• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
What does everyone think will be the best option south of shasta/lassen for some August turns next weekend? Leavitt/Sonora, Round top or the nipple? Or something else? I've been going down to Mammoth so haven't been paying much attention to the snow cover up north.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Highland Lakes, Hiram Peak, July 29, 2019

Penny enjoying a panoramic view from the top of the Triangle Patch
hlhp800IMG1670pano072919.jpg

Zooey and Penny follow Stev on the Lake Patch
hlhp800IMG6709crcr072919.jpg

Looking back at Hiram Peak and four of the five patches I skied
hlhp800IMG5820crcr072919.jpg

More here: http://patchskiing.com/hlhp072919.htm

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
What does everyone think will be the best option south of shasta/lassen for some August turns next weekend? Leavitt/Sonora, Round top or the nipple? Or something else? I've been going down to Mammoth so haven't been paying much attention to the snow cover up north.

Leavitt might be good, but the road to get there is usually pretty challenging, even with a high clearance 4WD vehicle.
Sonora was pretty suncupped when I skied there at the beginning of the month and I'd guess it's even more suncupped now.
Round Top looks like it still has a lot of snow. However, the approach is relatively longer than other locations.
The Nipple is still holding up well and provides ripe low hanging fruit (short approach.)
Highland Lakes, Hiram Peak also provides ripe low hanging fruit (see my post above.)
Dunderberg Peak looked great a week ago, but I'm not sure how far you can make it up the road.
The Forestdale Patches are also an option, but I haven't been there yet this summer.
There are plenty of other good options after the great winter we had, it just depends an what type of ski experience you would like.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thoughts on the best patchskiing in the Front Range/Summit County areas in the next week or so (other than St Mary’s). Was thinking Jones Pass would be decent?

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Blackwood Canyon, August 8, 2019
Since they finally opened the gate on the road, we decided to explore Blackwood Canyon. We skied 11 runs, honoring Nigel Tufnel, on 5 different snow patches.

Zooey is so excited that she is levitating when she sees Spence on our first run of the day
bc080819IMG9790crcr080819.jpg

Multiple beams light the way for Stev
bc800IMG2460cr080819.jpg

Spence
bc800IMG8456crcr080819.jpg

Zooey and Stev
bc800IMG2638crcr080819.jpg

More here: http://patchskiing.com/bc080819.htm

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Highland Lakes, Folger Peak, Hiram Peak, August 10, 2019

We skied below the peaks on both sides of Highland Lakes. We started on the lower backside of Folger Peak and finished off the day on the lower frontside of Hiram Peak.

Spence skiing the backside of Folger Peak. Hiram Peak can be seen in the background.
hlfphp800IMG2028cr081019.jpg

Stev skiing toward Highland Lakes
hlfpfp800IMG6821crcr081019.jpg

More here: http://patchskiing.com/hlfphp081019.htm

Sponsor

Staff online