• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Overheard in the Lift Line

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Or the ski shop or....

From a known ripper:

Yeah, the only reason I telly is to remind myself why I don't telly.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
While skiing with my oldest daughter yesterday midday-

"Some beast was tearing off laps uphill with a baby on his back - doesn't he know there's a chairlift?! Duhhh..."

image.jpeg

*before anyone freaks- I wedged the slowest 3 runs down before the lifts open up.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Do you find that pack comfortable? I can't imagine carrying my toddler on my back without a full frame pack (love my Osprey) but then I am a small torsoed woman and the weight distribution is really important.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On a chairlift with Philpug on retro day.
Other guy: you should demo some new skis. They're so much easier.
Philpug: nah, shaped skis are just a fad

TS
Freaq

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Okay, since you've gone from overheard to directly addressed....

Riding single, a young lady (early 20s, I'd say) joined me on the chair. After the usual are you local to Taos chit chat (she was, I'm not), she asked, "what's the weather today?" I pondered then responded, "It's a clear blue sky, there's almost no wind and it's somewhere between 20 and 25 degrees." She exclaimed, "Oh good! I'm gonna make sure it's just like this for the next time I go skiing."

Also, in the OP my telly/tele mistake just goes to show that I'm a chairlift bound alpine jong :)

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
Is that the latest color for the Adrenalin AT bindings? Those colors make them look like toys! (I hear they're great though).

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
On a supposedly "cold" day in Winter Park (by Colorado standards):

Elderly woman (a local?): Cold one out here today!
Me: Naw, I'm from Canada. I was thinking of just coming out in a t-shirt. This jacket's just to carry snacks.

You shoulda seen the look on her face hahaha :roflmao:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If you had those skis and could get those binding how could you not get them!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Rode up the lift at Snowmass on Thursday (i.e., after all the snow) with some guy. I asked him if he's been to Aspen before. Turns out he's an investment banker from San Diego who flies out regularly to his Aspen house. (Like, ok, you're in the "beyond rich" category. Got it).

I commented that the conditions earlier in the week when it did nothing-but-snow were "epic". He complained that the grooming was terrible earlier because all the new snow kept ruining it, so he was finally able to get outside now that the storm had passed, etc.

I realize that this phenomenon (i.e., most people don't actually enjoy powder) isn't new. But still.. the dude is obviously filthy rich. He could buy the ski school! :doh:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah...but even then, he'd have to WANT TO LEARN.

It's not always easy for folks who are used to having things go their way all the time. :eyeroll:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Rode up the lift at Snowmass on Thursday (i.e., after all the snow) with some guy. I asked him if he's been to Aspen before. Turns out he's an investment banker from San Diego who flies out regularly to his Aspen house. (Like, ok, you're in the "beyond rich" category. Got it).

I found out recently that one of my super fun ski buddies is in this category. Fortunately he is a ripping ski dude. And you'll be happy to know he participates in lessons (that's how I met him). One of the things I love about the skiing community is the wide range of people I get to know - from "dirtbag" skiers to the very wealthy. We're all in it for the love of skiing.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Rode up the lift at Snowmass on Thursday (i.e., after all the snow) with some guy. I asked him if he's been to Aspen before. Turns out he's an investment banker from San Diego who flies out regularly to his Aspen house. (Like, ok, you're in the "beyond rich" category. Got it). :doh:

About 10 years ago, I managed to squeeze in a couple of days in Park City to watch our oldest racing {we're from New England}, after at business trip to SF. I'm on the hill both days, and I meet a very nice guy and his wife who are doing the same. Race parents. They live in SF. They own a home at Deer Valley. They aren't obnoxious at all. Far from it. Really very nice.

I'm on the phone with my wife, and later with the airlines, as Logan is a nightmare with a Northeast storm. My flight is cancelled, and I don't have a seat for Monday yet. Things are a mess, but they'll work out. Hmmm. This guy can't help but follow the conversation, and he apologizes for being so close. I laugh and say, "Don't apologize at all. It happens. Just dealing with life next to the ocean in the winter!"

