good gear really helps. The next time you have a powder day, rent something wider, rockered and tapered, and enjoy it!
I was on Ripstick 96 Black Ed. Might have done slightly better on my Sky 7s

Sponsor