• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Not New, but certainly felt that way yesterday at Park City

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
“or when I tried to take a more active carve-like stance I'd end up toofar over my skis”

I’m not sure what to mean here.

Regarding stance in ungroomed soft snow, it really is similar to bumps and groomed. You know how trees grow vertical on a steep slope? DONT be like that. Work on being perpendicular to the slope with your skis under you (binding toes under your belly and your toe pieces under your butt. Bend your knees and ankles. Keep your core slightly flexed and ready like in basketball. Think about maintaining your core’s momentum down the mountain. Speed, pitch and momentum really help in soft snow.

I took a screen shot from a video of me from yesterday in fairly heavy new snow to illustrate. Instructors please chime in if I have this wrong!
6ED288E3-D564-4119-9D28-61F7AEA08F93.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
BillyGoat

BillyGoat

Booting up
Skier
"drop down to intermediate in the afternoon once my knee and quads start whimpering."
A strong sign that you're sitting back even when you don't know it.

"How do I learn how to deal with mounds of snow and powder without taking out another ACL?? I was constantly either in the backseat, or when I tried to take a more active carve-like stance I'd end up too far over my skis."
I agree with the comments above in posts 5 & 6. And, the boots are soft for you, and the skis short/soft, but that should make things easier if you're not hammering the hill too hard. For boot size, "shell-fitting" has you remove the liner, put your foot in with the toes lightly touching the end, and you want no more than 5/8 to 3/4" of room at the heel and 2 to 3 mm of room on the sides when you peel the foot flaps back.

We need a video of your skiing on a moderate run where you do OK. And on a run were you don't do so OK. Stance is always the first thing to work on. Try your feet walking width apart where you body has been balancing itself since you were a year or so old. Try to stay loosely on the balls of your feet all the time, except maybe at the end of turns you can get to centered, never back on your heels. Make some easy runs just concentrating on the feeling of where the pressure is on the soles of your feet. Never heavy on the inside foot. Never back on the heels. When you are balanced on the ball of your outside foot note how much you feel your shin against the cuff. That's your gauge to known when you're in balance. If you need to struggle to get here, you need a boot alignment job from a good fitter.

Now look to some youtube videos about beginning carving, about rolling your skis on edge so those skis slice through the snow like a carving knife, not pushed sideways against the snow like a butter knife. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carving+skiing+technique+for+beginners (Some of these are of different levels; start easy and work your way up.)

For moguls, a couple of things. Don't get back on your heels. Don't lean toward the hill. Either one and you're doomed. Stay on the balls of your feet balanced over your skis. Keep your arms loosely a bit out and a bit forward for balance. As you crest over a bump strongly pull both feet back to bring your ski tips down to the snow. Rule of thumb...if your ski tips are in contact with the snow you have the opportunity for control. Start small. If the bumps & ruts are small use the sides of the bumps and ruts like a race car goes around a banked track; use the banking to turn on. If the bumps are a bit bigger practice a curving sideslip down the side of them. Always balance as described above. Practice, practice, practice.
thanks so much for the detailed suggestions! Love this site ...

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
6 feet tall 200 lb on a 167? I'd try it again on say a 179 or even 186. I'm only 5'8" on a tall day and I'd be on +- 180 in a soft snow ski

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It is all about stance. Same / same on ice or powder or bumps. Physics do not change. However your tactics do change. It is about the sensations you are capturing from your feet. Skiing is simple. Talking about it makes it complicated. Therefore I simply do not engage in technique discussions on-line - unless a Zoom meeting with instructors.

In scanning responses a number of people have suggested stiffer boots. I could not disagree more. If you want your balance to come from external sources - if you want to be a poser - by all means - get stiffer boots. If you want to become a true advanced skier, focus on internal balance - that is honing your body's own abilities. Countless times this winter, when teaching people such as yourself in soft bumps and tracked up powder, my boots were totally unbuckled. That sense of what feedback your feet are providing can be honed while waiting in line at the grocery store. Ultimately, the skis and boots don't matter much, if your feet are doing the most efficient thing. Different skis and boots will provide different sensations, but you are the driver. Be the boss of your skis. Don't let the skis be your boss.

Yes to lessons and coaching. However you do not need to spend a fortune. I'd suggest looking at a weekday group lesson. Chances are there will only be a few, or you in the group. IME, my best lessons are when I have a few students of similar skill level. Amazing learning takes place. Beyond that, it is up to you to internalize and practice what was taught. Going 15 - 20 times per year... it is tough to master movements unless you are skilled at visualization and do a lot of dry land training - and I am not talking about strength training. As Dr Anders Ericcson stated, Deliberate practice is what you do with your coach. Purposeful practice is what you do in a self guided environment. Get that deliberate practice with your instructor, then go out and hone the things that you need to work on. If you vibe with your instructor, get their contact info so that you can bounce thoughts off of him. Hand them a $100 as a tip to demonstrate that you are serious about this. Re book after going out and drilling for a number of days.

This is year 60 for me. I still devote 10 - 20 days in clinics and camps to hone my craft. It is a journey.

Best to you.

Sponsor

Staff online