• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Coffee Day

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was at a Peet's in the Castro (gay neighborhood in San Francisco, for those who don't know), and I ordered a cup of Major Dickinson's, black. And the barista responded with, "There's nothing like a cup of Major Dick in the morning." :roflmao:

Tho I really love Peerless Coffee, based in Oakland. Sea Smoke is their best blend. But when I'm out, I'll order Peet's Major Dick or lately, their light roast. At Starbucks, I drink Pike. Always black.
I soooo wish I'd been there.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
400F2650-C1A2-4624-A86F-3B16EFE0CA67.jpeg

Hard to find a better coffee roaster in the country than Counter Culture.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it OK if I have coffee again this morning, even though National Coffee Day is over? Just checking.....

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it OK if I have coffee again this morning, even though National Coffee Day is over? Just checking.....
I bet you're on your second cup by now....or third or...
:coffee:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've really been enjoying Trader Joes instant. Instant hot and TJ's takes about 10 seconds to make. Mmm... Maybe I'll take my annual savings not doing Charbucks and buy a new pair of Stocklis.
At home I only do instant and Trader Joes 100% Colombian instant coffee isn't bad but Mount Hagen Organic Fairtrade instant Coffee is better (I buy the M.H. decaf at Whole Foods). Although, to date nothing beats Starbucks VIA Instant medium roast Colombia 100% Arabica Instant and Microground coffee packets which I buy at Costco when on sale.

James

Out There
Instructor
At home I only do instant and Trader Joes 100% Colombian instant coffee isn't bad but Mount Hagen Organic Fairtrade instant Coffee is better (I buy the M.H. decaf at Whole Foods). Although, to date nothing beats Starbucks VIA Instant medium roast Colombia 100% Arabica Instant and Microground coffee packets which I buy at Costco when on sale.
If you want to make an elixir...the Mount Hagen Decaf made with soy milk instead of water. I thought it would be gross but it's delicous.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I start thinking about coffee at about 9 at night but I'd be up like a tree full of owls if I had some. Another Peets fan here. Sumatra pour over, (2.5 tablespoons per cup) 1/2 and 1/2. I'm sure there is better more exotic coffee but Peets is available at Publix for 7.99 per lb on sale. Good stuff.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting... Can Almond milk or Whole milk be substituted for the Soy milk?
Well...it might be good but it wouldn't be the elixir.ogsmile
We used to make it in the microwave actually. When my friend first told me about it I thought she'd lost her mind. But, really it's very good. Always was made with the decaf.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Coffee - the most important meal of the day - all day long!

I am a pour over guy at home and in most coffee shops I order it as well. Hell - even Starbucks is better in a pour over. At home I add a splash of cinnamon to the coffe before brewing.

I got this for Christmas and just had my first cup out of it. A cross between a pour over and a French press. Really good and easy to make. https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/abid/clever

I also use Evans Brothers Coffe right here at the base of Schweitzer Mountain. Great coffe, local company and their signature line of coffee is named after ski runs on the mountain. Drinking a cup of Big Timber now. https://www.evansbrotherscoffee.com/shop/

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
Finally got all my chit to do pour over

Z009Gvch.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got all my chit to do pour over

Z009Gvch.jpg

What cracks me up about the whole pour over thing is that in the fifties, sixties, and seventies my mom, who was possibly the least foodie person in history, made her coffee via pour over in a Chemex carafe every single morning. Honestly I think she was just too frugal to buy a percolator or, later, a "mister coffee."

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember Joe DiMaggio advertising those when they first came out?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got some kona dark roast from a buddy. It's my first try but it came out pretty tasty. Medium grind on a conical burr machine.

Still gonna use the auto drip Mr Coffee on work days when time is at a premium.

Kona dark is a pretty good selection.It has lots of flavor and less caffeine than light or medium roast.

We just got a flat burr. See if we notice any difference.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been doing pour over for years. I actually ran out of coffee on Tuesday and because of my study schedule I didn’t get to the store until today. There have been stops on the way to work but I don’t like not having my own coffee.