• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northeast Thread

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Guess we ought to have one of these, too. Not that there's much happening. K-mart has a run or two open, as does Monday . . . Sunday River.

I was talking to Bill Haight at GMOL today, and he was allowing as how we'd had two good years and that the west was due. Agreed.

But I can't be blamed for jonesing.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
According to the snow report, Killington had power problems today - didn't make it the full day. Looks like they plan to have it fixed for tomorrow.

Not a good start for the east. Thanksgiving does not look promising for most areas to have any decent amount of terrain open.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
In New England you must be patient! I don't even THINK about it till December and most years it's the second or third week @ that.
I want to be on actual snow, as well as a dozen plus runs top to bottom. Or else it simply isn't worth the 5 hours of driving.

I make up for missing the WROD by still skiing in April when others move on to whacking little balls into gopher holes.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Sorry about the drive — my ski commute's 50 minutes, and at this point, I'd ski anything. Maybe not K-mart.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine is 6+ hours. I'm not patient. The sooner the WROD gets going, the sooner we get better stuff.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I cleaned my eavestroughs out today in a t-shirt. My ma got snow up in Muskoka yesterday morning but it's gone now. Could be a slow start. We've had two icebox winters in a row..I'm ok with a normal winter this year! :D

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Sorry about the drive — my ski commute's 50 minutes, and at this point, I'd ski anything. Maybe not K-mart.

Well I do have a small area 4 minutes from my house...but that's mostly for after work skiing.
And the 5 hrs. is total drive time up and back fwiw

scott43

Skier
Well I do have a small area 4 minutes from my house...but that's mostly for after work skiing.
And the 5 hrs. is total drive time up and back fwiw

We have a "hill" about 10 mins away...t-bars only I think..it's a former landfill..we call it Mount Trashmore...I confess my son will probably take his first runs there.. :(

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Skis are prepped, the summer wax scraped off, and bases brushed. Boots tinkered with this morning. Tapping my fingers and watching J. F. Beaulieu, Paul Lorenz, and Reilly McGlashan tear up Kitzsteinhorn.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Last year didn't really start snowing until January 27th. Yes the season did start early, but all the snow we had started on that day.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Picked up my pass today, so I'm ready for the WROD at Bristol. Looks like at least a couple of weeks though. Oh well. have to keep biking.........:)

phatskier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
3 hours to SVT, i doubt i'll ski before Christmas week.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Last year didn't really start snowing until January 27th. Yes the season did start early, but all the snow we had started on that day.

True, but it was colder early. Last year my first day was November 28th; I'd skied quite a few days before January showed up — the best of those early days, it rained all day. The first day of the previous season was November 12 — it was nearly bulletproof, but it was good. This year, Thanksgiving opening looks unlikely most places.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington was great and close to 100% open last year after one big storm in mid-December.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
True, but it was colder early. Last year my first day was November 28th; I'd skied quite a few days before January showed up — the best of those early days, it rained all day. The first day of the previous season was November 12 — it was nearly bulletproof, but it was good. This year, Thanksgiving opening looks unlikely most places.

Agreed. My first day last year was 11/21. I got in 5 days by the end of November. I'm still hoping for the day after Thanksgiving at Wachusett, we'll see.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I cleaned my eavestroughs out today in a t-shirt. My ma got snow up in Muskoka yesterday morning but it's gone now. Could be a slow start. We've had two icebox winters in a row..I'm ok with a normal winter this year! :D
Well can't say I mind not having another icebox winter up there but I sure am counting on it getting started. My son posted pictures of Barrie with a yard full of snow this past weekend, are you telling me it's gotten warm again? Darn I was going to head up to the Detroit area next weekend with Older Boot and see if i could find some snow anywhere within a few hours to turn on. ;o(. Now I am assuming the Muskoka's you mention are the Ontario, Muskoka's and they don't have those somewhere else, that and the past two ice box winters lead me to that conclusion.

I did manage to get an afternoon in yesterday on the one open run at Cataloochee, Maggie Valley, North Carolina though. Felt sooo good to get some turns in even if it was very limited.

scott43

Skier
As Jilly says..it's forecast to be 14C in Collingwood Wednesday..so whatever is there is now gone. Dropping near freezing during the day starting this weekend but I think they'd be hard-pressed to have anything open before Dec 1. And even then..we have awesome snowmaking but mother nature has to cooperate.

Sponsor