• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Overheard in the Lift Line

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It occurs to me that this kind of thing ought to be the REAL voting rights test. Forget the picture ID's, proof of residency, birth certificates, etc. If someone bites on this kind of "explanation", they should be disqualified from ever voting. For anything -- including dog catcher.

...of course then at least 1/2 of the current candidates for President would have no constituency (gratuitous political comment).
Stuck in the middle with you? Steelers Wheel

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But, my favorite lift conversation is this one. Our son spent a couple of seasons with the Jackson Hole Ski Club. One day, he's up at the village, and he's on the tram. He was about 19, but looked older, and I guess that he was wearing a JHSC jacket . I guess that he looked like he might have local knowledge.

A woman next to him says "Excuse me, but my friend and I were wondering if you knew at what elevation do deer turn into elk?"

My son doesn't miss a beat, and responds "Generally at about 6000 feet, that's why the Elk preserve is all Elk right now"

We have laughed so hard over the years at that. Stupid little thing, but it just cracks us up.

A close second is a woman and her teenaged daughter at Vail, in a Gondi. They are remarking on how bright the sun is. The daughter asked her mother "Is that the same sun that we have in Texas?"

Money does not buy brains.
And we share the roads and runs with these people! Yikes!
That's hilarious.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I generally mention to tourists that they came to Lake Tahoe at the right time, they are getting ready to drain the lake for spring cleaning (it's how the water stays so blue). A couple of times, people bit and asked questions like, "well, how long does it take to refill it?" I explain about the huge party weekend that everyone around the lake hosts. They all get out their hoses and run them into the lake to refill it. It is not really publicizes because it is kinda private, I probably said too much already, but the roads are closed because of all the hoses and people just walk from open houses to open house drinking and eating. It is truly a special weekend.
You are bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. I love it. My daughter would even be on to that little joke.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On a lift at Squaw, a gentleman(probably in his 70's) rode up with us and talked about how nice it was to turn his family business over to his kids, stating that he worked a few days here and there but only on weekends, so he could get out and ski mid week. He followed up with the comment, "Only the poor people ski on the weekends. Those poor people"
With the crowds we've seen this weekend, I'm inclined to bring this up again.
Only the poor people ski on the weekends. Those poor people.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
With the crowds we've seen this weekend, I'm inclined to bring this up again.
Only the poor people ski on the weekends. Those poor people.

Yup. I've got about 25 days in this year (as many as I had all of last season) and maybe 4 or 5 of them at most have been on the weekends at a resort. I'd much rather earn some turns in the backcountry than deal with those long lines and crazy parking. It's just not worth it.

Of course, I'm lucky I have a job where it's easy to work a lot of half days so I can ski and not take a whole vacation day off.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My all time favorite from a resort "shareholder" ... I don't like the new skis, too turny. I'm a straight down skier. :eek:

My 2nd favorite (from a 9 yr old). "I'm helping ski patrol today. They are going to bury me in a hole and then the rescue dog gets to find me and dig me out!" He was stoked! My thought was ... "and your parents allow this?!"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My 2nd favorite (from a 9 yr old). "I'm helping ski patrol today. They are going to bury me in a hole and then the rescue dog gets to find me and dig me out!" He was stoked! My thought was ... "and your parents allow this?!"
..it was their idea. :roflmao::roflmao:

Tracy Mcp

Tracy
Skier
In the lift line...
Northeast Coaster (couldn't dial in the accent) possibly trying to hit on me :huh:, keeps trying to strike up a conversation. Referring to my Arcteryx jacket, he asks " is that a pterodactyl?".
Uhhh, something like that.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Sometimes a person will ask where I've been skiing and I will tell them Home Run or Milky Way on the Otter Mt. Express. Oh ok. Here's a picture of the Otter Express.
Omx.jpg

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I have a running gag with one of Squaw's big mountain coaches about ripping Papoose. My daughter's in on it too. He'll tell her that he saw me getting big air over on Papoose. I'll ask him directions to Papoose. It's only funny due to repetition, like the Monty Python Spam humor.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Are we going to practice skiing 8's today?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I loaded a sixpack today in bookend formation with a lone boarder on headphones. I said hello but he couldn't hear me and we rode in silence. He unplugged halfway and asked: "Say bro...do you know how to get to the terrain park from here?" I looked at him, paused, and said "no." He plugged back in and complete silence resumed.

I really didn't know. This really happened.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
From up at the front near the bullwheel to 2-3 people not even in the corral... "HURRY UP, IT'S ALMOST OUR TURN!!!":doh:

Uncle-A

Skier
Not from the lift line but talking with friends the other day.

"You know the season is over when you can only ski the AM and have to go home and cut your lawn in the PM."

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not from the lift line but talking with friends the other day.

"You know the season is over when you can only ski the AM and have to go home and cut your lawn in the PM ride your mountain bike in the PM."

FIFY,

Uncle-A

Skier
Go for a bike ride would be nice but this time of year I have to cut my lawn at least once a week and I started cutting last Wednesday.

Sponsor

Staff online