• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
So, it might peripheral vertigo or it might be motion sickness.

Motion sickness is different. The brain uses three inputs to determine position and orientation, messages from your inner ear, small receptors in our joints/hands/feet that sense position, and vision. When the brain gets conflicting information it can think you are moving even when you aren't, or think you're stationary when you're not. .

Nice summary...I selected this bit as I was going to say in my earlier post that the worst inducer for motion sickness for me is watching first-person movies (poor quality or unstabilised gopro footage for example) or first-person computer games being played by other people. Plays havoc and sets off the first inklings of motion sickness within 10-15 seconds.

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions

I’m not exactly sure why but my wife prides herself in staying as dehydrated as possible so she doesn’t have to stop and pee very often during the day. I’ll encourage her to drink much more water before skiing.

I certainly end up peeing a few more times than I would otherwise but I feel significantly better throughout the day, I consider it a worthwhile trade. I’m sure it helps with stamina which likely translates to improved performance as the day wears on.

I try to drink at least 40oz of water between waking up and starting my ski day. It’s been a real difference maker.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
No back pain issues. Not sure how back pain and nausea are related.
Sorry, not a doctor..sometimes nausea can be heart related. Also can cause back pain. High altitude, low-exertion levels may cause low oxygen or other heart issues. Often women are not looked at for heart disease, have silent heart attacks and don't understand what is happening. I have no idea of her history and health..and I'm not a doc..but don't discount it.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
With what @scott43 just said, I looked up women, heart attacks, and nausea.
Here you go; nausea is listed on some of the lists, but it isn't tops and it isn't on all the lists by any means.
screen-shot-2015-09-04-at-12-36-30-pm.png

ff5eae77e05203ec6a4c0d1dc655eb0e.png

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I've fallen over coming to a stop skiing slowly. I thought I was stopped, I think, or am I moving? Then fell over.

Same experience in both whiteouts and thick fog conditions.

Does your wife wear bibs? Maybe pants that don't requite removing so much clothing to pee might inspire better hydration.

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, not a doctor..sometimes nausea can be heart related. Also can cause back pain. High altitude, low-exertion levels may cause low oxygen or other heart issues. Often women are not looked at for heart disease, have silent heart attacks and don't understand what is happening. I have no idea of her history and health..and I'm not a doc..but don't discount it.

With what @scott43 just said, I looked up women, heart attacks, and nausea.
Here you go; nausea is listed on some of the lists, but it isn't tops and it isn't on all the lists by any means.
screen-shot-2015-09-04-at-12-36-30-pm.png

ff5eae77e05203ec6a4c0d1dc655eb0e.png

I have a little medical experience and am quite certain the nausea my wife is experiencing is not heart related. Thanks for the concern.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nausea? Every morning until about 10:00. Skiing or not.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only thing that makes me nauseated while skiing is a long lift line which works out well as I dry heave my way to the front of the line.

Sponsor

Staff online