• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the responses. I really want to get my new skis on sale. So I probably won't be able to demo. This is what I've been looking at:
http://www.skiessentials.com/2018-liberty-genesis-90-women-s-skis.html
Does anybody have any experience with these? Would these be good for bumps/trees? I'll prioritize those characteristics over good for ice since we don't get real ice.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've always wanted to ski a liberty. Seems like on paper they'd be good in trees and bumps. Things I seem to like in the skis I use for bumps or trees is a ski that has a short turning radius, pivots easily, doesn't have too fat of a tip and is on the lighter side. The liberty seems to tick those boxes. That's a great price and on a very superficial level they are gorgeous. I'm sure some folks will chime in. Given where you ski and what want it for, seems perfect. At that price I'd grab em.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always wanted to ski a liberty. Seems like on paper they'd be good in trees and bumps. Short turning radius, tip's not too wide, lighter material, etc. Great price and on a very superficial level they are gorgeous. I'm sure some folks will chime in. Given where you ski and what want it for, seems perfect. At that price I'd grab em.
The Liberty VMTs are outstanding. Very fun ski. And the graphics are beautiful.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I would say stick with Head and maybe a little narrower like a front side carving ski.

I had a smilar thought but I didn't think OP wanted to feel piste-locked. If OP was herself's size that would read on a Head V-Shape or a wider Fischer of the Ranger type. I should mention that I don't think those would fit the budget criteria, not before the season at least.

TBH, one way of going forward here would be for OP to spend a minimal amount on a used ski and demo around for a function-optimal instead of a budget-optimal ski.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Model Name Bingo.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its too bad we didn't talk about this when we skied together. I would have loved to get you on some of our demo skis.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @luliski , I do agree with you that you needed a narrower ski. Probably more front side oriented.

Since you already enjoyed the Great Joy. That usually meant you like the handling characteristic of The Head Joy line.

The Total Joy (85 mm) is a good ski. Very good on piste, crud while still good in the bumps. My niece had her for couple of seasons with couple trips to W/B and Taos. Also handled New England powder (ice) back east just fine.

If you are looking for something even narrower, you can talk to @Rainbow Jenny about her Super Joy. Nice ski but very particular when it comes to tune.

Another really good 85 ski is the Stockli 85 Motion W. Mamie really enjoyed hers.

Good luck in your hunt.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its too bad we didn't talk about this when we skied together. I would have loved to get you on some of our demo skis.
You did get me on some of your demo skis. I tried the DPS Uschi 82, the Renoun and the Rossi Experience 88 (?)

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only skied them on snow that transitioned from hard pack to slush. I liked the Rossi the best, but only did one run on them, no moguls or trees.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I only skied them on snow that transitioned from hard pack to slush. I liked the Rossi the best, but only did one run on them, no moguls or trees.

Aha. Then it is logical to ask what you didn't like about or felt was missing in the first two.

I agree that there is inadequate information to actually decide for a ski, especially in conditions that (imo) would tend to favor the Rossi.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Luli when you say ICE i imagine your talking about the morning freeze and thaw conditions Tahoe is famous for, for you to get pretty aggressive on that stuff would require a proper front side ripper , low seventies something and of course with aggressive moves you bring falling into play , nobody wants to do that to start there day ( big ol’ Bruise on your backside ).
You liked that Rossi 88 for a reason, they make skiing easier, for what your asking I bet the new 84 Experience, with some new frontside technology in its design would be perfect for what your looking for, if you had to you can get last years model with bindings for around 450.00.
Just take it easy in the morning, by 10:30 your skis will be perfect for the rest of the day !!

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Luli when you say ICE i imagine your talking about the morning freeze and thaw conditions Tahoe is famous for, for you to get pretty aggressive on that stuff would require a proper front side ripper , low seventies something and of course with aggressive moves you bring falling into play , nobody wants to do that to start there day ( big ol’ Bruise on your backside ).
You liked that Rossi 88 for a reason, they make skiing easier, for what your asking I bet the new 84 Experience, with some new frontside technology in its design would be perfect for what your looking for, if you had to you can get last years model with bindings for around 450.00.
Just take it easy in the morning, by 10:30 your skis will be perfect for the rest of the day !!
So how is the Rossi Experience in bumps?

