• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I loaded the videos below on YouTube a few days ago and thought I would share it with the group here. It has been a few years since I posted much video, so I wanted to use our good weather in March to try to capture different types of turns and some of my favorite drills that I use to produce the skiing. All are posted on my YouTube channel now, for those who are interested. Below are some of the clips of my actual skiing from this season. The first video contains all of the footage, but I've also split it up into the three turn-specific clips for those who are only interested in seeing one type of turn (next three videos).

Enjoy... no need for analysis, please.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Sweet power skiing.
Your hands tell the story, always where they should be.
Even when that guy nearly ran into you............
You got it going and are strong enough to make it work.
Not many folks around here train hard enough to do that.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great skiing @HeluvaSkier . No analysis, but IMO it would be great to see a bit more mixup, e.g. a few 13 m, a few 10, a long turn, some flushes, lane change, etc.

I'm curious. In some videos you seem to have a tad aggressive boot setup. How have you worked with this the last season(s)?

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@Mike King
I have a variety of pole lengths roughly 44" - 48"... The poles I'm using in most of these clips are a little less than 45". In lift lines and starts they are pretty short. I may play around with adjustable poles at some point, but it hasn't been enough of an issue yet to warrant purchasing a set.

@Jamt
I re-evaluated the boot setup early in the 2017 season. It didn't change this year, but both fore/aft and lateral are different from prior years (e.g. going back to 2016). I still mix my time between slightly abducted and straight boots, which to a good eye might be picked up on in this years footage (though the boots are all setup identically otherwise, as the abduction on my version is pretty minimal).

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Great skiing, G. Thanks for posting them. Impressive, and fun to watch!

On a thread drift, I've been thinking of getting some adjustable poles, of alpine skiing. Have shortened some nice Komperdell poles and want to keep the hacksaw in the drawer for a bit. Anybody have recommendations? Most concerned about a decent grip, along with decent swing weight. Thanks!

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@Muleski
Thanks for the comments. :thumb: As far as poles go... I'm fairly bound to LEKI so if I get an adjustable pair that is what they will be. I've always liked their products so IMO it is a non-issue.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great skiing - good improvements from years past and at that level, that must've taken a lot of work !!

It's still surprising to me how mellow the terrain looks like in the video, until you get close to where the camera is - most of the runs I think are on Turkey (Wild Turkey?), which is a mean black run that just keeps coming at you, especially hard to control carving speed when it's hardpack or ice... seeing that consistent turn shape there is awesome!

:beercheer:

With the poles - mine also got shorter and shorter, I think I favour 110cm now, down from 120. I had a bunch of all sizes laying around from the kids, so it was easy to test...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Great skiing, G. Thanks for posting them. Impressive, and fun to watch!

On a thread drift, I've been thinking of getting some adjustable poles, of alpine skiing. Have shortened some nice Komperdell poles and want to keep the hacksaw in the drawer for a bit. Anybody have recommendations? Most concerned about a decent grip, along with decent swing weight. Thanks!

If you want to keep swing weight down, the best thing is height-adjustable grips on fixed-length poles, thus:

http://store.goode.com/goode-precision-height-adjustable-grip-for-pure-carbon/

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I guess I'll go to my "sources", but for once I was thinking of paying for something. No LEKI here. Komperdell all the way in this family circle. The only LEKI grips that I like, and I know I'm in the minority are the old school DH and SG grips and straps! We have at some point had some LEKI speed poles.

I'm not THAT concerned about swing weight. I'll do some digging on adjustable poles....and report back. Thanks!

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
And, what Heluva is really showing us is a superb job of engaging the skis in the snow. Calling it "good skiing" misses the point that whatever we do, in one way or another, relates to how the skis engage the snow.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Love that @HeluvaSkier posts these up! What is so fundamental about his skiing is how much most people try and overdue/ over complicate what has to happen during the turn. What I always take away from his skiing is that good body position, balance and tipping are all that you really need.

Props, respect.

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I want to thank those who have posted positive comments. It is very cool to see that people like them. @Johnny V. Yep, everything was filmed this season at Holimont during March and April. @razie actually deserves photo credit for a few of the brushed short turn runs (the rest are my patient wife, who doubles as a coach... she loves giving feedback). @karlo - YouTube chose most of the music so it is possible you'd get better suggestions for their robot.

Despite not requesting MA, I'm happy to answer whatever questions anyone may have.

TS
HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Also, I forgot to mention in my original note... for those who don't know... I primarily ski on weekends - skiing anywhere from 30 to 40 days per season. So for those who want to improve their skiing, I'd say there is a lot that can be attained with very few days on snow... meaning you don't have to log 100+ days per season for multiple years to reach high levels of performance.

Sponsor

Staff online