Then he says: "I have to be in NYC tomorrow for a 2PM meeting. Why don't you fly east with me, and I'll have my guys fly us to Logan and drop you off, then I'll shoot down to the city. As long as I'm there to meet a car at about noon, I'm good." Gee, I guess....,,

He had a serious jet, and two awesome pilots. I have no idea what that "swing" to Boston cost him, but it wasn't cheap. I sent him a bunch of live lobster for his family and "his guys." We've remained friends since. Pretty amazing on the hill conversation. I went into the office, when we were a lot less casual, in jeans, boots, fleece and everybody was kidding me. Then I simply said, "you wouldn't believe how I hitchhiked back here....."

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
But, my favorite lift conversation is this one. Our son spent a couple of seasons with the Jackson Hole Ski Club. One day, he's up at the village, and he's on the tram. He was about 19, but looked older, and I guess that he was wearing a JHSC jacket . I guess that he looked like he might have local knowledge.

A woman next to him says "Excuse me, but my friend and I were wondering if you knew at what elevation do deer turn into elk?"

My son doesn't miss a beat, and responds "Generally at about 6000 feet, that's why the Elk preserve is all Elk right now"

We have laughed so hard over the years at that. Stupid little thing, but it just cracks us up.

A close second is a woman and her teenaged daughter at Vail, in a Gondi. They are remarking on how bright the sun is. The daughter asked her mother "Is that the same sun that we have in Texas?"

Money does not buy brains.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I commented that the conditions earlier in the week when it did nothing-but-snow were "epic". He complained that the grooming was terrible earlier because all the new snow kept ruining it, so he was finally able to get outside now that the storm had passed, etc.

I realize that this phenomenon (i.e., most people don't actually enjoy powder) isn't new. But still.. the dude is obviously filthy rich. He could buy the ski school! :doh:

Crazy! If I were that rich I would be cat or heli skiing in the backcountry.

But somehow powder gets destroyed even in tight trees in short order at most any Colorado resort. In Vail we are talking in about 2 hours or less all main runs and maybe till the end of the day in the trees. The lower the angle of the slope the more it lasts. (The flat Mongolia Bowls pow last for days cause boarders get stuck on the runout!)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On a lift at Squaw, a gentleman(probably in his 70's) rode up with us and talked about how nice it was to turn his family business over to his kids, stating that he worked a few days here and there but only on weekends, so he could get out and ski mid week. He followed up with the comment, "Only the poor people ski on the weekends. Those poor people"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I generally mention to tourists that they came to Lake Tahoe at the right time, they are getting ready to drain the lake for spring cleaning (it's how the water stays so blue). A couple of times, people bit and asked questions like, "well, how long does it take to refill it?" I explain about the huge party weekend that everyone around the lake hosts. They all get out their hoses and run them into the lake to refill it. It is not really publicizes because it is kinda private, I probably said too much already, but the roads are closed because of all the hoses and people just walk from open houses to open house drinking and eating. It is truly a special weekend.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I generally mention to tourists that they came to Lake Tahoe at the right time, they are getting ready to drain the lake for spring cleaning (it's how the water stays so blue). A couple of times, people bit and asked questions like, "well, how long does it take to refill it?" I explain about the huge party weekend that everyone around the lake hosts. They all get out their hoses and run them into the lake to refill it. It is not really publicizes because it is kinda private, I probably said too much already, but the roads are closed because of all the hoses and people just walk from open houses to open house drinking and eating. It is truly a special weekend.
It occurs to me that this kind of thing ought to be the REAL voting rights test. Forget the picture ID's, proof of residency, birth certificates, etc. If someone bites on this kind of "explanation", they should be disqualified from ever voting. For anything -- including dog catcher.

...of course then at least 1/2 of the current candidates for President would have no constituency (gratuitous political comment).

Sponsor

Staff online