• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Coffee Day

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Try https://irvingfarm.com/

They believe in tasting the bean, and what it has to offer, not the roast. Most coffee addicts in merica have become addicted to the roast, not the nuances of the bean. Irving Farm actually develops relationships with small growers so they ship directly from the grower to their roasting barn. At their roasting barn they experiment with each crop to determine the proper roast for that particular crop to maximize and enhance the natural flavors the bean has to offer.

I'm going to look them up. Right now I'm buying 5 lbs. a month from Dean's Beans, and I like it. But I'm always open. :D

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I even like bad coffee. Robusta from a can brewed in a percolator is fine by me. As long as it's coffee. Now, if you happen to have a French Press of freshly ground Kona, I will opt for that instead, of course. But it's all good to me.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
funny-mug-my-name-is-inigo-montoya.-you-drank-my-coffee.-prepare-to-die-.-you-11-oz-coffee-mugs-inspirational-gifts-and_6951307.jpeg

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I even like bad coffee. Robusta from a can brewed in a percolator is fine by me. As long as it's coffee. Now, if you happen to have a French Press of freshly ground Kona, I will opt for that instead, of course. But it's all good to me.

I'm currently drinking a French press of Ahab's Revenge, a dark roast blend that has "the highest caffeine content of any organic coffee!"

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Peet's is pretty amazing, especially given the volume they produce. I first got into buying beans of good coffee when I was going to Humboldt State U. up in way Northern California. The Arcata Co-op had a great selection of beans and that's where I discovered Indonesian coffees. To this day I'm a huge fan of Sulawesi (used to be called Celebes), which I get from a local roaster (who studied at Peet's). If there's no Sulawesi I'll settle for Sumatra or even Java. But I like dark-roasted, slightly greasy beans, ground fresh.

I almost never buy coffee out, I take my trusty Snow Peak mug or Nissan thermos with me. I make it drip, which now seems to be called pour-over. I use a simple Melitta cone camping or on the road, grinding the beans in an old Zassenhaus, which is so cool. I just about never drink coffee after noon, but I will completely freak out if there isn't coffee in the morning.

Coffee, giver of life.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Lately I really like Ethiopian coffee.

Yrgacheffe is my jam.

Honestly, though, I buy my beans from a local coffee shop where the owner hand selects a variety of coffees each month to showcase, all from small batch roasters. So I come home each month with new delicious varietals and roasters so I can't even say I have a favorite. But Yrgacheffe was one of the first types of coffee I had that I could actually taste/smell flavors in and I almost always enjoy them.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The real hands on ultimate experience is to buy green coffee beans (sweetmarias.com) and roast them yourself. I've had great success with a high quality hot air popcorn popper.

The other upside: its actually much cheaper to buy seriously good estate coffee this way than to bargain hunt at Costco. But it does take time.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They believe in tasting the bean, and what it has to offer, not the roast. Most coffee addicts in merica have become addicted to the roast, not the nuances of the bean. Irving Farm actually develops relationships with small growers so they ship directly from the grower to their roasting barn. At their roasting barn they experiment with each crop to determine the proper roast for that particular crop to maximize and enhance the natural flavors the bean has to offer.

+100.
Peet's and/or Starbucks are ok for what they are. And FWIW, I prefer Peet's to Starbucks, which convinced America that if the coffee was roasted really dark and even burned, it must be good. But if you really want to get to know coffee, check out any number of good 3rd wave coffee companies.
Irving Farm is one.
Stumptown.
Intelligencia.
CounterCulture.
Kickapoo.
....And any number of small, committed, knowledgeable roasters who directly source their beans.

Try going to a good shop, too, where they know how to get the very best out of the beans. Once you get a really GOOD cup of coffee, your world will change.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Gust hook me up to an IV filled with coffee every morning. I'll then be firing on all cylinders !
Peet's Major Dickerson is good.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gust hook me up to an IV filled with coffee every morning. I'll then be firing on all cylinders !
Peet's Major Dickerson is good.
And at Costco or Sam's, 2lb for $14ish. Tough to beat. Drinking it right now.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Drinking a cup of Peet's right now. As far as drinking bad coffee? Yes I have and I won't. If I am out and I need a caffeine fix, I would sooner drink tea than some coffee-like brown liquid out of a Bunn machine. One of the things I dread about driving cross country is the Coffee-mate rampant in the central part of the U.S..

James

Out There
Instructor

Yeah except their cafe serves awful coffee. I stopped in Millerton, NY this year and figured surely I could get a decent cup. Nope. Sour, likely brewed at too low a temp. They were closing in 1/2 hour but this was gas station like.

Harney and Sons Tea has a tea shop down the street. Their offices are now right off Rte 22 before the cutoff to downtown Millerton.
https://www.harney.com/pages/the-millerton-shop

Black Bear Coffee roasters in NH has had a really dark roast called "Charbucks". Starbucks sued them to try and stop it. They lost and lost an appeal, I think they stopped there.

IMG_2075.JPG
https://blackbearcoffee.com/products/26?destination=products/all-coffees

Part of the story:
"We felt a strong, ethical obligation to label the product in a very distinctive manner that would alert any consumer to be fully aware of what was in the bag before purchasing it.

The term “Charbucks” had been in widespread usage for many years all over the United States, but during the early 90s, it was being used intensively in the Boston, MA area. George Howell, former owner of the, now non-existent Coffee Connection, had brought it into prominence in the Boston area.

The Coffee Connection was the most popular coffee roastery in Boston, and was known, and highly revered, for roasting coffee in a manner identical to the way we do, that is, not “over roasting” coffee. George Howell, founder and owner of the Coffee Connection, regarded Starbucks as the antithesis to what he believed in. By 1994, the Coffee Connection had expanded to twenty-one retail outlets, and Starbucks was actively attempting to purchase the chain. Since George felt so strongly that Starbucks “over roasted” all of their coffee, he began to refer to Starbucks as “Charbucks” extensively."
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/Starbucks/What's_it_all_about.htm
Appeal:
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBRE9AE0Z120131115

Sponsor

Staff online