• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That does sound funny. Thanks for alluding to it and not sharing. ;)
Ok, I was in Memphis late ‘80s and we talk about elevator inspection safety and the need to shut off power. Mind you power, electricity and Hydro all meant the same to me when used in the presentation/conversation by others. I used Hydro as it was second nature, which lead to some confusion for the rest.

So on the bus ride to dinner I got asked why is the water in the elevator machine room and replied sarcastically its not water its Hydro all knowingly and pointed outside, like in the Hydro lines outside. More confusion for the others and frustration for me. Where was asked? You know the poles with the wires on them, thinking boy are they dumb until they said you mean power lines, yes exactly was my reply. Whereupon a reply came back so why to you say Hydro and my light went on...... Electricity generated by a dam.....Hydro Electricity (AKA power from Niagara Falls) or in short form HYDRO, they hadn’t made the connection (until I explained it).

Funny how localized language can lead to misunderstand. Extremely funny but definitely a valuable learning experience and error that I’ve tried not to repeat in future gatherings with people from different locations.

Side note, I did visit Graceland, and based in the decor, there was definitely drugs involved ;) in some of the choices.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
CBB325AF-B4D9-4806-B0BC-E0333D88D5DF.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Our former house had narrow stairs with a turn preventing our queen bed going upstairs. Our only question to the sellers at settlement was “How did you get your queen bed upstairs” they said 2 ropes were used to pull it up onto the porch roof! Then thru a door.

Oof. Yes, the (extensive) list of requirements for the next house include roomy stairs and, ideally, a walk-in basement. BF's fervent wish for a freight elevator will likely be unrequited until we win the lottery ;-)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oof. Yes, the (extensive) list of requirements for the next house include roomy stairs and, ideally, a walk-in basement. BF's fervent wish for a freight elevator will likely be unrequited until we win the lottery ;-)

The first time we bought furniture (back in ~1988) the delivery guys tell me, "This dresser won't fit up the stairs. We are going to have to leave it in the living room." :nono:

I gave them $50 bucks (more like a 100 today) to figure it out. We removed an upstairs window over the driveway. They backed the truck up under it. One guy stood on the bumper of the truck and lifted it over his head (impressively strong -- I can barely tip the thing) and another guy in the window took it from him and brought it into the house.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The first time we bought furniture (back in ~1988) the delivery guys tell me, "This dresser won't fit up the stairs. We are going to have to leave it in the living room." :nono:

I gave them $50 bucks (more like a 100 today) to figure it out. We removed an upstairs window over the driveway. They backed the truck up under it. One guy stood on the bumper of the truck and lifted it over his head (impressively strong -- I can barely tip the thing) and another guy in the window took it from him and brought it into the house.

OSHA approved!

Reactions: Ogg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok, I was in Memphis late ‘80s and we talk about elevator inspection safety and the need to shut off power. Mind you power, electricity and Hydro all meant the same to me when used in the presentation/conversation by others. I used Hydro as it was second nature, which lead to some confusion for the rest.

So on the bus ride to dinner I got asked why is the water in the elevator machine room and replied sarcastically its not water its Hydro all knowingly and pointed outside, like in the Hydro lines outside. More confusion for the others and frustration for me. Where was asked? You know the poles with the wires on them, thinking boy are they dumb until they said you mean power lines, yes exactly was my reply. Whereupon a reply came back so why to you say Hydro and my light went on...... Electricity generated by a dam.....Hydro Electricity (AKA power from Niagara Falls) or in short form HYDRO, they hadn’t made the connection (until I explained it).

Funny how localized language can lead to misunderstand. Extremely funny but definitely a valuable learning experience and error that I’ve tried not to repeat in future gatherings with people from different locations.

Side note, I did visit Graceland, and based in the decor, there was definitely drugs involved ;) in some of the choices.
Don't tell an Australian you are "rooting for [your favorite team]". It will lead to them taking the piss out of you for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online