• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Find yourself a good used pair of Kastle FX 94's and ride one of the best big mountain, all purpose skis ever built.
Spent the leftover money on faithless women, booze and drugs like Hunter S. Thompson would do.
One of the best "less is more" skis.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Returning to the sport after a lengthy hiatus. My last boards were very long, very skinny and very fast.

I'm not the ski gear expert others are, but you should really try out at least a few different styles and widths. You might find that you like a little metal or a little wider. Things have changed since long skinny fast skis of yesteryear.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Both are great skis but different. Plus are we talking the Alchemist 94 or the Foundation construction? The Endurance is a modern 98 with a gradual rise 128mm tip and a bit of rise in the tail. The HDT addresses what you need to tackle hard snow. The DPS is a longer extended tip rise but a mre traditional tail.

The Foundation Cassiar 94...both your reviews and Blister Reviews give these very positive reviews:

“They are not a straight-up charger (neither is the Enforcer 100), but they are a ski that a whole lot of skiers — from low intermediates to experts — are going to enjoy.” Blister Review

“I wil reiterate, if you are looking for a ski in the mid 90mm for mixed conditions and you want some uniqueness, the Cassiar 94 NEEDS to be on yoru short list.” PugSki

Seems like a ski that “everyone” would get along with and very few complaints or negatives...appears to be a very universal 1-ski quiver-daily driver?

Kastle & Stockli seem to have a great following, with everyone talking about their smooth-premium feel...but for a low-intermediate to intermediate would they be more challenging (flatter tail section - tip rocker - camber vs. rocker-camber-rocker) for someone still building their technical skills than the DPS FC94?

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I just keep coming back to the Liberty skis … Evolv 90, V92 and Origin 96. I'm also stuck on Blizzard Brahma 88 and Rustler 9, as well as the Nordica Enforcer 93.

I think if I picked a ski based solely on the way I have always preferred to ski, it would be the Brahma 88, Mindbender 90 or V92.

I think if I selected a ski on how I'd like to envision myself skiing at some point, it would be something a little wider and more playful like the Origin 96 or Rustler 9.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Rustler 9 is a more interesting shape than the Origin 96- a standard pogo stick. Had no interest in that ski.
Doesn’t the Evolve sort of split the difference to the Brahma?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
What have you demoed so far? I wouldn't commit to a genre of ski until you have tried something in 80ish, 90ish and 100ish in all kinds of conditions. If you have been pieced back together, those wide skis will play havoc on your body and wear you out in a hurry on hardpack and icy conditions. We all dream of bottomless powder and hero snow groomers, but mother nature is fickle. If you spend most of your time on groomers, 88 would be the upper end of what I'd be looking at. If you can demo a Deacon 84, Brahma 82, Brahma 88 and Kendo, try them against a 100mm ski on groomers and see how each style treats your body and your experience. After a long time off, it's also far easier to adjust on a narrower ski than a surfboard.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
What have you demoed so far? I wouldn't commit to a genre of ski until you have tried something in 80ish, 90ish and 100ish in all kinds of conditions. If you have been pieced back together, those wide skis will play havoc on your body and wear you out in a hurry on hardpack and icy conditions. We all dream of bottomless powder and hero snow groomers, but mother nature is fickle. If you spend most of your time on groomers, 88 would be the upper end of what I'd be looking at. If you can demo a Deacon 84, Brahma 82, Brahma 88 and Kendo, try them against a 100mm ski on groomers and see how each style treats your body and your experience. After a long time off, it's also far easier to adjust on a narrower ski than a surfboard.
Yeah, this is what everyone around Seattle is telling me, but they follow that up with, “You really do need to be at least 90mm under foot around here, and closer to 100mm is even better.” I think this is why the Liberty v92 and Evolv 90 are speaking to me, as many reviews (especially the v92) say these skis are very comfortable and feel “skinnier” for folks coming back to the sport. Something that feels vaguely like my old GS skis but is 90+ in width and relatively forgiving could be the ticket.

James

Out There
Instructor
Kastle MX 99 or older 98. - Traditional feel.

Rossi Experience 94 - very different, not as gs like. More of an all arounder. Nice compromise design. If your big and chargey, may not be enough.

I don’t know how a Liberty vmt series with the stupidly low tips would be in the PNW.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Yeah, this is what everyone around Seattle is telling me, but they follow that up with, “You really do need to be at least 90mm under foot around here, and closer to 100mm is even better.” I think this is why the Liberty v92 and Evolv 90 are speaking to me, as many reviews (especially the v92) say these skis are very comfortable and feel “skinnier” for folks coming back to the sport.

