• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
YouTube chose most of the music so it is possible you'd get better suggestions for their robot.

Wow, that is cool! I have to try that. Maybe start with my Wedge Christie takes. :)

for those who want to improve their skiing, I'd say there is a lot that can be attained with very few days on snow

Yeah! Did someone mention that before here at Pugski? Or, maybe I'm recalling something Mikaela Shiffrin observed. A lot of folks make some turns on short steeper sections, then straight-line it back to the lift, missing a lot of opportunities to arc a turn. Me, I'm always holding friends and my children up ( I purposefully didn't include my wife in the comparison) making two, three times, or more turns than they did. Whatever learning style there is or isn't, nothing substitutes for repetition.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, I forgot to mention in my original note... for those who don't know... I primarily ski on weekends - skiing anywhere from 30 to 40 days per season. So for those who want to improve their skiing, I'd say there is a lot that can be attained with very few days on snow... meaning you don't have to log 100+ days per season for multiple years to reach high levels of performance.
That is impressive. How do you spend those days? Divided between e.g. focused high end skiing like in the clips, turns with less force, drills, coaching..?
What do you train the other 5 days?

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Me, I'm always holding friends and my children up ( I purposefully didn't include my wife in the comparison) making two, three times, or more turns than they did. Whatever learning style there is or isn't, nothing substitutes for repetition.
Me too, when I ski with "normal" friends I always use 30m GS skis or similar, and I still make more turns with more traverse.

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Tippin’ and rrrrripppin’ heluva!!!!!!

zenny

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
That is impressive. How do you spend those days? Divided between e.g. focused high end skiing like in the clips, turns with less force, drills, coaching..?
What do you train the other 5 days?

When I’m on snow I spend my mornings on steeper terrain skiing on race skis, going pretty hard. Once my legs and back start to tire out (sometimes one goes before the other) I’ll head in for lunch and relax a bit. I then go back out after lunch but rarely ski black terrain, and almost always on more mellow skis and boots (e.g. 140 flex vs. 160; all-mountain skis or consumer race skis e.g. Fischer WC RC). I only dabble in coaching these days when it is convenient for me (vs. being bound to it), and usually that would happen in the afternoon.

In between ski days I’m at the gym. On short weeks (one after a 3-day weekend) I’ll do two days… On 5-day weeks I will do 3 gym days. I have a 4-day cycle for the gym, where every other day is a squat day (one full legs, one squats mixed with upper back) with the other two days being dead lifts / shoulders and chest. I keep this routine through the entire fall and winter… during the summer I spend 10-20 hours per week road cycling so the gym time is cut back. Usually my goal is to regain my strength (post-cycling) by November each year and maintain it through April of the following year.

I’m 5’7”, 150lbs. As-of when most of this video was taken I was squatting 250lbs, deadlifting 315lbs, benching 175lbs and overhead pressing 115lbs… plus a bunch of core work (I also regularly stretch for flexibility and mobility). I’m a bit above those numbers now, but not meaningfully. I’ve found that the stronger I become, the better I ski, AND experience less fatigue and less risk for bad crashes due to skier-error (plus when a crash does happen, I’m more durable).

That said, I still get very tired. After two or three days on snow, my legs and back are shot – especially if those days are spent making race turns (vs. powder/crud skiing which due to lack of G-force doesn’t beat up my body as much). By the end of a season I’m happy for it to be over as it does take a big toll on my body to do this week-in and week-out. Nothing I’ve ever done abuses my body like arcing high-performance turns on hard snow… I think it is the G-force, but it just feels like my body is being pulled inside-out.

Interestingly, I had a chat with a well-known demo skier Saturday who expressed the same feelings of fatigue… and this is a pro who skis 200+ days a year. He basically said, for performance skiing (if you’re skiing every day like he does) there is only a window of 2-4 runs per day that he can really ski hard… the rest of the time needs to be more relaxed or his body wears out. This is the same reason WC racers are only taking 4-8 runs per day when training hard… the body needs to recover. It is a brutal sport.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I’m on snow I spend my mornings on steeper terrain skiing on race skis, going pretty hard. Once my legs and back start to tire out (sometimes one goes before the other) I’ll head in for lunch and relax a bit. I then go back out after lunch but rarely ski black terrain, and almost always on more mellow skis and boots (e.g. 140 flex vs. 160; all-mountain skis or consumer race skis e.g. Fischer WC RC). I only dabble in coaching these days when it is convenient for me (vs. being bound to it), and usually that would happen in the afternoon.

In between ski days I’m at the gym. On short weeks (one after a 3-day weekend) I’ll do two days… On 5-day weeks I will do 3 gym days. I have a 4-day cycle for the gym, where every other day is a squat day (one full legs, one squats mixed with upper back) with the other two days being dead lifts / shoulders and chest. I keep this routine through the entire fall and winter… during the summer I spend 10-20 hours per week road cycling so the gym time is cut back. Usually my goal is to regain my strength (post-cycling) by November each year and maintain it through April of the following year.

I’m 5’7”, 150lbs. As-of when most of this video was taken I was squatting 250lbs, deadlifting 315lbs, benching 175lbs and overhead pressing 115lbs… plus a bunch of core work (I also regularly stretch for flexibility and mobility). I’m a bit above those numbers now, but not meaningfully. I’ve found that the stronger I become, the better I ski, AND experience less fatigue and less risk for bad crashes due to skier-error (plus when a crash does happen, I’m more durable).

That said, I still get very tired. After two or three days on snow, my legs and back are shot – especially if those days are spent making race turns (vs. powder/crud skiing which due to lack of G-force doesn’t beat up my body as much). By the end of a season I’m happy for it to be over as it does take a big toll on my body to do this week-in and week-out. Nothing I’ve ever done abuses my body like arcing high-performance turns on hard snow… I think it is the G-force, but it just feels like my body is being pulled inside-out.

Interestingly, I had a chat with a well-known demo skier Saturday who expressed the same feelings of fatigue… and this is a pro who skis 200+ days a year. He basically said, for performance skiing (if you’re skiing every day like he does) there is only a window of 2-4 runs per day that he can really ski hard… the rest of the time needs to be more relaxed or his body wears out. This is the same reason WC racers are only taking 4-8 runs per day when training hard… the body needs to recover. It is a brutal sport.

Thanks for the thorough response.

My status and ways of spending skiing time is quite similar to yours, except I spend a lot more days on snow. Weekdays are mostly coaching though so real skiing is limited to weekends and some extra days here and there.

I usually divide my high end skiing into short stretches of 30-60 secs so I don't fill the legs with lactic acid too often.

Agree fully with the tired/brutal/beat up/fatigue etc. In particular if the conditions are hard.

I only have one more week of skiing and the body really needs some recovery now...

Sponsor

Staff online