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the design of the 84 and others that look like it,will never hold you back in the bumps , especially if you ride the popular route which is the troughs.
With that being said I’m shelving my weapon of choice the last couple of years, a 98 twin tip that I’ve had the most fun on in any condition IN MY LIFE ( Mammoth, and that’s important ),because of the vague feeling I get because of the turned up tail with my style of bump skiing.
Again no way that design,ski , holds you back from making Gunbarrel your B- word ( for our sensitive listeners in the crowd ).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So how is the Rossi Experience in bumps?

The new one (18-19) is a new creature, as is the new 88. The old 84 is a very good and under rated ski. Like the old 88, it has a good bit of side cut and is front side biased, but is a nice narrow 'all around' performer. Turns quickly, tracks well, and works in a number of different conditions. I haven't skied it on rock hard refrozen, but have skied them on skier compacted hard pan which is one of the more aweful conditions known to humankind... they still tracked fine. Moguls? They were fine, but I'm not you, nor is anyone else, so it's always hard to say, but there are no unicorns out there. Every ski has a thing that's a bit out of it's design brief, but with some time and do-overs, we deal with their personalities in pretty good order. If you're a 'pivot-er' type of skiers, any of the older experience skis will help you learn to ski edge to edge and tail following the path of the tip. That's why they're such popular skis for instructors who are working on their own skiing as well. If you are a 'pivot only' skier, look elsewhere..... buuuuuutttt.... the reality is any good hard snow ski is going to be more tail follows tip/carvy than slip slidy pivot-y.

Do be careful here though... lot's of men'commending what they like rather than trying to see the narrative through your eyes.

Last edited:
TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new one (18-19) is a new creature, as is the new 88.
I think I demoed the new one, but not sure. How different are they?
Do be careful here though... lot's of men'commending what they like rather than trying to see the narrative through your eyes.
My "narrative" might be a little confusing. Maybe I'm looking for two different skis :)?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
For what it's worth...

I ski 17/18 Rossi Exp 84 HD and I find them fine for the situations you outlined (moguls, narrows, hardpacked, hardpacked narrow moguls, trees), will carve just fine on a groomer and handle some pow well enough. As it says on the packet it's an all-mountain frontside ski.

But as markojp stated, we're not you.

Skis seem to be such personal things affected by factors such as height, weight, skiing style and past experience. On that count I'm 5'11" and 165lbs in full gear after a hearty breakfast. My Rossis are 168s - if you buy without demo-ing I'd recommend picking a length to suit weight (Rossi has a table of recommended weight ranges for each ski length) rather than height. My previous skis are Blizzard Bushwackers (from 14/15, 88 under foot), a more flexible version of the Brahma - no metal plate). I like mogul skiing and they are usually hard packed in Australia. (Those Exp 84s also worked fine in moguls on BC powder days.)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
My "narrative" might be a little confusing. Maybe I'm looking for two different skis :)?

Yup, and I think this conversation so far helped you think a little more what you are looking for. If I were you, I would set my mind of what I'm looking for, exactly. And start a clean thread asking for that. Your thread title is about narrow skis, and folks are recommending easy going carvers based on a combination of your OP and you thread title.

People can help right off if you define your need precisely. @markojp in particular was instrumental to all of my ski purchases (which i really appreciate).

It seems to me that you, Luli, are on a ski that is a little wide and perhaps heavy and cumbersome to pivot around in tight spots, and it seems like the early morning ice is not at the top of your list. So, you are probably looking for a lighter, more nimble, ski that can be put on edge but will not lock you into a turn if you don't want to. I would start a clean thread for that, or whatever it is you are looking for, with as much details as possible, of what you don't like of your current skis in certain conditions, and what you are looking for. You'll get the plenty of great suggestions.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I think I demoed the new one, but not sure. How different are they?

I didn't look at the 18-19 e-84, but I can check today. And yes, you might be looking at two different skis, but you only need one. Ski it, figure it out, and have fun!

Sponsor