• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its been a very long time since I've thought about a pealess whistle, but the recent thread about the tree well death and @cantunamunch's post about being "audible" made me think again about having a pealess whistle handy when tree skiing.
I have one around here somewhere, maybe time to dig it out and start keeping it handy.

Having been in that exact situation, I can tell you - it was up to me to a) clear a breathing space b) find "up" - in this case it was behind the small of my back c) dig "up" to find daylight and d) yell and holler for approx. 45 minutes until someone made it above me.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Very good idea...and an idea that was just shared to me recently by a stranger in the woods (yea, I realize how creepy that sounds when I read it back).

I feel like after a creepy comment like that, I need to explain myself...Couple weeks ago, we got some fresh snow, I took the day off of work and headed out for first chair. Met a stranger on the first lift that realized I knew the mountain well, and he asked if I minded if he followed me for a few runs since he didn't know the mountain well. I agreed as long as he could keep up (after all it was a powder day). He kept up, so we rode the whole day together. At one point in a discussion about skiing woods alone, he pulled a whistle out of his pocket, and mentioned he and his son always keep one accessible "just in case".

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
he pulled a whistle out of his pocket, and mentioned he and his son always keep one accessible "just in case".
One of the things I heard several years ago was that you need to keep the whistle on the outside of your jacket. Having it in a pocket isn't necessarily easily accessible.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IIRC a pealess whistle may have saved @Freaq's life a few years ago at MJ

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I keep mine on my pass lanyard.
Most skiers with packs hook it to the shoulder strap.

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
I always try to have one with me, especially after snagging on a tree root last spring, hitting a tree, and getting the wind knocked out of me. I just bought a 6-pack of loud whistles from Amazon for $11.99. Seems like a good investment. Also, most packs have whistles build in to the sternum strap buckle.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fox 40 whistle is my personal favorite. Used one for many years when I was a soccer ref and it's a stupid loud whistle and is quite inexpensive. Most of my backpacks now have a pealess whistle built into the chest strap which is nice too.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Fox 40 whistle is my personal favorite. Used one for many years when I was a soccer ref and it's a stupid loud whistle and is quite inexpensive. Most of my backpacks now have a pealess whistle built into the chest strap which is nice too.

Same one is attached to my backcountry pack every day.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've got one labeled ACS, meets USCG requirements (whatever they are). I confess to having it around my neck where it's not very accessible, but I haven't done much daring stuff the last two years.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Fox 40. Standard for many rescue missions where being audible doesn't mean a bad guy shooting you..

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
IIRC a pealess whistle may have saved @Freaq's life a few years ago at MJ
Well, I did purchase a bunch of pealess whistles from Friends of Berthoud Pass many years ago and my friends and I have worn them every ski day since. Happy to report that only one of us has ever had a reason to use it, that was me when I skied pretty fast into a tree. My head was spared but I took considerable impact to my ribs. It knocked the breath out of me and made it difficult to breath for weeks afterward. Once I assessed that I was able to move but unable to extricate myself from the base of the tree (not really a well) the first thing I did was bring my whistle to my lips..... but was only able to muster enough force to bring forth the most pathetic of tweets.

Better than a whistle would have been to follow basic common sense practices like skiing that type of terrain with a partner or not skiing so fast in the woods. Luckily a group came along and helped me hook up with patrol and a toboggan ride. Still have a wonky rib from that one.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have several of those FOBP whistles, too. And a Fox 40 from my soccer ref days. That said, I prefer a whistle with a pea, as I can hear them better than those without. Technique helps, too - block the breath with the tongue until you build up considerable pressure then release. Think Winton Marsalis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I did purchase a bunch of pealess whistles from Friends of Berthoud Pass many years ago and my friends and I have worn them every ski day since. Happy to report that only one of us has ever had a reason to use it, that was me when I skied pretty fast into a tree. My head was spared but I took considerable impact to my ribs. It knocked the breath out of me and made it difficult to breath for weeks afterward. Once I assessed that I was able to move but unable to extricate myself from the base of the tree (not really a well) the first thing I did was bring my whistle to my lips..... but was only able to muster enough force to bring forth the most pathetic of tweets.

Better than a whistle would have been to follow basic common sense practices like skiing that type of terrain with a partner or not skiing so fast in the woods. Luckily a group came along and helped me hook up with patrol and a toboggan ride. Still have a wonky rib from that one.

Maybe switch to an electric whistle? Though then you have to keep track of whether or not the batteries are good...

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I too carry the Fox 40.

I also have a Storm Whistle as a backup, which is, apparently, the loudest whistle in the world. The downside is that the storm is noticeably bigger than the Fox 40. The upside is that it really is one of the loudest things I've ever heard, and I gotta imagine it's audible for acres and acres as long as I don't go deaf blowing it.

I keep either one in an easy to reach jacket pocket, but I like the idea of attaching to my backpack shoulder strap. Gonna try that next time out.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I do keep my very loud whistle in a coat pocket. It is however inside my upper inside breast Velcro pocket of my Salomon coat that is always going to be easy to get at by simply lowering my front zipper a bit. And note I added one of those elastic pony tail hair loops to the front zipper pull so it is easy to grab and by feel noticeable as my coat has a lot of zippers. Also would advise attaching a loop one can slip a gloved hand through to an otherwise loose ski whistle as upside down in a tree well is awkward where one is apt to drop a whistle and lose it.

ski-whistle.jpg

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hill Hosts at W/B are giving them away this year, Good reason for a return trip later in the year!!!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
my backpack has a whistle in the front clasp. trouble is I don't always use it.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use whistles for fishing, camping, kayaking etc. Never thought I needed one for skiing until I read this thread. I just bought three of the Storm whistles. I bought them for my wife and myself. I purchased the second loudest one as it is supposed to be a little easier to blow. Purchased a 3 pack for $12.90 free ship Ebay. I will also use them for my other activities rather than the ones I am now using as they should be louder. This site always has great information to help me in my buying decisions. Reviews etc.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I too carry the Fox 40.

I also have a Storm Whistle as a backup, which is, apparently, the loudest whistle in the world. The downside is that the storm is noticeably bigger than the Fox 40. The upside is that it really is one of the loudest things I've ever heard, and I gotta imagine it's audible for acres and acres as long as I don't go deaf blowing it.

I keep either one in an easy to reach jacket pocket, but I like the idea of attaching to my backpack shoulder strap. Gonna try that next time out.
Thanks for this reply. I just bought a Storm 3-pack because you stated you use one.

Sponsor

Staff online