People who think wide skis feel skinny have a healthy body and have never been on an actual performance front side or race ski or it's been a long time since they have. Getting out on a firm day on a 90-100mm ski to see what it does to your body is a worthwhile experiment before committing to one.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
People who think wide skis feel skinny have a healthy body and have never been on an actual performance front side or race ski or it's been a long time since they have. Getting out on a firm day on a 90-100mm ski to see what it does to your body is a worthwhile experiment before committing to one.
I understand that quite well. I’m just not sure that this area gives you much of a choice. Crud and heavy, wet snow are pervasive and even the best snow days can deteriorate rapidly into these conditions.

The shops in the area are putting even barely intermediate skiers into 92-98 boards to help them plow through the crud.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, I decided to drop down a bit in width to the high 80s. This should be an easier transition and all these skis should absolutely RIP groomers when that type of skiing is available. I can pick up some wider skis as I get my legs back and see what I do and do not like. I am going to demo the following:

Blizzard Brahma 88 - 180cm
K2 Mindbender 90 Ti - 177cm or 184cm ???

Liberty Evolv90 - 179cm or 186cm ???
Nordica Enforcer 88 - 179cm
Rossignol Experience 88 Ti - 180cm

I am sure I'll find something I like out of these five, as they all get great reviews. All seem to be good "all-mountain" skis, as well, and should handle crud and heavy snow about as well as any 88-90cm ski can.

My only questions would be, I'm 183cm tall and 235 lbs, are these the right lengths? Most manufacturers are recommending these types of skis at around 4-5cm under your height. I am thinking around 180cm is about right at 88mm under foot, but could a go a it longer in 90mm?

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Enforcer 88s (and 100s) in 186cm. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs and find them moderately stiff and damp. NOT overly stiff, so good in various conditions and various speeds.

I think the Rustler 9 might be too soft for your size. Experts feel free to weigh in.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I love my Enforcer 88s (and 100s) in 186cm. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs and find them moderately stiff and damp. NOT overly stiff, so good in various conditions and various speeds.

I think the Rustler 9 might be too soft for your size. Experts feel free to weigh in.
My thoughts exactly on Rustler 9. Brahma 88 might be too much ski, though.

Would you say Enforcer 88 is more forgiving than Brahma 88?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand that quite well. I’m just not sure that this area gives you much of a choice. Crud and heavy, wet snow are pervasive and even the best snow days can deteriorate rapidly into these conditions.

The shops in the area are putting even barely intermediate skiers into 92-98 boards to help them plow through the crud.

But ski construction makes a difference, too. A damp ski with a more tapered tip will help you move through crud. Some wider skis that are less damp can still get tossed around. I don’t ski in the PNW, but I’m throwing this out there because here in the East, when it snows, it’s often heavy and wet and turns to crud very quickly. I would think a ski that’s 88-90 with the right construction could work well.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My thoughts exactly on Rustler 9. Brahma 88 might be too much ski, though.

Would you say Enforcer 88 is more forgiving than Brahma 88?

I would say yes, but I haven't skied the Brahma.

I believe that @Josh Matta has. Perhaps he will weigh in.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But ski construction makes a difference, too. A damp ski with a more tapered tip will help you move through crud. Some wider skis that are less damp can still get tossed around. I don’t ski in the PNW, but I’m throwing this out there because here in the East, when it snows, it’s often heavy and wet and turns to crud very quickly.

Why aren’t you considering the Mindbender? EDIT: Never mind, it’s on your list. Sorry!

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Why aren’t you considering the Mindbender? EDIT: Never mind, it’s on your list. Sorry!
I am!

I'm also considering going all the way up to 106mm underfoot. The more I talk to folks around here (and the resorts I am likely to travel to for multi-day trips), I just think 90mm might be a little skinny. More like 93 - 106 would be better, depending on ski. The issue is with the 90-98s in powder and crud and the 98-106s on hard groomers. I am looking for the Holy Grail!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
RENOUN Z-90's AMAZING SKI Can be your 1 ski quiver
I have the Z90 and it is my daily driver. For what the OP describes, I’d want the Endurance. That said an ON3P Woodsman 96 would be the first recommendation I’d make. The Mindbender is another option.

Sponsor

Staff online